• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Alright I have some square-ish (most of it really is very far from square) stock I need to make round so it's probably time I pick up a 4 jaw. I'd rather not break the bank on this one, so I'm looking for recommendations for smaller 4 jaws for. 1-1/2 x 8 spindle.

Bonus points if it can use this style of jaw...

This does seem like one of the better/cheaper options, but shipping would hurt, and there's probably more I'm not finding! https://www.shars.com/6-4-jaw-independent-lathe-chuck-with-1-1-2-x-8-threaded-mounting-plate
 

Attachments

  • LL-6034_LRG.jpg
    LL-6034_LRG.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0
Yeesh, good luck. eBay is your friend.

Maybe post a WTB ad in the classifieds?

4 jaws are 100% necessary though, but finding one with the weird jaws seems a luck-heavy proposition.
 
The 6" is about double the cost. At some point I definitely would like a nicer one as well, but for now I'm thinking small and cheap will meet my immediate needs. Really just for rounding stock so I can flip it into the collet chuck.
 
Alright I have some square-ish (most of it really is very far from square) stock I need to make round so it's probably time I pick up a 4 jaw. I'd rather not break the bank on this one, so I'm looking for recommendations for smaller 4 jaws for. 1-1/2 x 8 spindle.

Bonus points if it can use this style of jaw...

This does seem like one of the better/cheaper options, but shipping would hurt, and there's probably more I'm not finding! https://www.shars.com/6-4-jaw-independent-lathe-chuck-with-1-1-2-x-8-threaded-mounting-plate

You cant use that kind of jaw, but there are almost free alternatives. I don't know how big your stock is, but you can use a prescription bottle as a mold to pour epoxy around your non round stock. Wipe the bottle with shoe wax to act as a release agent, pour in the epoxy, let it harden, then remove the bottle. Chuck the epoxy and bar in your 3 jaw. And cut it to size. I recommend using a saw or a grinder to get it fairly round to begin with. Otherwise the hammering of the interrupted cut will overly tighten your chuck into the spindle.

Another faster approach is to make shims to center it.

Still faster yet is to take a grinder to the base of the square stock till its round enough to fit your 3 jaw.

In fact, sometimes you can just put the square stock in the 3 jaw.

Once you get the exposed end turned round, flip it and turn the base too.
 
I would give some of Sus's idea a try. Very low cost and effective. If you buy a less than ideal chuck you'll end up getting a "proper " one later anyway and the make do will haunt you till the end of time.
Also if you have a couple of centers and a drive dog you could do it between centers.
 
Back
Top