• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

I have an axa dial indicator holder printed outside if you'd like it I can throw it in the mail.

I also have a 3d printed v way mounted indicator holder for a SB if you'd like that as well.

Neither of them do me any good anymore so PM me your address if you want them for free.

I alsooo have a fresh copy of SB how to run a lathe, with all the original documentation / receipt / hand written letter from SB all vaccum sealed for my old 1936ish model C. If you want that I can send it as well. It's probably pretty periodish correct for your lathe.
 

Attachments

  • 20251212_144037.jpg
    20251212_144037.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20251212_144428.jpg
    20251212_144428.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I have an axa dial indicator holder printed outside if you'd like it I can throw it in the mail.

I also have a 3d printed v way mounted indicator holder for a SB if you'd like that as well.

Neither of them do me any good anymore so PM me your address if you want them for free.

I alsooo have a fresh copy of SB how to run a lathe, with all the original documentation / receipt / hand written letter from SB all vaccum sealed for my old 1936ish model C. If you want that I can send it as well. It's probably pretty periodish correct for your lathe.
If you don't have a use for them I'll take them off your hands! Will shoot you a message.
 
It is a great idea. You need one like that too.

It can't do the same things as the noga I mentioned above but it's a terrific way to go if all you need is 90 degrees runout measurements. It won't do spindle tapers or top measurements.

You really need both.

And we haven't yet mentioned the need for a Dial Test Indicator too.
I was starting to put a little shopping list together, I'll run it by the hivemind when i have it 😉
 
We have base 10 at home!

Have you ever heard my pitch for Base 8 as a FFFAAARRR superior numbering system? If only we omitted our thumbs when we invented decimal, our numbering system might be Octal! Just imagine how much easier math would be! Imagine how much better we could all understand computers! Ya, humanity F'd up when we included our thumbs.
 
I think he means 25.4-50.8-76.2 blocks.

Too funny! But also a Great Point! I've never seen the metric equivalent of 1 2 3 blocks. What would they be? 1x2x3 meters? Damn big blocks! 1 2 3 cm blocks? Damn small blocks!
 
I'd personally go cheap on 1-2-3 blocks.
Too funny! But also a Great Point! I've never seen the metric equivalent of 1 2 3 blocks. What would they be? 1x2x3 meters? Damn big blocks! 1 2 3 cm blocks? Damn small blocks!
they are usually 25-50-75mm - so you can regrind an out of tolerance 1-2-3 into a 25-50-75 if so inclined.
 
just buy one micrometer then, only a little more $ than both and can have switch between units on the fly.
https://www.amazon.ca/Mitutoyo-293-340-30-Micrometer-Resolution-Specifications/dp/B00MBHXWGY/
I bought this as a treat to myself. Not regretting it. I did regret the cheap one I bought initially.
Yeah I was wondering how well regarded or not digital ones are!

Oh, missed the NOGA on my list https://www.amazon.ca/NOGA-Dial-Gage-Holder-Magnetic/dp/B002K07CTK/
 
Back
Top