• Hi - We're having intermittent forum issues. Posts, alerts, and anything involving email like signing up or password changes are having problems but not for everyone or everywhere. Josh is working on it. No ETA right now. Thanks Josh - BTW this is a volunteer forum so SLA's are just best effort. EDIT -> I manually batch updated about 25 people stuck on the email notification. Try logging in now with your password. EDIT -> May 8/23. I updated another bunch of users stuck on email notifications. Try to login if you are stuck. If you really can't get in contact us on facebook or if you know a forum member get them to ask us.
  • [Ad-Free Experience]
    Register Today, Craft a Post, and Enjoy an No-Advertising Experience.
    Click Here to Register

Xyphota's bicycle related projects


Super User
Premium Member
So I've been on a bit of a hiatus with my own frame for the last few weeks, mostly because I promised I'd get my buddy a frame by the start of June like 10 months ago, and like everything in life, everything takes longer than planned so I paused my frame progress to build his. His frame is a pure fixed gear bike, no brake mounts or anything. He even only wanted water bottle bosses on the seat tube, nothing on the down tube. My bike still needs a few fixtures made to hold brake fixtures, so I felt comfortable getting my frame to a good spot before pausing and working on his.

The start of the build is basically identical up to where my frame is currently at. I did make one additional fixture to help ensure the rear dummy axle is perpendicular to the seat tube. This stays in place while tacking in the seatstays to the seattube, and brazing the dropouts.

After finishing the seat stays, those get brazed in, and then I spent probably 4-5 hours filing them down. I really enjoy the brazing process and I like the finished look so If I build more bikes I'd like to do more brazing, but the filing is pretty tedious. I think the next shop tool is a large air compressor than can feed a finger belt sander.

After the dropouts, the last step is to slot the top of the seat tube so that it can deform slightly to pinch the seatpost when tightening the seatpost clamp. As this last operation on the bike, this was a bit scary, I'm not going to lie lol.

Here is me just after finishing the slotting and doing a bit of final alignment at 1:00am lol. Off to the powdercoaters at 8am the next morning.


Super User
Premium Member
Chainstays were pre-bent and pre-tapered, but I did the dimpling for the tire and chainring clearance. I don’t have any good pictures at the moment, I’ll take one later if I remember lol.

The seatstays were pre-tapered, but I added a 2 degree bend in them.
Last edited: