WOW, Speed of Machining

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Man, it would take me the whole day to do that!

That is fast! In grade 9 it took a YEAR to make a tack hammer :D

I think Robin has got it, all positions are set and the 31 one minutes is about 99% chip making. Kind of like a football game, a 60 minute game takes 3.5 hours but has only 10 minutes of actual play :)

Many times I've been in the shop for 3+hours and probably only got ten minutes of work done

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think Robin has got it, all positions are set and the 31 one minutes is about 99% chip making. Kind of like a football game, a 60 minute game takes 3.5 hours but has only 10 minutes of actual play :)

The problem is that they list a separate time allocation for setup. So that means their time is all-in not just cutting time. I can buy the cutting time. I can't buy all-in. Now mind you, that is looking at it through my eyes which are quite anal about such things - (although my eyes are blue not brown). So ya, we need a "walks on water" membership category. And ya, we could do a "walks on water" competition.

Screenshot_20230503_102202_Chrome.jpg

Intial setup is round stock cut to 11/16 length x 1.968 OD.

Change Gears can be set in advance and so can threading tool since this time is included elsewhere in the promotional brochure.

Participants must use a stop watch of some kind, and final thread must be a Class 2B fit measured before stopping the clock.

For arbitrary consistency, the threading operation must begin with tool 1/4" right of the face and 1/8 inch retracted from the bar with no zero set yet for contact at face or bar OD. Lathe must running at lowest rpm, and half nut disengaged.

Threading operation does not include a test cut for thread pitch. This can be done in advance. However, contact with the bar cannot be zeroed or measured. This is to reflect the need for a tool change at this stage of machining.

Elapsed Time must include:
- all measurements,
- cutting a 1/8 thread relief
- cutting threads in 10 passes
- no roughing cuts allowed
- final nose chamfer to thread root
- final thread fit confirmation
As Class 2B

Am I missing anything?

I'll not participate in order to ensure transparency and objectivity. (And to avoid personal embarrassment.)

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The problem is that they list a separate time allocation for setup. So that means their time is all-in not just cutting time. I can buy the cutting time. I can't buy all-in. Now mind you, that is looking at it through my eyes which are quite anal about such things - (although my eyes are blue not brown). So ya, we need a "walks on water" membership category. And ya, we could do a "walks on water" competition.

View attachment 34144

Change Gears can be set in advance and so can threading tool since this time is included elsewhere in the promotional brochure.

Participants must use a stop watch of some kind, and final thread must be a Class 2B fit measured before stopping the clock.

For arbitrary consistency, the threading operation must begin with tool 1/4" right of the face and 1/8 inch retracted from the bar with no zero set yet for contact at face or bar OD. Lathe must running at lowest rpm, and half nut disengaged.

Threading operation does not include a test cut for thread pitch. This can be done in advance. However, contact with the bar cannot be zeroed or measured. This is to reflect the need for a tool change at this stage of machining.

Elapsed Time must include:
- all measurements,
- cutting a 1/8 thread relief
- cutting threads in 10 passes
- no roughing cuts allowed
- final nose chamfer to thread root
- final thread fit confirmation
As Class 2B

Am I missing anything?

I'll not participate in order to ensure transparency and objectivity. (And to avoid personal embarrassment.)
They have a time for cutting the relief cut, "face and form neck at 1.969" shoulder." So the test piece should have that already. I also think that a turning tool should be on the QCTP before the stop watch starts. And the spindle speed should not be higher than the given 77rpm.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Maybe we should try it at this Saturday’s meet-ups?

So, am I understanding this correctly: we are just trying to duplicate the threads in the first op in 4.0 min and ten passes?

Note: the material is 1045 steel; that stuff machines quite well.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member

So, am I understanding this correctly: we are just trying to duplicate the threads in the first op in 4.0 min and ten passes?

Yes, just the threads, as a test. But the final exam will be the whole thing!!

((To be able to do the whole part in the alloted time, if you don't have multiple cross stops, you'll need a DRO, (and that'd be slower than hard stops)).

I'm actually pretty pumped about this endeavor!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They have a time for cutting the relief cut, "face and form neck at 1.969" shoulder." So the test piece should have that already. I also think that a turning tool should be on the QCTP before the stop watch starts. And the spindle speed should not be higher than the given 77rpm.

The face and form neck is at 1.969 not 1.968. There is a separate face at 1.969. But arguably not at 1.968. So I would argue that it is not included. But if I accept your suggestion that a turning tool be mounted before starting the clock, l'll agree to a 10 second allowance to cut and face the relief.

I further agree with your contension that only lathes with a 77 rpm or lower limit be allowed. And while I am considering alterations to the rules, I believe that VFD Controls for speed should be allowed, but not ELS. This is after all about lathe skills, not automation.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I think this would be an awesome idea. I agree that 1045 steel is ok, but I'd go a step further and suggest that aluminium or brass are ok too. At 77 rpm or lower and a mandatory minimum of 10 passes, I really don't think the material matters much.

I'll also relax the thread fit test within the allotted time. Any machinist confident enough to say with certainty that they hit the mark doesn't need to test the fit. However..... in that event, it must be done afterward and the entire test is disqualified if the class is missed. Those who do the fit within the timed test are allowed to stay in the running for the top 3 scores. A miss is a miss is a miss and you are out.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

Is everyone bringing their own lathes :p

can you thread any way you wish?

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Susquatch your killer insticts are showing!! This is a fun competition. I say, yes, thread any way you want except with a die.

It cant be a do or die, or everyone might die!! So we need to have demerit times added for mistakes.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does it implicitly say in that american pacemaker manual that you can't reverse thread?

Of course not. But we have to have rules or @thestelster will stack the deck in his favour and its already stacked badly his way cuz he has been doing precision threads ever since he started walking.....

I'm not competing.

But anyone who wants to take over setting the rules is welcome to do so as long as they don't participate in the competition. I'm not taking on the job of trying to convince the other Admins that we need a "walks on water" membership category if the rules are too loose.

If you and @RobinHood want your own rules for your meet N greet, that's fine too. My rules are intended for "walks on water" membership status. Therefore it's totally ok if nobody qualifies.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I gotta say that I think a threading competition would be a heck of a lot of fun at a meet N greet.

But I also think that the lathe owner should be allowed to stop any less than safe or damaging usage entirely at their own discretion.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

Rather difficult to hold onto :D assuming there can be some chucking stock, does there have to be the thread relief groove and can it be cut in advance?

We really need a toleranced drawing for this fierce competition! Perhaps even its own website lol.

Lathe must running at lowest rpm,

why? my lathes lowest speed is 17. Ugh. I'll be there all day. Let the user decide how fast they want to go into corners :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Rather difficult to hold onto :D assuming there can be some chucking stock, does there have to be the thread relief groove and can it be cut in advance?

I think you missed some of the thread discussion.

Of course there has to be a stub to hold onto! LOL! That's just meant to say you don't need to make the whole rotor shaft.

Why? my lathes lowest speed is 17. Ugh. I'll be there all day. Let the user decide how fast they want to go into corners :)

There you go bragging again! I wish my lathe would cut at 17rpm. Mine is 70. I believe the intent here is to prevent guys from cutting the thread at 500 rpm. So ya, 77 or slower. But you can cut at 17 if you want.......

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If its going to be a competition , we should size the thread to accept a hardware store nut. No sense threading something without being able to test it. Say 3/4" 10tpi by 4" long. Everyone can video it. Fastest time wins once the nut threads on.