• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

3D Scanning large Boats

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am scanning and redesigning the interior of a Chris Craft 1964 Commander Sport Cruiser. I am attaching the photo, and hull scan photos. I will be getting the deck soon as they move it into this building.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I was able to find some documentation on this hull. They were made till 1971. About 280 were made, Night shift is pulling the engines tonight to send out for rebuild. This boat is due in April... Sorry @Susquatch, I misread the part about volunteer... I am an employee-contractor of the marina, and they are charging a lot to modernize this vintage boat. This one is coming into the boathouse tomorrow and a MUCH LARGER monstrosity !!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry @Susquatch, I misread the part about volunteer...

No sweat. When I read your first reply I laughed cuz I knew you didn't catch that zinger. My omni-present sense of humour can be both dry and/or obvious, depending on the moment. So I never take offense when someone doesn't catch it or doesn't think it's funny. I just laugh at myself and move on.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
By next week this complete boat will be a solid model.
I’m interested in what your general process is to go from a scan to a solid model?

I have future dreams of having an aircraft I’m interested in scanned and then turning it into a solid model to generate cross sections.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I’m interested in what your general process is to go from a scan to a solid model?

I have future dreams of having an aircraft I’m interested in scanned and then turning it into a solid model to generate cross sections.
You just said the process, in the wrong order. My first step is alignment. I need to align multiple scans to each other and the WCS. After this, then they get exported back out and converted to NURBS surfaces using an automatic utility. This will get me close. From this, the surfaces are brought back into NX and sections and intersections created to planes or other surfaces. These sections are generally dirty and then are exported out to Mastercam for unification and simplification. They are then brought back into NX to create surfaces through Mesh curves. After all the surfaces are created, extended, and sewn together, I can make a solid model..... It is a long process that is being refined. It requires NX, Mastercam, Wrap, and Artec Studio to do all the work.. Also the scanner is industrial grade. Do you have a target to scan? Maybe it would be possible to help you if you are not across the country...

Last edited by a moderator:

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
You just said the process, in the wrong order. My first step is alignment...
Thanks for your description, that is helpful for me!
…Do you have a target to scan? Maybe it would be possible to help you if you are not across the country...
I sent you a PM with a bit more explanation. You’re about 10 hours drive away from the aircraft I’d love to scan when I’m retired.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Here is an update.. I will be making the boxed furniture into real cabinets with drawers, separate pieces parts very soon. This is still the boxed version of the furniture. The hull is now a solid model.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey Aburg, how did you scan the internal parts of the hull to get a true 3D hull? I would think a big part of it is under sides and such that are not removeable and you can't get under them?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Hey Aburg, how did you scan the internal parts of the hull to get a true 3D hull? I would think a big part of it is under sides and such that are not removeable and you can't get under them?
I shell the inside with 1 thick wall stock. Extract the surfaces, Close them into another solid. I then put in the support ribs into the B side model and other details, before cutting it again form the original solid model... This effectively hollows it out... What you see on the image though is just translucency. I have not yet done the hollowing part. This picture shows the B side ready to cut. from A side..

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What you see on the image though is just translucency. I have not yet done the hollowing part. The picture shows the B side ready to cut. from A side..

I see. So you really don't scan the inside of the hull, you just infer it from the outside scan. Right?

There is also something wierd going on with the projection. Not sure I can put my finger on it, but it's most noticeable on the swim platform behind the transom. Once you see it, it's noticeable all the way from the back to the front. Any idea what is going on there?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I see. So you really don't scan the inside of the hull, you just infer it from the outside scan. Right?

There is also something wierd going on with the projection. Not sure I can put my finger on it, but it's most noticeable on the swim platform behind the transom. Once you see it, it's noticeable all the way from the back to the front. Any idea what is going on there?
I scanned the inside the green solid above is derived from the scanned model as far as support ribs. I will not put 100 percent detail back into the B side. We will be gluing plywood onto the ribs to fasten thin plywood that can be formed for the sides. Then they will cover it in fabric. Bothe the swim deck on back and canopy overhead are showing interference because the concept is no bought off on yet... Also, both those extensions are manually done, and so really I just need a picture.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's quite the undertaking. The physical size and (I imagine) stitching partial scans together, reference dimensions etc.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
That's quite the undertaking. The physical size and (I imagine) stitching partial scans together, reference dimensions etc.
It is a very large job for sure. I still have all the models on my OneDrive and will be using this as a blog on my website in the near future... Today, I had to step back and withdraw from this company. I may still work for him, but it will be from home as a remote contract worker.. Meanwhile, I am actively looking for regular employment as a Mold Designer in Windsor. (concluded the thread)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Life is full of very tough decisions. Sounds like you just made one of the most difficult ones there are. But just think - now you have more time in that beautiful new shop of yours!

I just finished getting the last of my crops off last night. Now I get to worry about working dirt! Pick a nicy sunny day right after a good rain and drive East for an hour and a bit. I heard there is an ugly hairy ornery old man around there with a fishing hole in the back yard....... Great place for a beer, dreamin, and jawin.