Well baitmster you say a lathe is not fully tooled without a 4jaw. I say is a lathe ever fully tooled.
Haha fair enough.
The closer you get to fully tooled the further away you realize you are…..
There is a point though where a lathe is tooled enough where if you were purchasing it you would consider it generally fully tooled…..
I guess fully tooled to a point.
I would consider, if purchasing:
- 3j
- 4j independent
- collet chuck w/ common assorted collets
- face plate and dogs
- all necessary change gears for metric/imperial and feeds
- steady rest and follow rest
- dead, live, and headstock centers
- quality drill chuck for tail stock
- taper attachment if it has the capability
- quick change tool post and a good number of holders
- carbide holders to suit, an assortment. (You may not have everything you want, but an assortment is good enough to get you started)
- hss holders and blanks, parting blade holder.
- solid lathe stand that allows alignment/levelling.
Fully tooled.
Everything else I would consider to be “extra” or specialty, or to do with metrology and not something to do with the lathe.
There’s always another gizmo or gadget to add though I agree.