Tips/Techniques Which printer to buy advice needed

Tips/Techniques

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
One tip i can share. I was having bed adhesion issues, ran out of glue stick, and found out through google that hairspray works well. I tried it out and i don't think i'll be going back to glue sticks. It does work very well and its so much cleaner and easier to apply.

Last edited:

Perry

Ultra Member
So far my vote is still for the Bambu X1C. I have been putting it thru the paces and it is pulling ahead strong.

One thing I have stumbled on that has me wondering about is they show the AMS sitting on top of the X1C printer. I have had a few prints now where they recommend removing the top glass for proper temperature in the chamber. Well that is not too easy when the AMS is sitting up there.

What have you Bambu guys been doing? Any recommendations for a desk/stand that has a separate shelf above the desk surface?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
So far my vote is still for the Bambu X1C. I have been putting it thru the paces and it is pulling ahead strong.

One thing I have stumbled on that has me wondering about is they show the AMS sitting on top of the X1C printer. I have had a few prints now where they recommend removing the top glass for proper temperature in the chamber. Well that is not too easy when the AMS is sitting up there.

What have you Bambu guys been doing? Any recommendations for a desk/stand that has a separate shelf above the desk surface?
I keep mine on top. If the control panel warns about high chamber temperature I check the chamber fan speed and turn it up if it's not already at 100%.
If it is I either open the door or ignore it.
Have you tried anything at Ludicrous speed yet?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Perry, i ran into that too. I left the door open a crack and everything was fine. I've been playing with bed temps a little, and on the latest PLA+ print I raised it from 40 to 55 and it turned out better than previous prints.

Perry

Ultra Member
@Doggggboy No Ludicrous speed for me ...yet. lol. So far time is on my side. I'm happy not having to keep an eye on. If it can print and just do it's job...I'm willing to wait. I got lots of other things to do. Have you tried it yet? The speed on this unit is Ludicrous compared to my old machine.

@Darren I printed one of the Twist lock gift boxes for a friend's birthday. I used the Bambu Petg-CF. You can not see a line on this print. There is no way to make this print any better.

So far following the Bambu recommendations has paid off with no issue prints.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
@Doggggboy No Ludicrous speed for me ...yet. lol. So far time is on my side. I'm happy not having to keep an eye on. If it can print and just do it's job...I'm willing to wait. I got lots of other things to do. Have you tried it yet? The speed on this unit is Ludicrous compared to my old machine.

@Darren I printed one of the Twist lock gift boxes for a friend's birthday. I used the Bambu Petg-CF. You can not see a line on this print. There is no way to make this print any better.

So far following the Bambu recommendations has paid off with no issue prints.
I find the Ludicrous speed to only be useful with PLA and with a fairly simple print without a lots of complex features. It doesn't work well at all with PETG. Seems to need a low melting point filament. I use Sport mode a lot with PLA and have no problems. The CF filaments print nice but I'm honestly not sure if they are any stronger. I think most of my failures occur from layers separating, not the filament breaking.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
One tip i can share. I was having bed adhesion issues, ran out of glue stick, and found out through google that hairspray works well. I tried it out and i don't think i'll be going back to glue sticks. It does work very well and its so much cleaner and easier to apply.
On my glass plate printer I always use hair spray.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I have not had one single failed print since switching to hairspray. I've been printing a bunch of loc line parts and they have turned out perfect. Their shape is somewhat problematic to print.
Which file are you printing and what material?

Aarknoid

I don't know what other printers have it available, but the textured plate for the bambu printers has been excellent, no need for tape or glue or hair spray, but is also a heated bed.

textured PEI plate example

someone has to make a custom version for just about ever printer out there.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have not had one single failed print since switching to hairspray. I've been printing a bunch of loc line parts and they have turned out perfect. Their shape is somewhat problematic to print.
Can I assume its ordinary walmart style in an aerosol form?
I can honestly say I have never had a can of hairspray in my hand
I have had some adhesion issues with abs I will try this thanks.

Bandit

Super User
Ya, starting to have issues too, cleaned the bed with rubbing alcohol, dam near can't get the prints off. Would try some cold treatment, but would have to relevel bed every time removed.
It's been an eye opener, no manual to figure out what the writing on the screen means, and what each thing does. Oh well, used machine, old by 3d printer time lines, not push and play auto. Take pictures of screen, write notes,a little swearin used, phone the son that gave it to me.
Fun, kinda, .,.,!!@&.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
When I got my Kingroon with textured magnetic bed, I just use foaming alcohol glass cleaner to clean it prior to every print. My first layer adhesion problems went away. On my old anet, I used tape, glue stick, hairspray, all the old school tricks, but had best luck with painters tape, cleaned with IPA, and replaced after a handfull of prints. The removable beds are a gamechanger in ease of use.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That's pretty cool. I wonder how they'd hold up in use, but cheap enough to be a consumable within reason. I'll keep that in mind for printing the bigger loc line for woodworking dust collection.
The pla+ material is too flexible, so they don't work, but they didn't break. Warming the pieces in warm water is the best way to pop them together

Bandit

Super User
Maybe have to see about one of them thar " quick removal beds" for the printer. Maybe get 2 of them, the dog can wrestle prints off of one while I set up and print on the other.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The pla+ material is too flexible, so they don't work, but they didn't break. Warming the pieces in warm water is the best way to pop them together
I've thought a few times about making a silicon mold, and casting some different style loc line nozzles from casting resin, but never got farther than the daydream status. At the end of the day, they're so cheap it's not really worth it, but it still doesn't stop me from thinking about making custom stuff like that, and the various ways to do it. I can't turn it off. I just wish I had million dollar ideas, instead of one dollar ideas lol