@Janger @TorontoBuilder @PeterT
I have a Bambu p2s with AMS 2 Pro. I also have PLA, PETG, and ABS Fillament. I have Tupperware containers for Fillament spools and they have small air relative humidity gauges.
I don't want to be constantly drying Fillament. I just want to dry it once and then keep it dry. Preferably with dessicant.
I live in the worst humidity conditions in Canada.
New filament comes in sealed bags and I assume it is dry.
I believe I grasp what the 3 of you are saying.
TB - Thank you for the very fullsome explanation of how air and Fillament differ. You have confirmed what I expected. The filament doesn't have the same water holding parameters that air has. So a sealed system at equilibrium at 70°F might have air at 10% Rh, but PLA at 40% of its capacity and dessicant at say 60%. Those numbers are just examples not what I really expect.
From what I can see after several novice tests is that the dessicant will reliably reduce the Rh of the air in a sealed container to about 10% at roughly 70°F. It doesn't seem to matter much if the dessicant is fresh. As long as it hasn't changed colour significantly yet, the air will reach 10%. It just takes time.
Note - I do not know how accurate the little humidity/temp gauges are. But I bought a set of eight and they all read consistently which at least suggests that they might be pretty good. The 10% limit might not be real though. 10% might be the lowest number they will display not the actual humidity of the air.
I'm very familiar with psychometric charts for water in air. So I get all that stuff about how temp affects Rh. What I'm not familiar with is the characteristics of water in various filaments and in dessicant. But you have confirmed what I suspected. They are not the same as air. What I am hoping though is that one can use a known Rh and temp of air to determine the actual humidity of various fillaments at 70F and at equilibrium. Specifically equilibrium humidity with air at 70F and 10% Rh - which seems to be a reliably achievable condition.
Despite advice to the contrary, I would prefer not to buy a dessicant dryer and I'd prefer not to use the drying capability of my AMS (to avoid damaging the PLA accessories inside there).
What I want to do is use a simple cheap toaster oven to refresh dessicant and then use dessicant to dry my filament. At least on the surface, this seems to work - albeit very slowly, but still plenty fast enough for an old beast like me.
I tried unsuccessfully to find charts for the various filaments that show equilibrium humidity vs air humidity. I don't wish to know as much as you know about that. I'd be happy to know what it is for air at 10% Rh at 70°F for each of the various fillaments. I suppose, I'm also interested in knowing how long it takes to get there if the filament was saturated with as much water as it can hold at that temp.
Similarly, I am interested in knowing how the dessicant behaves in the background. It seems to have a much more aggressive water absorption characteristic - much like an actual dehumidifier except without the need to use temperature to precipitate the saturated water. So I don't think I can use the humidity of the equilibrium air to determine the humidity of the dessicant. Does something like that exist for dessicant? Or is this one of those parameters you just have to accept? Ie the driving force of absorbing water is so high and the curve is so flat that it will keep working until it changes colour and then it's done and must be refreshed.
JA - I'm impressed at your weighing approach. If it turns out that my little gauge system is useless, I'll try doing that too. My problem with your method is that you can't know the initial or final humidity of the fillament using that method. You really only know how much water was removed. If the humidity meter system works, I won't need that method. But I'm prepared to do it if I need to.