• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

3D Scanning large Boats

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I thought about scanning them when they were sleeping, but my Son would be WAAAAAY too critical of the the facial features "why does it look like im sleeping"....lol.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Well you could do what I now need to resort to in order to groom one of my two dogs. Trazodone.
If you have the time and inclination, check out Cooperative Care by Deb Jones. Not an instant fix but amazing results. My wife has trained our dog Seamus and our previous dog Speckles to both file their own front and back nails.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
If you have the time and inclination, check out Cooperative Care by Deb Jones. Not an instant fix but amazing results. My wife has trained our dog Seamus and our previous dog Speckles to both file their own front and back nails.
I'll check her out.

Ours are 11 years old, and the one has been traumatized due to being hospitalized with pancreatitis a few times and having too many blood tests that required shaving his foreleg. I can groom everything just fine except his legs when he gets fussy

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I'll check her out.

Ours are 11 years old, and the one has been traumatized due to being hospitalized with pancreatitis a few times and having too many blood tests that required shaving his foreleg. I can groom everything just fine except his legs when he gets fussy
And this was Speckles doing his back feet.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Today I contacted the owner of the marina. I told him about my backlog, which will be 100 percent cleared by friday upcoming. He replied by email to not work on the project anymore. I then responded that I will be at his shop next week to pick up my blocks and aluminum and have a discussion.

I feel that like the mold industry, I have been put on HOLD. I am going to present invoices for work done... I am owed about 1K as far as I am concerned. I will bring data on a stick.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
To bad, do you think it was a time related thing? or the whole project has been put on hold?

Hope you get some of your time paid for in either case

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
That sucks......

I hope you don't have any big capital to eat.
Yup, I have paid out of pocket to do this work. I had to pay my maintenance on the scanner software to process the scans. I did a small scan also of a Century logo. My red flag should have gone up at that time, because he told me to stop that job also... Maybe he thought the scanning was free >>>???? Also, my brother in law warned me about his reputation that he is gaining. Bro went to get his engine removed and fixed. The owner told him no problem, go up front and talk to my wife, we will send the quote. 6 months later, no quote. He ended up borrowing my hoist and did the pullout himself. One of his friends took a boat there and was told 3-4 weeks to repair (springtime) He got the boat back in September, and two weeks later the parts that were "fixed" broke again.

Below is a copy of the letter that will accompany my invoice(s)

Rough estimate to process a job the size of the Independence boat interior is 50 hours. This includes conversion to CAD data in STP format. This does not include onsite scanning which is billed at a higher rate. Each job is different, and so this estimate can only be used as a guide. Please note that Artec Studio required maintenance to be paid to do this work. Cost was $1200 USD. My 2014 computer with 192 GB Ram was scrolling to the hard disk processing this data (550 GB RAM in use). Future scans will require breaking the scan into quadrants, then merging them. This should reduce scrolling to the hard drive. A faster computer is required to do more complex work.

Future scans may require a combination of the scanners, depending on the level of detail required. Creaform scanner requires markers and so setup time increases, but quality is much better. Processing of data in both Artec Studio and VXelements is very similar. Process after the native files are converted to mesh is identical.

Each job will require a written agreement. Payment is due within 15 days of invoice. If job is cancelled before the end, all money for time spent is due with delivery of invoice. Data will be provided in the state it is at time of cancellation.

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
To bad, do you think it was a time related thing? or the whole project has been put on hold?

Hope you get some of your time paid for in either case
I am actually only 4 weeks out since the scans were competed, I told him that I was tied up for a week and a half. We are now just past 2 weeks.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
My 2014 computer with 192 GB Ram was scrolling to the hard disk processing this data (550 GB RAM in use). Future scans will require breaking the scan into quadrants, then merging them. This should reduce scrolling to the hard drive. A faster computer is required to do more complex work.

Creaform scanner requires markers and so setup time increases, but quality is much better. Processing of data in both Artec Studio and VXelements is very similar. Process after the native files are converted to mesh is identical.

Dont take this the wrong way but I would omit both of those statements from your letter, TMI, you shouldn't tell your customer that your computer, at least in your opinion is not up to the task, it makes you look uncapable, and the bit about a creaform scanner, it sounds like you are telling him that the equipment you used is also not the best for the task, your casting doubt on your own work, less info is more in this case

I hope you can recover some of your costs at the very least, getting screwed on the odd job is inevitable if you have been in buisnes for a while, but it still sucks

I am actually only 4 weeks out since the scans were competed, I told him that I was tied up for a week and a half. We are now just past 2 weeks.

Some customers are just never happy, you tell them at the start of the job "it will take two weeks", a week in your going for meetings to explain why your not done after one week, unrealistic expectations have become the norm these days

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Below is a copy of the letter that will accompany my invoice(s)

I know you are pissed, but your goal for now is to get the 1K you think you are owed. Frankly, I think that is already at risk.

But a letter like that will virtually guarantee that you will never see it. I'd wait till the next time he wants work before I provided those kinds of conditions. Preferably when he is desperate. For now, the best you can hope for is some of that integrity you initially thought he had. I certainly wouldn't punch him before you get it.

Also, I'd go see him instead of putting anything "icy" in writing just yet. It's much harder for him to tell you to FO when you are standing in front of him.

Lastly, my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Dont take this the wrong way but I would omit both of those statements from your letter, TMI, you shouldn't tell your customer that your computer, at least in your opinion is not up to the task, it makes you look uncapable, and the bit about a creaform scanner, it sounds like you are telling him that the equipment you used is also not the best for the task, your casting doubt on your own work, less info is more in this case

I hope you can recover some of your costs at the very least, getting screwed on the odd job is inevitable if you have been in buisnes for a while, but it still sucks

Some customers are just never happy, you tell them at the start of the job "it will take two weeks", a week in your going for meetings to explain why your not done after one week, unrealistic expectations have become the norm these days
I will not use any extra letter at this point. I will not do this kind of work without a contract ever again. Which scanner I choose to use is really up to me. During the initial line up it was plus or minus 0.06. On the clarification meeting he change it to 0.03 and said he needed all lines where the plywood meets on the floor.... everything lofted if is not flat. So the expectations grew. My timeline from promised is really only plus 1 week.

Maybe his customer walked ??? This is why a contract is needed for sure.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I know you are pissed, but your goal for now is to get the 1K you think you are owed. Frankly, I think that is already at risk.

But a letter like that will virtually guarantee that you will never see it. I'd wait till the next time he wants work before I provided those kinds of conditions. Preferably when he is desperate. For now, the best you can hope for is some of that integrity you initially thought he had. I certainly wouldn't punch him before you get it.

Also, I'd go see him instead of putting anything "icy" in writing just yet. It's much harder for him to tell you to FO when you are standing in front of him.

Lastly, my advice is worth what you paid for it.
I am going on Tuesday to retrieve my 2.3.4 blocks and strip of aluminum. I will discuss this with him then, and I have the invoices, but leave the letter out.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am going on Tuesday to retrieve my 2.3.4 blocks and strip of aluminum. I will discuss this with him then, and I have the invoices, but leave the letter out.

Good Matt. I'll be praying for you.

Maybe his customer walked ??? This is why a contract is needed for sure.

That is a VERY STRONG possibility, but it's not a defensible reason for him to screw you out of your grand. You worked for him, not his customer. However, it's a totally defensible reason to pull the plug on the project.

Let's hope for the best here and assume that this guy has the integrity you thought he did when you started the job, and you get your grand.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
its good to have a contract so that everyone knows what is expected from the start, in writing, timelines, quality, etc

BUT, and this is a big BUT, a contract does not guarantee you get paid, civil court in Canada has no teeth, you can talk to anyone who has been through civil proceedings, its pretty much a waste of time/money for small amounts, your best off to wash your hands off it and move on, its better for your mental health

really, the small busines world just works on the honor system, and i really do hope you get some of your money

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I tried scanning my kids heads hoping to make some bobble heads out of them, but it's damn near impossible to sit perfectly still for long enough to get a good scan. I tried everything from rotating them on a shop stool, to me rotating around them, and it was not a joyful experience....... I even thought about making a halo head fixture for scanning (Since fixture making is my day job) but am not that interested in it....Crazy glue and some truss rods would be easier.......:D Maybe next time moms not around lol.
The most recent NeRF (Neural Radiance Field) stuff is able to stitch disconnected snaps from disparate poses into coherent humans. It's quite distressing to me. Probably 1-2 years to product.
This is right smack in my field and I can't be arsed to learn about it properly. Another sign of impending retirement.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
BUT, and this is a big BUT, a contract does not guarantee you get paid,

This is exactly the advice I give everyone - big or small business. Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

My acid test was always to have lunch or dinner with whoever I was doing business with before any final agreement. Then I watched how they treated the Waitress. It's important to see what is inside a man's heart by the way he treats someone who he will never see again. It was no guarantee, but it was pretty damn good.