Okay let's start at the start (well, not where I started, but at the core).
Longitudinal spindle play is ~.001" which is to spec, so no issues here. Ajusted with the spindle take up nut (I added the thrust bearing mod). This is with the headstock bolts loose (more on that later). No photo.
Lateral spindle play using the SB method (ish - I can't mount an indicator at the top of the spindle, so I checked laterally). ~.002" in one direction and ~.004" in the other, which is out of spec (.001-.002 I believe is the target). This is with the headstock bolts barely snugged up, since under any appreciable tension the spindle binds. This is a problem, and I almost wonder if additional shims are needed instead of fewer.
View attachment 75850
View attachment 75851
Spindle runout. The outer surface isn't smooth so I don't trust it. The interior is rough and ridged, so I suspect it has been bored out in the past... I'm not sure how to get an accurate read on spindle run out based on this.
Outer spindle runout video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XUkBxJyfb2j1vmGg9
View attachment 75852
So at this time, I'm not even looking at my collet chuck situation, since enough seems off at the headstock/spindle.
Thoughts on this?
It SEEMS I should try and take up spindle play, but tightening that down binds the spindle before adjusting play.
I can of course disassemble the spindle assembly again for a closer look...