• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Which lathe models that have D1-3 camlock spindles?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I can only think of four sources for D1-3 spindle cams available to those people in Canada.

MSC, and Penn Tools sell new replacements, for $58 and $90.80 USD each respectively. x3 Ouch.

I perhaps could find Taiwanese lathe manufacturer that manufactures a lathe that still uses a D1-3 spindle and try to buy directly from them. Lots of work involved in this.

I could potentially make one of acceptable quality to work in my lathe.

Or I can find someone parting out a lathe with a d1-3 camlock spindle and buy that to use the parts from it

So what lathes came with a d1-3 spindle?

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
To clarify, I'm in need of spindle CAMS like this

5645137-23.jpg

To replace the ones the previous owner of my lathe bashed in.... so I had to weld a bolt into the cam to get it out. you can see they're all fractured and worn beyond use

IMG_20230402_172850138.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
@TorontoBuilder : the 10/12 “ Utilathes have a D1-3 spindle. I purchased my adapter plates on Amazon:

Thanks Brent. I had thought some standard modern lathes used d1-3. But I only knew the 2000 series took d1-4 for sure.

At least I know what it most likely model to look for being parted out now. These would be cheaper than a monarch 10EE spindle

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
you guys are talking pins...but I think he needs the cams :(

Some SM's and the 10ee are D1-3. Getting a lathe for less 58US x3 and the trouble/cost of moving it seems doubtful though. I'd be a toss up between make or buy. You'll be the better 300 after exchange, hst, shipping and carrier door step extortion fee. They aren't complicated but its a few operations and I aleady have 800 years of work...so a toss up.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
you guys are talking pins...but I think he needs the cams :(

Some SM's and the 10ee are D1-3. Getting a lathe for less 58US x3 and the trouble/cost of moving it seems doubtful though. I'd be a toss up between make or buy. You'll be the better 300 after exchange, hst, shipping and carrier door step extortion fee. They aren't complicated but its a few operations and I aleady have 800 years of work...so a toss up.
I just want to get the parts asap... I figured the off chance one of the dudes south of the tri-cities has a lathe getting parted out I could just get a spindle out of.. I dont just need the cams, I need the can retention screw assemblies as well...

I sent a missive to colchester parts and another UK outfit and am awaiting their replies. I am happy I was able to knock out a few tasks on my long list bringing me closer to getting the chipmaster restored,

darrin1200

Darrin
I got parts for my 10” Utilathe, which uses D1-3, from Racer Machinery in Cambridge. They own Standard Modern as far as I know, and still supply parts for older machines.
+1.519.623.6223

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I got parts for my 10” Utilathe, which uses D1-3, from Racer Machinery in Cambridge. They own Standard Modern as far as I know, and still supply parts for older machines.
+1.519.623.6223
Thank you so much for this info!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Update, racer machinery does not have many parts for older standard modern lathes equipped with D1-3 spindles, and they specifically don't have cams, detent plungers, compression springs and screws.

They referred me to LeBlonde USA. I waiting to hear back from them

Colchester Parts failed to respond to my enquiry about these parts. Previously they did respond to my other parts enquiries.

Not a peep from Myford...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
They referred me to LeBlonde USA. I waiting to hear back from them

Leblonde is pretty good. They sent me new way oil rollers and springs for my surface grinder. Shoot me a PM if you want a name and phone number. They were pretty good by email too - responded within a day.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Update 2

Colchester spares got back to me... they have all the original parts available. But the price, sweet baby jesus, I wont be able to eat for a year

1029 - Spindle Cam x 3, use D902H044.1, £41.00 each, ex stock

1161 - Plunger x 3, £22.40 each, ex stock

1225 - Spring x 3, £5.40 each, ex stock

1200 - Plunger screw x 3, £6.24 each, ex stock

£15.00 Carriage.

Convert that to CAD and the cost is over $405.00 plus HST upon arrival