• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Which printer to buy advice needed

Tips/Techniques

Aarknoid

For my 3rd printer I was hoping to avoid the slow death of tinkering to make things work right and finally put the money down on a Bambu P1S. So far I've printerd at least 6 rolls of PLA with only a few print failures. All but one of these have been due to user error and learning . They are not cheap, but they have been the closest to plug and play i have come across. so far have printed in PLA PETG and TPU
20231005_214632.jpg Screenshot_20240209_143644_Bambu Handy.jpg 20240211_183059.jpg 20240122_103922.jpg 20240209_101605.jpg

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
For my 3rd printer I was hoping to avoid the slow death of tinkering to make things work right and finally put the money down on a Bambu P1S. So far I've printerd at least 6 rolls of PLA with only a few print failures. All but one of these have been due to user error and learning . They are not cheap, but they have been the closest to plug and play i have come across. so far have printed in PLA PETG and TPU
View attachment 44119View attachment 44120View attachment 44121View attachment 44122View attachment 44123
I want to know more about what you are printing @Aarknoid. Models? Fixtures? Tooling? Post a new thread!
And you seem to have a resin printer too? What are you printing with that unit?

Last edited:

Aarknoid

I want to know more about what you are printing @Aarknoid. Models? Fixtures? Tooling
Yes. lol

If people want to know a bit more will post a new thread for it , but for now those pics top to bottom are:

1) some tabletop gaming model for battletech for a friend and to test the smaller nozzle
2) two adapters for my dewalt router; big one is a track saw track adapter for the router, and the smaller piece is a dust collector adapter for the same router
3) printer with the newest additions, resin printer, but they were just taken out of the box. The plan is to do some lost wax casting with some fancy wax resin one day
4) blade protector for a cutter arm at work, the arm swipes across to cut a label off a roll before a robot arm comes and picks it up
5) adapter i designed myself to allow me to flatten a ridge on a work bench that was 1/4 " too high , this may not be the best way to do it , but it did work .

everything but the figures were done in solid works i believe, the last two were for sure

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
4) blade protector for a cutter arm at work, the arm swipes across to cut a label off a roll before a robot arm comes and picks it up
Video tour of that machine working and the guard! or at least some pictures. :cool:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I have been very tempted to buy an X1C/PS1 with AMS for a while, and give up on building a voron. Your nice prints aren't helping.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
I have been very tempted to buy an X1C/PS1 with AMS for a while, and give up on building a voron. Your nice prints aren't helping.
I did this - I realized i had no interest in spending the time it would require to tune the printer, deal with all the parameters and diagnose issues when they came out. It sucks because I had bought 80% of what I needed, but I am quite happy with my X1C - it just works and sending prints without having to use an SD card is something I never want to give up.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very happy with my X1C as well. Its been better than expected. Most prints look better than expected. With all the money i'm saving by coming up with all sorts of new projects, it's almost paid for itself.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
These just came off my x1c. Cable glands for a few upcoming projects. They are 6 bucks each at HD, and I printed a few dozen for 3 bucks.

View attachment 44185

And a few E stop button and tach box

View attachment 44186
What material? I printed some 1.5 to 3/4 inch hose adapters for the irrigation system in PETG and while they work, they do not withstand any bending at all. I tried printing in a different orientation with the filament running lengthwise and while they were a bit better, they leaked a bit.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I used elegoo PLA+ . They seem pretty tough. I will let you know if any fail. These wont see much stress though.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
What material? I printed some 1.5 to 3/4 inch hose adapters for the irrigation system in PETG and while they work, they do not withstand any bending at all. I tried printing in a different orientation with the filament running lengthwise and while they were a bit better, they leaked a bit.
@Doggggboy Have you tried Poly carbonate - PC? I've had some better results with that,

@Dabbler and I also bought some BASF tough PLA. Jury is still out on what we think.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
@Doggggboy Have you tried Poly carbonate - PC? I've had some better results with that,

@Dabbler and I also bought some BASF tough PLA. Jury is still out on what we think.
I printed the 27 hour skull in PC. Turned out nice but it may be a little to brittle for a hose fitting.
It would hold the pressure fine but I don't know if it could stand the bending when moving the hoses around.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I printed some electrical enclosures last night with Elegoo Rapid PLA+. Had a few issues off the get go with blobbing and tearing the first layer off the bed. I googled and found some advice and tweaked the settings. I must say i'm very impressed with it. It feels more like ABS than PLA and the surface finish is very nice. 20240218_131030.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I printed some electrical enclosures last night with Elegoo Rapid PLA+.

I've wasted a lot of money on "make it work" cabinets that were all I could find. Those are drop dead gorgeous Darren. Awesome work!

You could probably include mounting points for connector busses and plates. Would look amazing.

Edit - best of all, if it doesn't fit, just make another one!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They actually look much better to the naked eye than in the photo. From a foot away you can't see the layer lines. At least I can't.

Point of the post was the material. Normal PLA is very stiff and hard feeling. Little flexibility and probably wouldn't handle any impacts. This stuff is much better. Feels a lot more like an ABS type material.

There are 1000's of electrical boxes on Thingiverse. Many have mounts and stuff. Of course you can always customize the designs too.

Best part is that they only cost a buck or two to print,