• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

10-11 inch lathes -- Precision Matthews, Modern Tool

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
No, the shipping quote is USD $389 for trucking plus $79 lift gate service. I would probably go with the lift gate since it isn't that much. The killer is the 1.265 exchange rate right now.
I was looking at the price of the lathe on the web site and the price they quoted shipped. Agree on the exchange, I was looking at a Glacern vice but by the time it ended up in my hands it was going to be pretty much double the US price.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Darren , yes I have seen that vid. Very ingenious. Never underestimate the power of a crazy hobbyist LOL. I like that principle more than the tool retractor type.
Side note, my friend completed the Clough42 ELS (Electronic Lead Screw) & that thing is awesome. Whatever thread you can think of, imperial, metric, watchmaker... it can do with push of a program button.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Darren , yes I have seen that vid. Very ingenious. Never underestimate the power of a crazy hobbyist LOL. I like that principle more than the tool retractor type.
Side note, my friend completed the Clough42 ELS (Electronic Lead Screw) & that thing is awesome. Whatever thread you can think of, imperial, metric, watchmaker... it can do with push of a program button.
Thats on my Bucket list too, but i'm arguing with myself about it. I like the rocketronics 2 axis ELS as it can turn tapers and spheres too. Its almost full CNC though.

I hadn’t realized until looking at the manual but the PM1030 has a keyed leadscrew/worm gear arrangement so that powerfeed operation doesn’t wear the threads. Not sure how smooth it is to engage/disengage though.

Same as my recently acquired 9" Utilathe - and I didnt realize this was the case until i diassembled the apron and quick change gear box for cleaning and inspection. Gave me some good insight into how it all works internally.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I stumbled across this thread on another forum. Shows the Precision Matthews warehouse. Thought it was interesting.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I often wonder how good a Grizzly South Bend really is given the price.

And as far as speeds to, get a 3phase and VFD or change to a Bergerda AC Servo to get full range speeds with torque. I have a simple AC 3 Phase and 1HP VFD on my South Bend Heavy 10L. No real complaints.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re the Grizzly 10K US dollars plus shipping & other fees is a lot of money for a 10x30 lathe even if it does have VFD-d power. The rest of it looks like a basic offshore lathe.
I know prices have probably changed since a couple years ago but Modern was selling their C0636A 14x40 for $7500 CDN equipped as shown, delivered to your (Calgary)door.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-03-22 7.29.46 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-03-22 7.29.46 PM.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 10
  • SNAG-2022-03-22 7.35.40 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-03-22 7.35.40 PM.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 10

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Totally agree. I don't think I'd buy one of the ones from Grizzly even if they are closer to Vancouver Island.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was told that the South Bend company was purchased by Grizzly and production was moved from the USA to the orient. Not sure if that is true.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I was told that the South Bend company was purchased by Grizzly and production was moved from the USA to the orient. Not sure if that is true.
Yes. That's what was reported on the SB group. But they don't look anything like the original Heavy 10's for example. Apparently the ways are better. But I'm not sure what makes them worth $7K US more. I guess one could ask Grizzly why to buy the 10x30 gear head over some other far east lathe.