Which lathe models that have D1-3 camlock spindles?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I can only think of four sources for D1-3 spindle cams available to those people in Canada.

MSC, and Penn Tools sell new replacements, for $58 and $90.80 USD each respectively. x3 Ouch.

I perhaps could find Taiwanese lathe manufacturer that manufactures a lathe that still uses a D1-3 spindle and try to buy directly from them. Lots of work involved in this.

I could potentially make one of acceptable quality to work in my lathe.

Or I can find someone parting out a lathe with a d1-3 camlock spindle and buy that to use the parts from it

So what lathes came with a d1-3 spindle?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
To clarify, I'm in need of spindle CAMS like this

5645137-23.jpg

To replace the ones the previous owner of my lathe bashed in.... so I had to weld a bolt into the cam to get it out. you can see they're all fractured and worn beyond use

IMG_20230402_172850138.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
@TorontoBuilder : the 10/12 “ Utilathes have a D1-3 spindle. I purchased my adapter plates on Amazon:

Thanks Brent. I had thought some standard modern lathes used d1-3. But I only knew the 2000 series took d1-4 for sure.

At least I know what it most likely model to look for being parted out now. These would be cheaper than a monarch 10EE spindle

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
you guys are talking pins...but I think he needs the cams :(

Some SM's and the 10ee are D1-3. Getting a lathe for less 58US x3 and the trouble/cost of moving it seems doubtful though. I'd be a toss up between make or buy. You'll be the better 300 after exchange, hst, shipping and carrier door step extortion fee. They aren't complicated but its a few operations and I aleady have 800 years of work...so a toss up.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
you guys are talking pins...but I think he needs the cams :(

Some SM's and the 10ee are D1-3. Getting a lathe for less 58US x3 and the trouble/cost of moving it seems doubtful though. I'd be a toss up between make or buy. You'll be the better 300 after exchange, hst, shipping and carrier door step extortion fee. They aren't complicated but its a few operations and I aleady have 800 years of work...so a toss up.
I just want to get the parts asap... I figured the off chance one of the dudes south of the tri-cities has a lathe getting parted out I could just get a spindle out of.. I dont just need the cams, I need the can retention screw assemblies as well...

I sent a missive to colchester parts and another UK outfit and am awaiting their replies. I am happy I was able to knock out a few tasks on my long list bringing me closer to getting the chipmaster restored,

darrin1200

Darrin
I got parts for my 10” Utilathe, which uses D1-3, from Racer Machinery in Cambridge. They own Standard Modern as far as I know, and still supply parts for older machines.
+1.519.623.6223

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I got parts for my 10” Utilathe, which uses D1-3, from Racer Machinery in Cambridge. They own Standard Modern as far as I know, and still supply parts for older machines.
+1.519.623.6223
Thank you so much for this info!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Update, racer machinery does not have many parts for older standard modern lathes equipped with D1-3 spindles, and they specifically don't have cams, detent plungers, compression springs and screws.

They referred me to LeBlonde USA. I waiting to hear back from them

Colchester Parts failed to respond to my enquiry about these parts. Previously they did respond to my other parts enquiries.

Not a peep from Myford...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They referred me to LeBlonde USA. I waiting to hear back from them

Leblonde is pretty good. They sent me new way oil rollers and springs for my surface grinder. Shoot me a PM if you want a name and phone number. They were pretty good by email too - responded within a day.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Update 2

Colchester spares got back to me... they have all the original parts available. But the price, sweet baby jesus, I wont be able to eat for a year

1029 - Spindle Cam x 3, use D902H044.1, £41.00 each, ex stock

1161 - Plunger x 3, £22.40 each, ex stock

1225 - Spring x 3, £5.40 each, ex stock

1200 - Plunger screw x 3, £6.24 each, ex stock

£15.00 Carriage.

Convert that to CAD and the cost is over $405.00 plus HST upon arrival