• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2.2 KW VFD, $70.39, Fullfilled by Amazon.ca

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Make it up to Calgary very often? @Tom Kitta can probably sell you a 3 phase motor pretty cheap.
Well I don't get up there much but I know he has mentioned that he has motors for sale and I think he will be the first guy I try cut I need to buy from someone that knows what he's talking about as opposed to me buying off Kijiji. Thanks for the links!

Brent H

Ultra Member
I have 2 of them and they work fine. I am only using them as a three phase converter, don't really care about the speed adjust. I set my mill up at 50 hz as it runs true to the speed dial at that frequency and the lathe is at 57.8 Hz for the same reason. Both machines running fine so far without any issues from the VFD - Sucks they are half price and I don't need one - or maybe I do ........will know more after 7 tonight

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh my when I woke up this morning I had no immediate plans of a vfd. Now I have 2 on the way! One for the drill press and one for the mill. Good grief.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Can't say yet....sorta like saying - "only 3 minutes and our goalie has a shut out" ....bam...other team scores....stay tuned

Tom O

Ultra Member
I just bought one last night. :rolleyes: One day I’ll find a 3 phase breaker box and wire it to the phase perfect.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Give us a report on the quality and function etc. Are the instructions in English?
They are in Ch-Ch-Chinglish :p I’ll take a look at it in a few days the control card for the lathe is suppose to be here Tuesday so I don’t want to clutter up the bench.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well I now have two vfd to figure out. The instructions look better than what I was anticipating but with me any electrical information is already in a different language that I am not well versed in.
20210414_085603.jpg 20210414_085547.jpg 20210414_085527.jpg
I am now on the search for 1.5hp 1800 rpm 3 ph motors. @Tom Kitta is going to check out his inventory for me.

Lots of info on the interweb and this forum regarding vfd's but I haven't been able to wade through it all yet.

For my drill press conversion I am going to look towards @John Conroy excellent conversion of his same model as a guide. I thinking my milling machine will be similar but haven't yet figured out what/how I deal with the original on/off power switches.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I'd be happy to answer any questions that might pop up, one thing I would do differently is mount the vfd a couple of inches higher. My drill press is on wheels and gets moved around often so mounting the vfd high on the front is still the best option for me.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I likey will have some questions, thanks for the offer.
I think I will mount the vfds on the wall hopefully in a box of some sort. That means I will have the little control panel on the machines themselves. I have the extension cables ordered from Amazon.

Do you have a power switch between the source and the vfd? Is the little vfd button what actually powers the machine on and off?