• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Windows-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I have had 11 on on a PC I built a few weeks back, so far so good, no complaints yet

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I have had 11 on on a PC I built a few weeks back, so far so good, no complaints yet
What did you build?
I have to upgrade the shop pc. I built it in 2010 and it's starting to show its age.
Still running windows 7 on it and it won't take the upgrade to 11 with the existing motherboard.
Among other things I use it to run Cura for the 3d printer and only the 4.1 versions still run on anything older than windows10 and up.
I'd like to run Fusion on it as well.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No complaints with any that actually loaded (2 so far). Did have one laptop that started the installation and then aborted because it didn't meet the specs. I don't know why not cuz it met them before the attempt.

The main reason I wanted to upgrade is the improved hardware based security - reportedly 2x better at preventing malware.

But I also liked the improved screenshots including built in recordings and recording editing. I'd like to dump as much 3rd party software as possible.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I did a rayzen 5 5600x, aorus elite b550 mobo, 500gb m2 boot drive, 2tb platter storage drive, 32gb 3200mhz ram and a Radeon 6650xt

it boots into windows almost instantly, Cura and f360 are light years better

The only issues I have with the build have to do with the video card, I have driver issues, but after researching it a fair bit that seems to be accross the board with Radeon 6000 series cards on windows 10 and 11, so I would stay away from the Radeon 6000 series cards

i was comming from an i7 gaming laptop with gtx1050, 16gb ram, win 10 and a recently installed M2 boot drive for reference

total cost, case, power supply, monitor, win 11, basically everything but a keyboard and mouse was 1746$ w/GST in Alberta from mem express, I went with just about everything on sale, no extended warranty, and I built it so no build cost

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Running Win 11 on a Lenovo Ideapad Ryzen5, 8GB RAM works great.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Here's my problem. My WIN-7 system runs Office Pro 2010 which includes my email and Visio for flow charts. I still run MPLAB and also MPLABX for Microhip PIC products. RAD Studio for Delphi Pascal and C++ for windows.
Code Warrier for M9S12 which I still manufacture and is licensed to the machine (CPU+MB). Not sure if I can transfer it to a WIN-11 system. It's not really supported software and I suspect the processor will be end of life soon.
And so on.
I'm probably better to build a brand new system and then try and move the applications over. I still have a WIN-XP system that I keep in order to be able to work with some hardware.
I think I could probably get away with updating my 2 year old laptop but the user interface is so different.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
For example I just found this:

Will older versions of Office work on Windows 11?​

Microsoft announced that some versions of the Microsoft Office Suite will not be supported in Windows 11. These versions include any versions of the Office Suite released on or before 2013, for example, Office 2010 and Office 2007.

So an upgrade to WIN-11 is expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I run windows 11 on my desktop. I built my own computer too. I don't mind messing around to get things configured the way I want them. The biggest difference I noticed is splitting the screen into multiple windows is easier. Also you can add or remove displays while windows is running and it will remember where you put the different windows. That's a small improvement but I do like it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm running Win-10 so different situation. I'm not surprised they will force retirement of <2013 with Win-11. Sucks but predictable. Office 365 personal for 5 devices costs $79/year. I run it on the laptops & cant tell any difference from installed Home Office which I think runs $150 single seat (might be USD need to check). I have a friend with legacy XP ware, he is running low on garage sale parts. I think some apps he can simulate under some kind of OS shell but others don't work so great.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I am running a few. I have two 2014 machines that will not take the upgrade. One I use to bench trial software. The other is my main design computer. This second one would cost an arm and a leg to replace because it has 8 lanes for RAM and is maxed out almost. 192 GB ram and I am using a program that still forced it to scroll to the hard-drive. My file size on that scan is 175 GB divided into 190 MB packets... The next generation of machines that can accommodate more than 128 GB ram just came out two weeks ago. That processor is too expensive yet, and they don't even make the ram chips big enough to take advantage of it's capabilities. I think a couple year wait still on that...or if this machine dies. Here is the next generation of server CPU. It kicks AMD's !@#$%^ .. 56 cores (all E cores). This is so new it has no reviews and has not hit the market yet... I need to win a lottery !!!

I had to buy a standalone computer for the CNC mill and use a laptop both with Windows 11 for the shop machines. I see know major difference on the OS.. One inconvenience is cut and paste. You have to click more options to paste after cutting (two steps).. All office products that are subscribed work on Windows 11.

1677736044569.png

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My $7.95 per month:

Office 365 allows me to seamlessly access files across three different Macs, my work Windows 11 machine, and an old Dell Win 10 machine that runs various CAD and low-end CNC software for my engravers. Also syncs to my backup drives so for $8 a month I have off-site backup. Well worth it.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I am running a few. I have two 2014 machines that will not take the upgrade. One I use to bench trial software. The other is my main design computer. This second one would cost an arm and a leg to replace...

I had to buy a standalone computer for the CNC mill and use a laptop both with Windows 11 for the shop machines. I see know major difference on the OS.. One inconvenience is cut and paste. You have to click more options to paste after cutting (two steps).. All office products that are subscribed work on Windows 11.
Thanks for your reply. My main WIN-7 system is running an i7-2600K CPU@3.4GHz. This was bleeding edge at the time. I feel it's always worthwhile to buy the best and highest end since then it lasts longer. I guess I should be happy with 12 years.

I come from a time when we were so excited that finally we wouldn't need to replace vacuum tubes now that semiconductors could last forever. True the electrolytic capacitors degrade over time so power supplies and the caps on the motherboards tend to die. But even so, what I do with the WIN-10 laptop (replaced a WIN-7 laptop that was dying) isn't any different from what I do with the WIN-7 system.

Whether I use Protel 99SE for PC board design or Alitum the PC boards are still max 6 layers and don't really need 3D modeling although I have done that to fit into a box using Altium.

I have licenses for all sorts of smaller programs like ones that are either the master or slave emulator for MODBUS. Same with a number of the dongles for CAN bus. If I paid $800 for a dongle what if the driver doesn't work on WIN-11? What if the driver company isn't around anymore for something I use every month.

My WIN-10 laptop surprisingly runs my Office 2010. Likely, based on the previous posting won't run on WIN-11. Now $7.95 per month isn't much until there's also Netflix, Prime, Cell Phones, Land lines, Car insurance, House Insurance, Property taxes, Power, Natural Gas, Cable TV, network URL when all factored into a per month cost balloon something huge.

Change to non-subscription Office and it runs on one PC. I'm the only one running my various PCs but suddenly I have to pay for each PC as if I'm 2 or 3 people. My AlibreCAD runs on one PC because it dials home and checks to see if I'm running it on another PC. Don't care. Never run it on more than one at a time.

It's just that WIN-10, which was never going to be changed and just upgrade now has become WIN-11 and lots of software is being 'unsupported'.

gerritv

Gerrit
I run Win 11 on everything in the house except my CNC and tablets/phones.
For 3 of the machines that wouldn't take 11, I used this method:
They now run 11 as well.

I pay for Office365, including HST it is CA124 per year. 1TB for each of 6 users, full Office suite. I use Onedrive to sync my files to several machines, including my 3D printer and Pathpilot machine. Myself, wife and brother ue up 3 licenses, if I need more than my 1TB then I can crete new accounts.

That same YT channel might have ideas about running your other sw, much of this is likely due to 32bit apps being deprecated.

Gerrit

Aarknoid

I have a first generation I7 / xeon (1366) from 2010 running windows 11 nicely. You do have to change some registry entries to allow it as it doesn't have tpm2.0 or a video card that is on their approved list. But those with an older system and no special software / hardware, its is a doable thing.
Screenshot 2023-03-02 073959.png

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I have read that if you do the workaround to install Win 11 without TPM that you will no longer receive any updates. That may or may not be a problem for some.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for your reply. My main WIN-7 system is running an i7-2600K CPU@3.4GHz. This was bleeding edge at the time. I feel it's always worthwhile to buy the best and highest end since then it lasts longer. I guess I should be happy with 12 years.

You and I and a few others on here all started before there were PCs. We have been through custom hardware OS's of our own, to CPM, DOS, MSDos, windows, windows 3.1, windows 95, 98, XP, 7, 10, and now 11. That just picks a few noteable big changes. There is a hundred more in between.

Loss of backward software compatability is a fact of life. You have been through it before and you will get through it again a few more times before it doesn't matter anymore. It will be our grandkids problem then.

I have a few legacy computers too. Slowly but surely they die and force me to move on. I bitch like crazy, but moving on is inevitable. I used to fight it. Now I just bitch. Most important is to disconnect them from the internet. I use external drives to move data on old PCs but never Ethernet. Too much risk of malware getting onto my home network. Firewalls used to be all that was needed. Now it's all a liability. The best protection is to disconnect

Something to be said for the new stuff that will render a 3D airplane while also rendering Satelite imagery in real time. Or rotate a complex 3D CAD model as though you were holding it in your hands.

I went the subscription way with Office 365. I hated to give in, but it has its pluses. At least one of which is the multiple family users each with up to 6 PCs, Phones, Tablets and of course data portability.

It's not all bad John. No pain no gain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.