• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

9" SM Utilathe Restoration

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the holding power of a 2MT was only adequate for drills up to about ¾”. Above that you need the driving tang or some alternate method to keep it from slipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I still have the belt guard in place, with belt tensioned the guard closes. When I'm done for the day I just take the belt off and let the motor down so the guard will close and not hit the handle.

Found an image of my original motor mount.

MotorMount1.JPG

I'm thinking the handle had a extension added (dark area)? As pictured it's in it's relaxed state, so no way the cover would close. Also, the tensioned slot could never be achieved.

tensioner.JPG

I had to slot out the mounting holes an 1/8" on the tensioning bracket to make it fit on my bed, another discrepancy.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
The handle does look modified, it may have added leverage during a belt change since the motor can be a bit heavy.
When I put the new motor on mine I left the motor mount bolts loose, put the belt on, put the handle in the tensioned slot then tightened the bolts. Leaving the bolts loose let the motor find a spot that set the handle in the slot and still had tension to run the spindle. IIRC moving the motor up on the mount moved the handle toward the front of the machine.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Craig,

I have the 4140 piece I machined a couple thou too small for my lathe tailstock. It needs the threads for the handle in the back and you would need to size it diameter wise. Has the #2 morse taper. What are the threads required? 1/2” LH ACME or 9/16?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Craig,

I have the 4140 piece I machined a couple thou too small for my lathe tailstock. It needs the threads for the handle in the back and you would need to size it diameter wise. Has the #2 morse taper. What are the threads required? 1/2” LH ACME or 9/16?

SPINDLE.JPG

SPINDLE:

OD 1.179"
Len 6.0"
Key Way 0.125"

SCREW:

1/2” LH ACME (Assuming ACME implies a fixed pitch)

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey Craig,

what are the grooves running around your spindle for?

ACME is a trapezoidal type thread (like a square thread but at 29°).

is it 1/2 and 10 threads per inch or 8?

What you can do is make a threaded insert with your good Acme threads - I can send you drawings. - I will machine the piece I have to length for you - if you have the exact diameter I can machine the OD as well.

1/2 acme is a bugger to thread on the lathe as it is not much bore diameter to get a boring bar into. They sell taps but they can be costly.

easy way is to press fit your current threads into the new spindle - Abom79 makes a new acme treaded tailstock spindle and makes a brass insert - have a gander on youtube.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey Craig,

what are the grooves running around your spindle for?

ACME is a trapezoidal type thread (like a square thread but at 29°).

is it 1/2 and 10 threads per inch or 8?

10 TPI. Haven't a clue what the grooves are for (there is a hole drilled through the second groove to the screw). Oil reservoir for the gits oiler perhaps?

Brent H

Ultra Member
This could be a plan:

B8270581-B975-424C-A2DB-82EF74DF629D.jpeg
I would send you the spindle part - you would need to add the 1/4 longitudinal groove and the oil hole (check out my post for pics of the one I made)

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yotabota,

That is good to know. 9/16 is about the limit to internal thread acme and it takes prep. I had success running the chuck backwards onto the tool bit verses running forward and feeding away from the chuck.

With a tap you could make the threaded insert out of brass or bronze as was done on Abom79's video (he internal threaded though)

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Thanks Yotabota! Going to have to look into ordering some of these. I think the cross slide nut on my lathe is getting worn.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Here’s a picture of the spare quill that I have. It has a threaded bronze insert held in with a roll pin. It looks like the roll pin was put in, bored out and then a tap was run through. It seems like a hard way to do it, but I can see where the roll pin has a partial thread cut in it.
I’ve seen similar attachments but with the roll pin far enough off center to not interfere with the threads.

Attachments

• BF1AA9EB-3FF4-4AC9-A256-C074E5B85334.jpeg
    BF1AA9EB-3FF4-4AC9-A256-C074E5B85334.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Not quite ready to trash the scored spindle in order to obtain an ACME thread insert yet.

XSNut.JPG

But look what happens to be the right thread. That's the cross slide nut. Also, I'm seeing ACME thread couplers are available. One of those could be turned round to make an insert.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I have bought Acme 1" threaded rod & nuts (in-stock, not a special order thing) at a bolt supply store in Red Deer and they had a rack of smaller sizes as well, there should be a fastener place in cowtown somewhere that carries that stuff.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hey YYC. Are you dead sure on the diameter of the spindle? I can turn it to exact as I can get and then ship it out to you. If I blow it, well, then there is no wasted shipping - LOL

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hey YYC. Are you dead sure on the diameter of the spindle? I can turn it to exact as I can get and then ship it out to you. If I blow it, well, then there is no wasted shipping - LOL

OD is 1.179"

The alignment slot is 0.125" wide and 0.125" deep.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
Personal question YYC - Does your shaft have any wiggle when you put it about half way into the bore of the tail stock? LOL

like can I shoot for 1.180” ?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well...… I figured out why the motor is bouncing:(

PULLEY.JPG

This pulley is really loose on the motor shaft. Tightening down the lock screw cants the pully and pulls it eccentric.
It's almost as if the bore on the pulley is tapered? It fits on the shaft one way but not the other.

SHAFT.JPG

The motor shaft is a little chewed up but appears to be 5/8".

I was a little perplexed by the motor bounce. With the belt removed is runs real smooth. Install the belt and the motor would bounce. Was really noticeable in low gear.

With luck the pulley Brent has sent me will fit the motor shaft better other wise I'll have to figure out how to bush the slop out.

Last edited: