• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Working on my South Bend 9C

Hmm how hard is running new power cables, these are pretty gnarly.

Also any advice on removing these reversing twin gears? The manual says to remove them but they're not budging so far.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251127_182035434.jpg
    PXL_20251127_182035434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20251127_182030455.jpg
    PXL_20251127_182030455.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
How gnarly are they? Is the inner insulation comprised? Or just not pretty to look at?
If the latter, pick up some split wiring loom while picking up the new belt and make it pretty again....
 
How gnarly are they? Is the inner insulation comprised? Or just not pretty to look at?
If the latter, pick up some split wiring loom while picking up the new belt and make it pretty again....
I THINK just not pretty. All the fittings are loose and the plug needs swapping though. I've only done very basic home wiring.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20251127_204316462.jpg
    PXL_20251127_204316462.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20251127_204328275.jpg
    PXL_20251127_204328275.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Making progress!

Sorted out (disassembled, scrubbed, oiled/felted) the major gear train.

Ditto for the tailstock (which is unfortunately not as smooth as I was hoping).

Started in on the carriage and got the apron mostly disassembled (and cursing tapered pins.

Hopefully I can get through most of the carriage disassembly today at least. Unfortunately my plan to use a grease gun with way oil for the zerk fittings turned into a gigantic mess, oops.
 
I wish I was that productive! I was optimistic about finishing tomorrow but I suspect I'll only get through headstock disassembly and hopefully drive assembly preparation.

Apron is sorted, so first task tomorrow will be the saddle.
 
I wish I was that productive! I was optimistic about finishing tomorrow but I suspect I'll only get through headstock disassembly and hopefully drive assembly preparation.

Apron is sorted, so first task tomorrow will be the saddle.
@DavidR8 , you wanna give the young feller a little pep talk?.........
Michael, David's an old retired guy, you aren't going to let him out pace you now are you? Come on, do your generation proud. 🙄 😛 😀😉
 
Making progress!

Sorted out (disassembled, scrubbed, oiled/felted) the major gear train.

Ditto for the tailstock (which is unfortunately not as smooth as I was hoping).

Started in on the carriage and got the apron mostly disassembled (and cursing tapered pins.

Hopefully I can get through most of the carriage disassembly today at least. Unfortunately my plan to use a grease gun with way oil for the zerk fittings turned into a gigantic mess, oops.
Hi Michael,

I bet someone used grease in them !
Unscrew the nipple and poke the grease out then give them a good clean. Oil should flow easily through them. Check the hole underneath as well, you might find that the hole is blocked all the way through.
 
Back
Top