• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Woo hoo! It's a cold snap!

That run was 4-5 years ago, I was heading from Edmonton to Chilliwack, then points further south in the USA. I wanted to see Hells Gate and one road is as good as the next

Probably faster to go down to Cowtown then head west? If time was a concern, that run I had all the time in the world. I’d love to get another BC run (in the summer) and spend a week out there

View attachment 31348
The west coast is pretty cool, for us easterners :D
I think at some point it's the patriotic thing to do, driving to the other side to see how the other half lives. ;)
I'm almost embarrassed to say that Cowtown is as far east as I have been, I am hoping to change that sooner than later. An old planer with about a 6 foot bed might be enough to draw me out of my den a little bit sooner. :p
20201114_101456.jpg
When this is the view from the front yard it's hard to want to leave. Everything is on the other side, I get tired just thinking about the climb......:rolleyes:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I think at some point it's the patriotic thing to do, driving to the other side to see how the other half lives. ;)
I'm almost embarrassed to say that Cowtown is as far east as I have been, I am hoping to change that sooner than later. An old planer with about a 6 foot bed might be enough to draw me out of my den a little bit sooner. :p
View attachment 31349
When this is the view from the front yard it's hard to want to leave. Everything is on the other side, I get tired just thinking about the climb......:rolleyes:
No politics

I’ve been as far west as Vancouver/Whistler and as far east as PEI and Newfoundland, made it up to Labrador one run too

I agree, I don’t think western folk understand eastern folk, I don’t think east coast understand west coast

Nobody understands central folk

I’ve met a lot of great people along my journey, I will stand up and say Alberta folk have been the most welcoming, with the east coast a decent second

I was warned, by a coworker who was a BC ski hill worker, that I would love the west and never want to go home. I can’t say she was wrong

No politics

I’ve been as far west as Vancouver/Whistler and as far east as PEI and Newfoundland, made it up to Labrador one run too

I agree, I don’t think western folk understand eastern folk, I don’t think east coast understand west coast

Nobody understands central folk

I’ve met a lot of great people along my journey, I will stand up and say Alberta folk have been the most welcoming, with the east coast a decent second

I was warned, by a coworker who was a BC ski hill worker, that I would love the west and never want to go home. I can’t say she was wrong
No politics intended, just a boy that was born into the best place on earth and I still find it kinda humbling to be so lucky.
......... Also trying to acknowledge that I need to get out of the house more. Unfortunately my tinfoil hat doesn't offer me much protection once I get away from the lead lined walls of the house......:oops::rolleyes:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I can chuckle about it today, bbbut yyyyessssttttteeerrrddaaaayyy I wwwas a lllitttllle ppisssedd with the chchchatter. o_O
I think I may have struck a deal on a truck while I was dumpster diving, an International too, so I will have all the rubber steel I can handle for a while...... I only want the rear differential out of it and maybe some frame sections for a press build. I'm going to have to start working out a little bit in preparation, 'cause once it hits the yard, the little missus is going to go off the deep end and I won't have much time to strip it and then load it out for scrap before she does the same with me.... Lol
I really shouldn't be too hard on the International's as I don't think any truck would stand up to the abuse we put them through in our "standard operations". In volume, they push more cubic meters of snow, but in mass, I think they likely clear more rocks off the roads than anything else. And they get hit by a lot of rock falling off the banks as well, we all have a story or two to tell....View attachment 31318
We have a lot of roads like this in our area, beautiful country, but you don't want to be daydreaming as you drive along.....
I want to be on that road.

I want to be on that road.
That is the Highline rd that runs between Seton Portage and D'Arcy. If you can believe it, when we had that huge rain event that devastated our highways, Google maps sent everybody to this road, not many made it that far. It was terrible chaos, almost like standing at the bottom of a buffalo jump. :eek:
But, yes, a beautiful drive on a summer day. That is Anderson lake that you follow. It and Seton lake were once one before a massive slide cut them in two at the present townsite of Seton Portage, which has a Hydro generation station and the water is tunnelled through mission mountain from carpenter reservoir. It's an interesting piece of the world around here...

Downwindtracker2

In a province where driving into space is almost normal on the backroads, that drive over the mountain from Carpenter lake to the power station is a bit exhilarating.

In 2017 we drove across Canada. I found the Maritimers to be the friendliest. But then we have BC plates. Alberta B.C. thing. Saskabush was great,too. Again B.C. plates. We came back through the States, just across the border in Maine, a considerable difference. We had to get back to Alberta for wedding. In 2019 we drove up to "Tuk" on the Arctic Ocean.

Downwindtracker2

I have inlaws across the Rockies, they are great generous people.. But in campgrounds, I think the B.C. plates might be a negative. Not unfriendly , just not the greetings I got in Nova Scotia, PEI and Newfoundland.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
It’s snowing again in Vancouver. Did we shoot down another Chinese weather balloon?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Getting more ice here. Power is out too. Pretty sure they got 2 more balloons.

20230227_170046.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Not that cold here but a bunch of wet snow. Small car left highway just south of here and took out 3 phase power pole so house has been dark since 1AM.
BC Hydro estimates at least 2 more hours.
So I disconnected furnace from breaker panel. Wired up power cord.
Ran extension to 1kW inverter sitting on really large 24V Lithium bank and now house is warming up. Nice to have natural gas.
Furnace at full fan speed draws 7.9A AC.
Motor startup sees inverter pulling 35A DC at 28V so that matches drops down to 24A after motor up to full speed.

Really should wire in a transfer switch to a few critical circuits. Just doesn't happen that often.

I got up and after a few cups of coffee looked out the window, counted about a dozen snow flakes over 30 secs or so and declared it a snow day...... Just trying to make the bits and bobs that I have laying around work themselves into a drive for the little shaper. Pulleys have the wrong bores, bearings aren't the same size etc........ All the while, reflecting back on when my second cousin twice removed, Rube Goldberg used to apprentice under me....:rolleyes:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
No internet other than my phone since I've not yet run an extension cord to that part of the house.
Need to decide what to do next. Maybe shovel snow.:rolleyes:
How is it charged? Wind? Solar? Or just from mains power when available?
It's from a work project. The original test set from about 6 years ago. Wires to inverters are too thin. Should add 3rd inverter. Should wire it into an automatic transfer switch for furnace, fridge, freezer and a lighting circuit.
Total of 3kW AC isn't a lot for a house from the 60's now on 200A service.

Attachments

• 20230228_094335_resized.jpg
    20230228_094335_resized.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 7