• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

3D Scanning large Boats

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
as the technology and knowledge of its existence becomes more main stream you will only get more and more business with it

When they replaced our kitchen counter tops this past year, they measured everything with a scanner and created a layout map that even followed the wall curves. When the counter arrived, it fit like a glove.

The guy who scanned it told me that's all he does now is measure rooms for counters and custom cabinets. He works very low hours and is quite comfortable. I think he said that the scanner and connected laptop was 50k though.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The one thing I learned cutting my teeth in business in the elevator industry was how to collect the money and get paid. In all my years in working I can count on one hand not getting all whats owed.

Well, you are sure right about that!

No offense intended to you personally. But I remember my very first elevator construction experience like it was yesterday. I wanted 4 cabs for people and one freight cab. The architects told me that was 5 more cabs than I'd want when the job was done. I should have paid more attention........

The elevator business has you by the short hairs, they know it, and they like it!

Ya, they always got paid. Often more than they quoted. That didn't bother me because that's usually the case with subcontractors. The changes kill you. But the elevator business is unique. Their total cost is WAAAY more than they actually earned after taking into account their negative impact on the schedule and the other contractors.

My next building still had elevators but the schedule didn't depend on them. I had two huge stairwells and all heavy construction was completed using cranes instead of a freight elevator. It cost a fortune but saved big money in the long run. Interestingly enough, the elevators were done on schedule too.... Funny how no ransom capability evens things out.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
When they replaced our kitchen cabinets this past year, they measured everything with a scanner and created a layout map that even followed the wall curves. When the counter arrived, it fit like a glove.

The guy who scanned it told me that's all he does now is measure rooms for counters and custom cabinets. He works very low hours and is quite comfortable. I think he said that the scanner and connected laptop was 50k though.
I was just talking to the seller of my Leo. He runs a business in Toronto that does scanning, 3D printing... etc. Very high end printing mainly. He told me the server computer is WAY beyond anything they have. It is probably an overkill. I am now looking at the latest I9-13900KS chipset. This CPU is 6 times faster than what I have. Unfortunately with consumer grade products, 128 GB RAM is the maximum that it will allow. The key is to have 2 SSD's. If it scrolls, magnetic hard-drive will slow it huge. Other ways to improve process is to break it (the scanned geometry) into quadrants. On the hardware side, I am building a quote now using the I9-13900KS and DDR5 RAM.

I will look into other cabinet installers for homes when I begin to seriously market this business. I still need to clean my plate. !!

Well, you are sure right about that!

No offense intended to you personally. But I remember my very first elevator construction experience like it was yesterday. I wanted 4 cabs for people and one freight cab. The architects told me that was 5 more cabs than I'd want when the job was done. I should have paid more attention........

The elevator business has you by the short hairs, they know it, and they like it!

Ya, they always got paid. Often more than they quoted. That didn't bother me because that's usually the case with subcontractors. The changes kill you. But the elevator business is unique. Their total cost is WAAAY more than they actually earned after taking into account their negative impact on the schedule and the other contractors.

My next building still had elevators but the schedule didn't depend on them. I had two huge stairwells and all heavy construction was completed using cranes instead of a freight elevator. It cost a fortune but saved big money in the long run. Interestingly enough, the elevators were done on schedule too.... Funny how no ransom capability evens things out.
Remember service and new construction are different. In new consteuction Architects generally set the spec, and you get what the Architect wants, he also drives 99% of your delays because of a slow approval process or trying to change the spec through changed approvals for something that was not initially spec'd.

Not saying the trade is without faults (too many to mention which is why I left, I was in sales and had some ethics), however in new constructions defence, they get blamed for having to deal with the errors of other trades just to get the elevators installed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In my opinion, that's all very true. In new construction, almost everyone blames someone else.

In the way of confessions, even the owners have to take a huge part of the blame through late change orders, decision delays, and of course payment delays. I'd like to believe I wasn't to blame for any of that, but some might say otherwise.

I will say this, those late payments are mostly due to purchasing and finance who usually don't earn a lot of money honestly, instead they make money on interest on the backs of others who lost it. I always hated that.

I used to tell contractors to build it into their estimates in the form of an early payment credit. That way the estimates could be compared apples to apples and they wouldn't get skinned through late payments. I also liked early completion bonuses, and cost plus change orders.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
1- more cores, less ram, different processing strategy
2 - wait for next generation PC, different processing strategy
3 - anyone want to buy some DDR4 RAM ? If I go with option 1, I can reduce this PC back to a node on the network, or for benching trials.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
My computer has been processing the 1 mm setting for 18 hours and I have no idea if it will finish. I am going to let it go overnight. If it does not finish by tomorrow, I will terminate the process. I have a 3mm pictured below, and a 2mm done. I will just work with that and have learned the limitations of this computer, and better strategy next scan. I will just model from the finished mesh files and move forward.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
At work they scanned an entire mine processing plant. Big big big. Really good for as-built technical drawings.
I am sure they would have used a scanner like this (see PDF). to do much of it, combined with something like the Leo.

1678037396868.png

Artec scanners are really meant more for large items. They also have scanners with small field of view such as the Spider or Micro for intricate detail. All the Artec scanners are Structured light, where as for high precision metrology you need a laser scanner like from Creaform.

Attachments

• Artec3D-Ray.pdf
    717.1 KB · Views: 2

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I have now separated my files into segments to make design easier. I am only showing the most important part now which is the room with appliances and furniture. This is a mesh file still. My next job is to convert this into solid models. Furniture and fridge will be separate from room design. I have a second file that contains the windows and ceiling.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I really needed 3D scanning services about a year ago. But I guess I really didn't because I can no longer recall which project I thought I needed it for.

But the potential is so huge I should start playing around with photogrammetry software at least. Use it to make a 3D image of my head. Use that to make a 3D printed guide to trim my beard into a perfect van dyke. Or if I used a skull cap I could 3D print a head to use for getting proper hat size when I sew more hats up.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I really needed 3D scanning services about a year ago. But I guess I really didn't because I can no longer recall which project I thought I needed it for.

But the potential is so huge I should start playing around with photogrammetry software at least. Use it to make a 3D image of my head. Use that to make a 3D printed guide to trim my beard into a perfect van dyke. Or if I used a skull cap I could 3D print a head to use for getting proper hat size when I sew more hats up.
Since I’m on lunch I will respond. Abraham Lincoln had his face cast in plaster - the Smithsonian still has it. And predictably it’s been 3D scanned. You could print it on your 3D printer if you’re keen.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Since I’m on lunch I will respond. Abraham Lincoln had his face cast in plaster - the Smithsonian still has it. And predictably it’s been 3D scanned. You could print it on your 3D printer if you’re keen.

My face is quite differently shaped than Abe's. I will try to find it though and play with it. I'm trying to learn how to better model and revise 3D meshes at the moment so if nothing else it would be a good learning tool.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
My face is quite differently shaped than Abe's. I will try to find it though and play with it. I'm trying to learn how to better model and revise 3D meshes at the moment so if nothing else it would be a good learning tool.
This one is a closer match..

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I tried scanning my kids heads hoping to make some bobble heads out of them, but it's damn near impossible to sit perfectly still for long enough to get a good scan. I tried everything from rotating them on a shop stool, to me rotating around them, and it was not a joyful experience....... I even thought about making a halo head fixture for scanning (Since fixture making is my day job) but am not that interested in it....Crazy glue and some truss rods would be easier.......:D Maybe next time moms not around lol.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I tried scanning my kids heads hoping to make some bobble heads out of them, but it's damn near impossible to sit perfectly still for long enough to get a good scan. I tried everything from rotating them on a shop stool, to me rotating around them, and it was not a joyful experience....... I even thought about making a halo head fixture for scanning (Since fixture making is my day job) but am not that interested in it....Crazy glue and some truss rods would be easier.......:D Maybe next time moms not around lol.
Well you could do what I now need to resort to in order to groom one of my two dogs. Trazodone.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member

Well you could do what I now need to resort to in order to groom one of my two dogs. Trazodone.
LOL, I was just about to type benzodiazepines, any flavor will do... when you responded @TorontoBuilder

Last edited: