• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

9" SM Utilathe Restoration

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
View attachment 8441

This headstock drive pulley keeps migrating away from the headstock. I diligently check the pulley lock screws to make sure they are tight, but it still moves. Today I found the pulley had migrated a good 1/4" (away from the headstock) from what I consider to be where it should be. Is this the drive belt system's way of telling me that it's out of alignment and where it settles is where it should be?
I don't have thoses pulley mine on top have 2 and on the motor I have only a single.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Robin if the hood understood.

HeadStockShaft.JPG

The pulley set screw engages the shaft key. That shaft measures 0.625" (5/8"), the pully bore measures 0.626". It fits rather well. I just realized that the key has broken into two pieces. Could that have something to do with this?

@Brent H to the rescue..... he sent me a key with all the misc parts from the parts machine we canalized. Will see if this rectifies the issue.

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
where in the pulley is the set screw located? Why does the old key have 2 contact marks? And I suggest possibly loctite on the set screw to alleviate some possibility of working loose

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
where in the pulley is the set screw located? Why does the old key have 2 contact marks? And I suggest possibly loctite on the set screw to alleviate some possibility of working loose

The set screw is located at the second sheave from the outboard side. Where it sets on the key is the mark nearest the break in the key. Obviously the key got switched 180 deg at some point in time hence the two contact marks. I applied Loctite to the screw when I replaced the key thanks.

Craig

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Marc Moreau - you should have a double pulley on the motor which will give you all the speeds properly. I had to make a new one for my lathe. It was a good project (see my 10" Utilathe restoration) . You could probably make one out of steel verses the cast iron one I made. I have the original broken one if you require measurements to make one?

@YYCHobbyMachinist : glad you have the spare key! when your pulley is on take a straight edge and verify that the upper and lower pulleys are in the same plane so the belt is riding nice and straight and not trying to pull in any direction.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
@Marc Moreau - you should have a double pulley on the motor which will give you all the speeds properly. I had to make a new one for my lathe. It was a good project (see my 10" Utilathe restoration) . You could probably make one out of steel verses the cast iron one I made. I have the original broken one if you require measurements to make one?

@YYCHobbyMachinist : glad you have the spare key! when your pulley is on take a straight edge and verify that the upper and lower pulleys are in the same plane so the belt is riding nice and straight and not trying to pull in any direction.
Yes you could send the measurement ,are they hard to find ? I never did a job like that ?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Today I setup to turn between centers as I wanted to check my tailstock alignment.

1.JPG

First pass kind of says it all. Something is out, I'm turning a taper.

2.JPG

Over 5 1/2" there is a 0.024" discrepancy in the diameter of my test piece. 0.727" dia near the headstock to 0.703" dia at the tailstock.

Soo now, how do I go about figuring out in which plane(s) the tailstock is out? Do I need to purchase a test bar?

Craig

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Craig, it seems that your tailstock is too far towards the operator. You need to move it away from you. I would start with about 12 thou ( use a dial indicator on the TS quill). Take another cut. Measure. Adjust TS by half the error until all taper is gone.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Hi Craig, it seems that your tailstock is too far towards the operator. You need to move it away from you. I would start with about 12 thou ( use a dial indicator on the TS quill). Take another cut. Measure. Adjust TS by half the error until all taper is gone.

Well there you go. There is a witness mark on the tailstock casting that currently indicates exactly what you describe. I'll move her over and try again.

Thanks!

Craig

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You are welcome.
Those marks are usually just for rough setting of center. Adjustment either side is expected to get true parts (or intensional tapers, for that matter).

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Once you get the tail stock dialed in you will enjoy another bonus - much improved drilling accuracy when using the tail stock chuck which is misaligned by the same amount. If you have been seeing drill wobble or even breaking smallish drills & center drills, this is why. TS alignment is important.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Once you get the tail stock dialed in you will enjoy another bonus - much improved drilling accuracy when using the tail stock chuck which is misaligned by the same amount. If you have been seeing drill wobble or even breaking smallish drills & center drills, this is why. TS alignment is important.

That's exactly why I decided to check it! Was having all kinds of drill bit wobble.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well... it took 5 adjustment passes, but I have her down to 0.0005" diameter discrepancy (taper towards the tailstock) over 5 1/2". That will make it 0.002" over 22". Don't think I'm gonna be able to make it any better.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes good job. Now that you know the drill, if you ever wanted to make a useful tool from basically scrap, I'm pretty confident the way I described a homebrew in post#6 would be perfectly acceptable.
https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/edge-technology-alignment-bar.1963/#post-21275

With that tool you don't have to go through turning & cutting & measuring diameters. Just set it between centers, get a dial reading on the headstock disc, compare to tailstock disk., move the TS so it agrees. Its that simple. You can physically watch the dial displace to the target reading as you tweak the tailstock over & tighten it down (which is another source of error). Your TS may drift out of position over time, or if you ever consciously move it to cut tapers, its good to have quick & accurate way to restore co-axial alignment. As mentioned in that post, the longer you make your tool, the more inherently accurate it is all other things equal.