2.2 KW VFD, $70.39, Fullfilled by Amazon.ca

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I linked through from my original order.
But when I do that now they are back to $144.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Ok so here is a question for you. Mine is the 2.2 KW and one of the motors I have is 3 hp 575 volts so for those of us who are new to these is there a voltage range? E4E4520F-89DA-42C5-8D41-51CC47DA6647.jpeg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ok so here is a question for you. Mine is the 2.2 KW and one of the motors I have is 3 hp 575 volts so for those of us who are new to these is there a voltage range?
These VFDs produce 220v 3-phase power so they won't power a 575v motor.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
All vfds will, by design, accept a single phase input. ALL OF THEM.

The sticking point is whether you can turn off phase loss detection. Most drives made in the last 20 years have this feature. Consult the manual. Some can be fooled with a jumper from L2 to L3 so the drive sees the input . Some require this when running on single phase. Again, consult the manual.

When single phasing a drive, you must derate because the bridge rectifiers are seeing a larger load. The input current is spread over less diodes. Each diode has to handle more current.

To run a 575v motor from single phase, you can do it two different ways. Both include a transformer.

240v single phase to transformer, produces 575v single phase, 575v vfd, now you have 575v three phase.

240v single phase to 240v vfd, now you have 240v 3 phase, to 3 phase transformer with 240v primary, 575v secondary. Now you have 575v 3ph

Or replace motor with 240v 3ph and keep everything 240v. This is what most people will do.

Hope this helps

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
All vfds will, by design, accept a single phase input. ALL OF THEM.

The sticking point is whether you can turn off phase loss detection. Most drives made in the last 20 years have this feature. Consult the manual. Some can be fooled with a jumper from L2 to L3 so the drive sees the input . Some require this when running on single phase. Again, consult the manual.

When single phasing a drive, you must derate because the bridge rectifiers are seeing a larger load. The input current is spread over less diodes. Each diode has to handle more current.

To run a 575v motor from single phase, you can do it two different ways. Both include a transformer.

240v single phase to transformer, produces 575v single phase, 575v vfd, now you have 575v three phase.

240v single phase to 240v vfd, now you have 240v 3 phase, to 3 phase transformer with 240v primary, 575v secondary. Now you have 575v 3ph

Or replace motor with 240v 3ph and keep everything 240v. This is what most people will do.

Hope this helps
Thanks, I didn't think 575 was possible without a transformer.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks, I didn't think 575 was possible without a transformer.

There are VFD's that will produce 240v from a 120v input, but being that 575v seems to be fairly uncommon in the industrial world outside of Canada, I don't know of any VFD's that can do 575v from 240v.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
There are VFD's that will produce 240v from a 120v input, but being that 575v seems to be fairly uncommon in the industrial world outside of Canada, I don't know of any VFD's that can do 575v from 240v.
Yup, I have a Teco 120v-->240v running my surface grinder. It's only 1hp or I would have likely run another 22ov circuit.

Well once again this forum cost me money ! Lol
Ordered this ... don’t need it yet but for $95 figured I’d give it a try.
2cf6627bbbc283b21c6c8e72e68f6640.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It's funny how the price of that thing goes up and down.

It's almost as if they are waving a carrot in front of your nose LOL.