Golem Pens
Michael
I should also try the tailstock offset method. That just requires new mandrels to enable turning between centers I think. And feels fiddly in a way that irks me.
Oh that's interesting. I may have to look into that. At least to try it out! Ah, I'll need MT2If I had to cut a lot of tapers I'd get one of these:
Taper Metal Turning Attachment in 3MT Shank for Off-setting Lathe's Tailstock : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific
Taper Metal Turning Attachment in 3MT Shank for Off-setting Lathe's Tailstock : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientifica.co
If the taper that you're cutting is generally the same as is the length of the material, you could offset your second tailstock for the correct taper and swap tailstocks as required. The parts will have to be turned between centers, but if you make a 60° center to clamp in the chuck and face it each time before use, you won't need to keep swapping the chuck out as well as the tailstock. Drive the lathe dogs off the chuck jaws.......Amazingly I have most of that list! Taper attachment would be so nice for cutting tapers under power
I need to service that tailstock still. But that is a perfect use for it!If the taper that you're cutting is generally the same as is the length of the material, you could offset your second tailstock for the correct taper and swap tailstocks as required. The parts will have to be turned between centers, but if you make a 60° center to clamp in the chuck and face it each time before use, you won't need to keep swapping the chuck out as well as the tailstock. Drive the lathe dogs off the chuck jaws.......
It keeps the cost down...... that one I would try and use as the main one once fixed up, as it is low use and hopefully matched to the headstock...I need to service that tailstock still. But that is a perfect use for it!
Exactly why I'm not enthused by it.Dialing in a tail stock to cut square takes a bit of fiddling, and I don’t want to do that every time.
That’s one advantage of the taper attachment. Same taper no matter the length between centers. Drawback: sometimes the taper attachment isn’t long enough and you have to do in multiple steps.Keep in mind the set over amount will change with the distance between centers.


Yep I've got the accusize one! Just need a center. And to figure out the other end.
