• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Once you know that it's going to do everything you need and want, then spend the time to make it pretty..... how many times I have polished something up, only to find out it's a turd... 🙄
 
My family is known for our wallpaper and paint store back east, its part of who I am. . . .

My restoration project has me all jumping to get it all perfect before the rebuild but I know that it will all be disassembled again to do some tweaks and tune some fits more than likely enough. . . hell my little lathe brand new has had more work done on it than time making other things at this juncture, but I do love to tinker and get that extra 5% wherever possible.

I really hope by weeks end the mill will be ready for a quick test run and calibration check, then the paint and change gear stuff can follow!
 
But the coastal salt air!

Believe it or not, that salty air isn't as bad as the humidity, high temperatures and road salt here. I had a corrosion lab back in my industry days. Although coastal areas of BC, and the Maritimes were bad due to airborne sea salt. High temperature and high humidity made south west Ontario the worst of the worst. We tend to forget that corrosion is always proportional to temperature. That's why I tell folks to keep the car outside instead of in the garage where tools belong. High temperature and humidity along with a smidgeon of salt combine to create the worst corrosion extremes.

I'm not sayin things are not bad on the coast, just that it actually can always be worse!
 
Believe it or not, that salty air isn't as bad as the humidity, high temperatures and road salt here. I had a corrosion lab back in my industry days. Although coastal areas of BC, and the Maritimes were bad due to airborne sea salt. High temperature and high humidity made south west Ontario the worst of the worst. We tend to forget that corrosion is always proportional to temperature. That's why I tell folks to keep the car outside instead of in the garage where tools belong. High temperature and humidity along with a smidgeon of salt combine to create the worst corrosion extremes.

I'm not sayin things are not bad on the coast, just that it actually can always be worse!
That is very interesting, thank you!
 
I missed a lot but good on you golem, the new parts will certainly make your life better.

I’m in the same situation as you, with a family, and not a lot of time.

I wanted a lathe that I could use, and learn to use, without always having to come up with workarounds for it. No regrets.

I think you will be happy.
 
Back
Top