• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

WOW, Speed of Machining

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was surfing Vintage Machinery website, Keith Rucker, and he has tons of machinery manuals. I looked at the American Pacemaker, which is supposed to be a top notch lathe. What astounded me more than anything else, was that in the last several pages of the manual, it gives examples of work that can be performed on the lathe, including specific procedures, speeds, feeds, and times. Have a look. On the Rotor Shaft, it state that it should take a net time of 31 minutes. Man, it would take me the whole day to do that!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-30 230144.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-30 230144.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 52

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Likewise, a whole day... EASY!
But I suppose that's the difference between seasoned and hobbyist ? !
You know, thinking about this, can any new machinists be able to produce this shaft this quickly, (with or without a DRO!!) Have we become so soft in our teaching discipline to only accept mediocrity. The cost of labour increasing, and the speed of production decreasing, we have to either farm out to 3rd world countries, where labour is cheap, or tool up to CNC's and robotics or 3D Printing. Is this sustainable in the long run?

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This lathe is a very rigid “production lathe” with some added features “normal lathes” don’t have. Notice on the bottom of the reference page: “setting diameter and length stop dogs: 12 min.” Most lathes do not have these features.

Once the machine is set-up, the part can be made in 31 min. Not before. Also, the stock comes pre-cut and with centers already in.

Yes, and some heavy cuts…

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On the Rotor Shaft, it state that it should take a net time of 31 minutes. Man, it would take me the whole day to do that!

I dunno.

On the time sheet, it says "chase threads" for 4 minutes each with 10 passes of 18tpi 11/16" length at 77 rpm. And no time to change bits or take measurements. At 10 passes in 4 minutes, that's a pass every 30 seconds. The lathe alone will take 11/16 x 18 = 12 revolutions to cut each pass. At 77 rpm, thats about 10 seconds just for cutting with no lead-in or waiting for the thread dial or disengaging the half nut, or cranking out the tool, or backing off for another pass or taking any measurements.

I do most of my threading at 70 rpm. For most lathes 18tpi is an even number thread that can only be cut on two locations on the thread dial at opposite extremes (say marks 1 & 3 or 2 & 4). It takes up to 20 seconds to transition to one of those numbers which is an average of 10 seconds depending on how lucky you are. It's impossible to get 0 unless the lathe is stopped or you deliberately crank the carriage back to hit zero which means you have extra empty space to thread at the beginning of each pass.

In other words, in an ideal world, it takes 20 seconds to cut per pass. Leaving only 10 seconds to disengage, retract, rewind, take a measurement, dial in the next pass, and engage the half nut.

Is it possible? Ya, it's possible. So it survived the sniff test. But it requires robotic precision that only CNC can do. Mere mortal human beings can only dream of doing that.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You know what I'd love to see?....A tv series, "Canada's Best Machinist".

Machinists compete head to head to make a part in the quickest time, to spec, and rated on finish quality. Contestants use the same lathe, milling machine, surface grinder, or whatever. Same qualified measuring tools, same cutters. Can you imagine?! Blue chips flying, the sparks, the noise? :p

Last edited:

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I dunno.

On the time sheet, it says "chase threads" for 4 minutes each with 10 passes of 18tpi 11/16" length at 77 rpm. And no time to change bits or take measurements. At 10 passes in 4 minutes, that's a pass every 30 seconds. The lathe alone will take 11/16 x 18 = 12 revolutions to cut each pass. At 77 rpm, thats about 10 seconds just for cutting with no lead-in or waiting for the thread dial or disengaging the half nut, or cranking out the tool, or backing off for another pass or taking any measurements.

I do most of my threading at 70 rpm. For most lathes 18tpi is an even number thread that can only be cut on two locations on the thread dial at opposite extremes (say marks 1 & 3 or 2 & 4). It takes up to 20 seconds to transition to one of those numbers which is an average of 10 seconds depending on how lucky you are. It's impossible to get 0 unless the lathe is stopped or you deliberately crank the carriage back to hit zero which means you have extra empty space to thread at the beginning of each pass.

In other words, in an ideal world, it takes 20 seconds to cut per pass. Leaving only 10 seconds to disengage, retract, rewind, take a measurement, dial in the next pass, and engage the half nut.

Is it possible? Ya, it's possible. So it survived the sniff test. But it requires robotic precision that only CNC can do. Mere mortal human beings can only dream of doing that.
I leave it engaged and reverse. Don't have to worry about dial... (one time only)... Other than that, they do not count human factor...

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On my lathe, even numbered threads are cut on any line one the dial.

Attachments

• 20230501_121039.jpg
    20230501_121039.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 4

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
You know what I'd love to see?....A tv series, "Canada's Best Machinist".

Machinists compete head to head to make a part in the quickest time, to spec, and rated on finish quality. Contests use the same lathe, milling machine, surface grinder, or whatever. Same qualified measuring tools, same cutters. Can you imagine?! Blue chips flying, the sparks, the noise? :p
dont say another word or someone will steal your idea.

this is a very doable show, with a market

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nearest thing I've seen to a show down was a 4-jaw dial-in showdown at the Bar-Z Ranch get together a few years back.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You know....back when I use to shoot pistol competitively, we use to have what was called Postal Matches. Instead of traveling all over Canada to compete in person, you would shoot the course at your gun club, and report the scores. Certain rules applied, and it was based on the honour system. We could do the same thing here.

A set of blue prints get sent to registrants, and you have 3 hours to produce the part. You time yourself, and add time or demerit points for every aspect not to spec. Divide the contestants into categories depending on their experience. Bonus points to guys with smaller machines, or no DRO's, or whatever. Everybody ante's up $10.00 or whatever, and proceeds get divided to top 2 or 3 per division.

End of the year, banquet and awards. How fun would that be?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Fixed this for folks like me...

A set of blue prints get sent to registrants, and you have 3 hours days to produce the part. You time yourself, and add time or demerit points for every aspect not to spec. Divide the contestants into categories depending on their experience. Bonus points to guys with smaller machines, or no DRO's, or whatever. Everybody ante's up $10.00 or whatever, and proceeds get divided to top 2 or 3 per division.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I leave it engaged and reverse. Don't have to worry about dial... (one time only)... Other than that, they do not count human factor...
If you leave it engaged and reverse, your 10 seconds are gone cuz you have to reverse at the same speed as forward.

If you crank backward, you can go faster.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On my lathe, even numbered threads are cut on any line one the dial.

Ya, I know that every lathe has different thread dial constraints. I only used mine as an example.

I was really only making the point that normal humans can't do what they claim.

It's marketing BS.

Fundamentally, I'm like you. That job would take me a day. Maybe two.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I dunno.

I think I will give this a test run, or at least just the thread, when I have an opportunity. I'm sure I can do it within the allotted time of 4 minutes. For the other segments, since I don't have multiple stops, I'll wait until I get the DRO.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think I will give this a test run, or at least just the thread, when I have an opportunity. I'm sure I can do it within the allotted time of 4 minutes. For the other segments, since I don't have multiple stops, I'll wait until I get the DRO.

If you can do that all in under 4 minutes, I'm, going to recommend a new class if membership - "THOSE WHO WALK ON WATER". Don't forget that setup and measurements must be included in the time.....

Your word that you did it will be all that I need to pursue the new membership category.