Windows-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Much of what allows virus installation into our PCs is because the software has changed to allow more and more marketing and sales stuff. There was a time where downloading a program to run on your PC to show information was considered just plain wrong. Now it's the norm.

Yes. I don't like that either.

I think something is broken in society at large. Advertizing has become ridiculous.

I remember when TV was full of ads. Then along came satellite promising no ads. Next thing you know, I'm paying for Satelite and also getting ads. WTF happened???

Google's whole business model is advertising!

Ya, I don't like it.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
This is the only fond memories I have with apple products, they shot themselves in the foot back then imo, the closed off hardware architecture and software requirements really screwed them

I went through school right through the mac/pc market share battles, it was a crap shoot, you got exposure to both systems, although Mac's were somewhat of a better machine, they really priced themselves out, by the time I was out of school the only Mac's were in the photography labs, and that more had to do with expensive Adobe photos shop licences and dongles than anything else

7342776-simcity-macintosh-comprehensive-map.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wonder what we should all express our views on next......

How about Bacon vs Nuts on salad......

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
buffalo chicken Cesar with bacon and croutons for me....a big mixing bowl worth...although by the time it gets loaded up with dressing im not sure how much of a "salad" it is

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
barley beef skillet, with side of potato pancakes, and apple pie for desert. Also no beans.

Own three Mac Minis, two iMacs, two Windows laptops, four Windows desktops, a Windows mobile touchscreen (ex-RCMP in-car computer), half a dozen Raspberry Pi boxes. Running everything from DOS to current Win11 and MacOS 13. All get powered up in the course of an average month, some on 24/7, some rarely. They are all just tools, some better for specific tasks than others, and not worth arguing about.

Example - 2012 Mac Mini and 19” monitor on the kitchen counter, good for looking up recipes and tracking family budget. Cost $50. If I spill something on it, I’ll go buy another one. Doesn’t take up much space, no fan noise, can’t run the current MacOS but who cares?

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
WTF happened???

Google's whole business model is advertising!

Ya, I don't like it.
It's called enshittification, and the word probably will get me banned, somewhere.
Cory Doctorow has a great essay describing how tech captures users, then businesses, then the market and its profits while making the initial goods less and less appealing. It's a solid thesis: https://pluralistic.net/2023/01/21/potemkin-ai/#hey-guys
(Edit - fixing autocorrect it's vs its)

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
It's called enshittification, and the word probably will get me banned, somewhere.
Cory Doctorow has a great essay describing how tech captures users, then businesses, then the market and its profits while making the initial goods less and less appealing. It's a solid thesis: https://pluralistic.net/2023/01/21/potemkin-ai/#hey-guys
(Edit - fixing autocorrect it's vs its)
OK. So not about WIN-11 but actually related. If you are into books like this you may find it interesting.

The idea about changing operating systems or user interfaces being done for ease of use or more efficiency is a fantasy and even if we don't realize we are buying it we are. It's hard not to.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
We don’t talk about politics, religion , and NOW we don’t talk about the relative merits of OPERATING SYSTEMS AND HARDWARE.
We’ve had complaints as the mods did some edits to keep it civil.

Or salads and nuts you smart asses. :; :)
And that’s the last word.

Status
Not open for further replies.