WOW, Speed of Machining

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Yes, sorry, 18tpi, 2B tolerance.

But "Walking on Water" status, has to include multi-start metric threads (on an Imperial Leadscrew)!!
It also has to include the time to swap out the change gears (gearboxes are for the weak ;)) but then find out you need to order another change gear because the last time you used the one you need, you crashed the carriage and broke off some teeth, but then after ordering a new gear you remember you have a 3D printer which can make change gears for cheap, so you have to call in to MotionCanada and cancel your order and then you design your change gear and finally 3D print it but you mis-measured the bore and the gear is to loose on the shaft so you have to print it again and but then the teeth immediately shear off so you embarrassingly reorder your change gear and then when it finally shows up you realized you were looking at the wrong line on the threading chart and you had the change gear all along so you finally cut your threads.

How long does the American Pacemaker manual claim it takes to do all that? 38, maybe 39 minutes?

Last edited:

Bandit

Super User
Ah ha, I missed the between centers, still dam impressive. Read the down link, add to the other bits I found, still wow.
Oh well, I shell continue with my old steam Era based machine.
Onward or backward! Don't stop.
And when did those lathes come out? In the 40s?

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
shucks...the DSG has an imperial LS but lets you cut metric without change gears....and has a spindle device letting you do up to 8 starts threads.

I love my lathe <throbbing heart smilie>
Well, your DSG lathe definitely has "Walk on Water" status!!