• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Yipeee... Got my second Covid shot today......

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
This is an interesting saying. I believe this refers to cannon balls. They used to be stored on a stand where they could be stacked for access during battle. The stand was called a brass monkey. It had to be fairly sturdy to keep the balls in place in rough seas. The saying comes from the fact that extreme cold would contract the assembly enough to have the balls fall off.

Or so I've heard.

Yes @Susquatch it is not meant to be rude rather it refers to the safe holding of cannon balls beside their specific cannon on man-of-war vessels. Apparently the first monkeys were cast iron or steel, and due to the salty air iron cannon balls quickly rusted to said monkeys. Navies quickly switched to brass monkeys however in extreme cold cast iron cannon balls often froze to brass monkeys.

Hence the old saying 'cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey'.

I've read where life was rough way back when, where men were men, women were women and they knew the difference.

@Brent H, the old sea dog could probably embellish on this saying. Devil made me say that.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Plus 1 for @Susquatch - my real Christmas plan would be to sit around sucking the monkey all day until I was 3 sheets to the wind. Afterwards, just try and avoid the cat while keeping a good load of grog handy.

3 sheets to the wind, what do you do with a drunken sailor, put him in the long boat to sleep it off, way hey and up she rises! Oh shut up Dusty. LOL

historicalarms

Ultra Member
phone yesterday for booster app. Next Tuesday earliest avail. even in small town pharmacy. Thats ok with me, I didnt want any side effects over Xmas anyways....New Years always has side effects anyway so not a bother.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I'm glad so many of you had a good experience with your booster but mine was a bit different. I got the shot about 1:00 in the afternoon (13:00 Brent). At 1:30 the next morning, I woke up with the chills. Really intense chills--whole body shivering. I wasn't sure that I could walk across the room! My wife fetched socks, a warm shirt and gloves. Eventually I warmed up and got some sleep. The next day, I felt like 'the morning after the night before'. Moped around a lot that day and was back to normal the next day.

Come to think of it, I visited @Canadium the day I got the shot. Maybe I had a bad reaction to him! <just kidding!>

Despite the reaction, I'm glad to have the booster. The spread of omicron is insane and anything to avoid needing medical treatment in the near future is a good thing.

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Despite the reaction, I'm glad to have the booster. The spread of omicron is insane and anything to avoid needing medical treatment in the near future is a good thing.

Craig

You are absolutely right Craig. If it was me, I'd take the bad reaction any day VS the real deal. At my age, my wife wouldn't need to push me into the hole. The hospital would do it for her.

Can you imagine how a doctor would feel having to decide who lives and who dies? They might even be grateful if I were one of the choices. Big hairy ugly old man VS a charming beautiful lady. Yup, the Yeti would go extinct.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I'm glad so many of you had a good experience with your booster but mine was a bit different. I got the shot about 1:00 in the afternoon (13:00 Brent). At 1:30 the next morning, I woke up with the chills. Really intense chills--whole body shivering. I wasn't sure that I could walk across the room! My wife fetched socks, a warm shirt and gloves. Eventually I warmed up and got some sleep. The next day, I felt like 'the morning after the night before'. Moped around a lot that day and was back to normal the next day.

Come to think of it, I visited @Canadium the day I got the shot. Maybe I had a bad reaction to him! <just kidding!>

Craig

@trivn, hey Craig that's the worst reaction I've heard as it relates to Covid jabs. Hopefully all will be well for you as we spin ahead into 2022.

From where I sit and I'm no expert one can foresee an annual booster shot over the next couple of years as Covid variants rear up their ugly heads around this old globe.

So everyone please stay safe, don't take unnecessary chances, sleep with your family pet if you must. LOL

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Got mine this am and I already am experiencing achy'ness. I never do well with any cold or flu.
Well it's the next day and I'm happy to say symptoms haven't gotten any worse. Just sore arm. My wife says she's got some unusual but not extreme symptoms.

trlvn

Ultra Member
@ trivn, hey Craig that's the worst reaction I've heard as it relates to Covid jabs. Hopefully all will be well for you as we spin ahead into 2022.
Yeah, it took me by surprise. With the previous 2 shots, I only had mild symptoms (sore at the injection site, bit of fatigue).

BTW, I saw a very informative graphic the other day regarding rapid tests and symptoms:

FG2uYyYXIAAaJL5

I hadn't known that immunized people who are exposed to the virus show symptoms faster and that is really evidence that the immune system is kicking in to fight off the virus. Also that the different tests will show a positive result at different stages.

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
that's the worst reaction I've heard as it relates to Covid jabs
Mine wasn't quite so bad. aching joints and no energy, and my upper arm with the jab felt broken for about 12 hours. But in a little less than 24 hours, all was well.

I feel a lot better knowing I have more antibodies. It turns out Moderna seems 'better' (than what I say?) at resisting the Omicron variant, so extra win,.

Last edited:
Entire family has had their booster, Pfizer for all three shots. Since I grew up in the pharma industry and my wife worked in it for 20 years, our selection was either Moderna or Pfizer at the onset, later it progressed to Pfizer just based on potential side effects (wife is extremely reactive to medication in the worst way). Since Pfizer was the first, we'll stick with Pfizer. Our info indicates both provide extremely similar protection after booster shot.

Whole idea is to survive this blip with little or no personal harm, beyond that life goes on.