• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

2.2 KW VFD, $70.39, Fullfilled by Amazon.ca

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
For that price I could power my 3-phase coolant pump for my surface grinder. Hmmmm...thinking...

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The HY ones have a bad rep but this one looks quite different.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Same one I have for my Mill and Lathe - you will see that my wife has answered some technical questions ::p

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh boy that is too cheap for me to resist. Its hard to imagine that it wouldn't be nothing but a piece of junk at that price but....
Now I have to find an equally cheap 3ph motor

Proxule

Ultra Member
I own 3 of these, Just fine. No vector on these guys. Perfect for simple motors - Dont expect any tq at low fq. Anything below 10-15 hz.
gluck

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I own 3 of these, Just fine. No vector on these guys. Perfect for simple motors - Dont expect any tq at low fq. Anything below 10-15 hz.
gluck
Forgive my ignorance...would the torque at low frequency be any different than a vfd that cost twice the money? (I now have to go look up vector to see if that is something I should care about))

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance...would the torque at low frequency be any different than a vfd that cost twice the money? (I now have to go look up vector to see if that is something I should care about))

Check this out.... https://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1062

The one I have is vector technology. With a 2 HP motor belted to 800 RPM at 60hz, I've been drilling 1/2" at 30 RPM no problem. Counter sinking at 10hz.

Last edited:

John Conroy

Premium Member
I bought the 1.5kw version of that same vfd for my drill press. So far it works fine but with no sensorless vector ability I set the minimum frequency to 30 and it has not disappointed me yet. I run the Teco vfd with sensorless vector on my lathe down to 10 HZ and still have lots of torque. Enough to break a 1/2" tap, don't ask how I know. I have a Hyanyang vfd with sensorless vector on my mill and it provides good torque down to 10 HZ as well.

Last edited:

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Thanks Craig for the heads up. Ordered one just a few minutes ago for a future mill.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Looks exactly the same as one I paid $152 for a month or so ago (Amazon).
It's up and running a 2 hp "inverter rated" 3ph motor - Its run about 4 hours so far - its "thrown a code" and quit on me 3 times now. It has re-started and worked fine after re-starting but I do have to wonder if it might not re-start again one of these times ?
Should say that I've run this one at 6 HZ (IIRC) for over an hour at a time with no problems, no heat in the motor. It was during the ramp up in RPM that it quit on me.
Maybe I should buy a spare ?
Yes, the prices have definitely come down, I paid ~$400 for a 1.5KW Hitachi about 4 years ago, mind you, that one has never "thrown a code".

John Conroy

Premium Member
One function of the cheap Vfd's that is sketchy is the ability to provide the current necessary for fast acceleration of heavy loads like big lathe chucks. Most of the cheap ones don't have the ability to have external braking resistors added to stop heavy loads quickly either. As long as you set your ramp up and ramp down times so the overcurrent protection function of the vfd does not become active you will likely not encounter error codes. The Teco on my lathe does not have provision for external braking resistors so I have to use relatively long accel and decel times so it doesn't set overcurrent error dtc's with my largest chuck. All the Vfd's I have seen have the ability to customize ramp up and down times.
I found out that the Huanyang on my mill has terminals to connect an external braking resistor but does not have any circuits connected to them even though there are instructions in the manual on where to connect one. Some of the cheap Vfd's manuals are generic and will suggest they have advanced features when they don't. I spent quite a bit of time coming to that conclusion with the Huanyang.

Proxule

Ultra Member
sensor-less vector requires you to program the vfd with specs of the motor and then run a static or dynamic test.
When that is done, the vfd is more in tune with the motor and able to provide full or nearly full tq at lower hz.
I am summarizing here but that is the gist.

WIth a PWM mode vfd the low hq makes the motor jump/ cog and is transmitted through the belts and guarding shaking the machine. With the vector mode its smooth and plenty of power.

I can elaborate if need be.
gluck

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks exactly the same as one I paid $152 for a month or so ago (Amazon).
It's up and running a 2 hp "inverter rated" 3ph motor - Its run about 4 hours so far - its "thrown a code" and quit on me 3 times now. It has re-started and worked fine after re-starting but I do have to wonder if it might not re-start again one of these times ?
Should say that I've run this one at 6 HZ (IIRC) for over an hour at a time with no problems, no heat in the motor. It was during the ramp up in RPM that it quit on me.
Maybe I should buy a spare ?
Yes, the prices have definitely come down, I paid ~$400 for a 1.5KW Hitachi about 4 years ago, mind you, that one has never "thrown a code".
Yes there are still some on Amazon that appear identical to this one but at at various prices. I've been waiting for a $150 one to come on sale but with this one at $70 I am willing to try and see.