• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Xyphota's bicycle related projects

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I made a handlebar! This style of bar is called a bullmoose bar, and is sort of neat because it is integrated into the stem. I missed pics of a couple steps. The bar material is 7/8" x 0.049" 4130 from McMaster-Carr. It ended up being cheaper to buy from mcmaster even with shipping then it was to buy from spruce aircraft.

First I bent the bar and then coped and welded on the truss bits, and then coped the ends simultaneously for the steerer tube end. I wasted several hours trying to cope both ends of these truss tubes and get a good fit up because I did not want to remove my vice and un-tram my mill lol. I should have just did this in the first place.
View attachment 38095

I prepared the binder clamp pieces on the lathe and brazed them to the steerer clamp portion, then slotted it so it could do it's pinching action. I mounted it to the end of my fork and then put the whole fork in my tube clamp setup, and then positioned that above a 1:1 scale drawing of the bar for fitup. I tacked it in place and then welded it together.
View attachment 38096

Its about 780mm wide right now. I think I'm going to ride it for a bit but I'll probably end up trimming it down to 740mm wide.
View attachment 38098
Nice bike!
(What make model of moto is that?)

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Nice bike!
(What make model of moto is that?)
Thanks!

The bike under the cover in the middle pic is my Dad’s Kawasaki 750 Triple that he bought when he was like 16 lol, and the bike in the last photo is some mid-2000’s bmw touring bike he and my Mom take out for single and multi day excursions.