• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Woo hoo! It's a cold snap!

Downwindtracker2

I live on the wet coast,now. The spelling is correct. But I lived for 10 years in northern BC. so I know something of cold, not the real cold, only the 40 below stuff. Locals amongst themselves complain at -35 .In the '80s I heard the line "It doesn't get cold anymore." One story from a buddy of mine , a son of a ribcage rancher, tells of chipping a hole in the ice and having the ice freeze faster than he could chip it one winter. Cattle eat less hay if they get water. From another I heard about that winter. At the end of September, it got 20 below (F) and kept getting colder.

Ditto. I can dress against the cold. I can't undress enough against the heat.
Two years ago when the town of Lytton burnt to the ground we had set a record of over 50 degrees celsius. I believe it was 52 in Lytton when the fire started, the town was basically gone within the hour. It's been almost two years since the fire and people are still waiting to get back on their land to start rebuilding. Now the insurance company's are threatening to close many claims because they had 2 years to rebuild...... Insanity at it's finest....:(

Last edited:
20230224_121448.jpg
I have a couple projects in mind, so a little bit of dumpster diving was in order... Those bent 3" round bars with the holes are the mounting posts for the belly plows on the local plow trucks. Bending those really wakes a driver up.....:p my thoughts on those are levelling feet...... Just a few side projects between here and there. :rolleyes:

View attachment 31229
I have a couple projects in mind, so a little bit of dumpster diving was in order... Those bent 3" round bars with the holes are the mounting posts for the belly plows on the local plow trucks. Bending those really wakes a driver up.....:p my thoughts on those are levelling feet...... Just a few side projects between here and there. :rolleyes:
....... Welp, I thought that black torque rod was going to make a great counter shaft for the drive on my little shaper, so to the bandsaw I went, singing to myself "she'll be shaping around the corner when she comes...." Off came the ends, center drilled and between centers it went, woo hoo....
Well...... Talk about a sticky, gooey, interspersed with hard chunks, piece of crap that was, carbide, hss, more hss, faster, slower, more feed, less feed, try stiffer lathe, no love, more chatter than a quilting bee at the old folks home..... Then I considered the source..... damn International's...... Anybody got a Kenworth parked out back? :rolleyes:
Part was bent just enough that it was undersized by the time it got straight anyway......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Well...... Talk about a sticky, gooey, interspersed with hard chunks, piece of crap that was, carbide, hss, more hss, faster, slower, more feed, less feed, try stiffer lathe, no love, more chatter than a quilting bee at the old folks home.....

That was funny! Especially the quilting bee!

Had a buddy drop by yesterday. I showed him my new Starrett Tap Handles. He looked at me like I was CRAZY! Other than the fact that I really am Crazy, I figured it would be a good test of my own decisions to let him tap a few holes. I chose 1/4-20 cuz I have lots of spare taps. He is a bricklayer and isn't exactly a gentle fellow.

He proudly tapped one hole with a KBC holder (not the worst of my handles) - only stopped a half dozen times to tighten it. Did a good job without a guide too. I was impressed. Then I handed him the Starrett to tap the other hole with. You could literally see the smile on his face growing as he cranked that handle.

I made a good decision. He understood it.

Want some "damn international" tap handles to make stuff with?

That was funny! Especially the quilting bee!

Had a buddy drop by yesterday. I showed him my new Starrett Tap Handles. He looked at me like I was CRAZY! Other than the fact that I really am Crazy, I figured it would be a good test of my own decisions to let him tap a few holes. I chose 1/4-20 cuz I have lots of spare taps. He is a bricklayer and isn't exactly a gentle fellow.

He proudly tapped one hole with a KBC holder (not the worst of my handles) - only stopped a half dozen times to tighten it. Did a good job without a guide too. I was impressed. Then I handed him the Starrett to tap the other hole with. You could literally see the smile on his face growing as he cranked that handle.

I made a good decision. He understood it.

Want some "damn international" tap handles to make stuff with?
I can chuckle about it today, bbbut yyyyessssttttteeerrrddaaaayyy I wwwas a lllitttllle ppisssedd with the chchchatter. o_O
I think I may have struck a deal on a truck while I was dumpster diving, an International too, so I will have all the rubber steel I can handle for a while...... I only want the rear differential out of it and maybe some frame sections for a press build. I'm going to have to start working out a little bit in preparation, 'cause once it hits the yard, the little missus is going to go off the deep end and I won't have much time to strip it and then load it out for scrap before she does the same with me.... Lol
I really shouldn't be too hard on the International's as I don't think any truck would stand up to the abuse we put them through in our "standard operations". In volume, they push more cubic meters of snow, but in mass, I think they likely clear more rocks off the roads than anything else. And they get hit by a lot of rock falling off the banks as well, we all have a story or two to tell.... 20211116_141836.jpg
We have a lot of roads like this in our area, beautiful country, but you don't want to be daydreaming as you drive along.....

View attachment 31324BC has some amazing scenery, but the roads are skinny in places. That was in your back yard @140mower over by Savona
About an hour and a half from my house.... If you get out this way again let me know... I'm usually down for a little roadtrip, and the little lady is always happy to see my taillights disappearing into the distance for a while. (I've been hanging around here long enough that I am sure most of you understand):eek::rolleyes:

Got a phone call this morning from a friend that I used to work for wanting to know if I had any counterbores he could borrow.
20230226_102016.jpg
Not too many guys daily driving a model t anymore... The writing was pretty faded, but I am pretty sure that it said "Assemled by @Susquatch " in the owners literature. Speaking of whom, I believe he has some warranty questions.....:rolleyes:
I'm also pretty sure that he is a member here and has a couple buddies here that could probably pull him out of a police lineup. Lol We'll have to try and flush him out, he's doing some pretty cool stuff....

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
You guys have some nice areas out West, We have taken the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff a few years back.
You don’t find hills that big anywhere East of Calgary.
Nice little ‘T’ as well.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
About an hour and a half from my house.... If you get out this way again let me know... I'm usually down for a little roadtrip, and the little lady is always happy to see my taillights disappearing into the distance for a while. (I've been hanging around here long enough that I am sure most of you understand):eek::rolleyes:
That run was 4-5 years ago, I was heading from Edmonton to Chilliwack, then points further south in the USA. I wanted to see Hells Gate and one road is as good as the next

Probably faster to go down to Cowtown then head west? If time was a concern, that run I had all the time in the world. I’d love to get another BC run (in the summer) and spend a week out there

90D7B740-62F6-46E7-A7AF-F2D2EBCDB907.jpeg
The west coast is pretty cool, for us easterners :D