• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Wheeled RC Tank Build

LoL well I found the next weak point...seems 1/2" solid aluminum rod isn't quite enough to handle the bouncing around on rough terrain.

279506897_1167709210713238_5091687061854516316_n.jpg

Wow. Looks like you could use some suspension improvements. Maybe tubular steel? Or axle dampening?
I've got some 1/2" steel rod on hand that I'll try first.

The suspension amounts to the rubber in the tires, there's nothing else. I'd have to do a completely new design to add suspension, though maybe version 2.

I've got some 1/2" steel rod on hand that I'll try first.

The suspension amounts to the rubber in the tires, there's nothing else. I'd have to do a completely new design to add suspension, though maybe version 2.

I actually suspected that, but didn't want to jump in with that foot first.

Basically that means the load on the axle can go to infinity minus a tire whenever the thing tries to fly........

I just watched the tank build from the start - well done! - It was an ambitious/creative undertaking and it ended up being a good learning experience. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I just watched the tank build from the start - well done! - It was an ambitious/creative undertaking and it ended up being a good learning experience. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Thanks for watching it...it was, something. I have a lot of ideas on how to improve it for a version 2.

Get your mill yet? :)

Here's the finale...or failnale...I needed to wrap this up and it's been months, but at least some conclusion to this build and hints about what is to come:

Looks to me like you had a riot making and failing that nale.....

Love your Tupperware Nale garage too..... ;)

Although I know now that it will never happen, I always wanted to build a tracked tank. In fact, we drive past the old armory every so often and they have a tracked tank on display. I think sometimes about buying one and using it to work dirt on my farm. How cool would that be!

Prolly not cool at all. In fact, I bet it's an oven inside one of those! But hey, there is a little boy hiding inside every old man someplace.

@Susquatch said "I bet it's an oven inside one of those! But hey, there is a little boy hiding inside every old man someplace."

True story:
My Dad was a tank Commander during WWII. He didn't say a lot about the War until his later years. He did say that inside the tank was not the most comfortable place to be but better than a muddy ditch. The worst part was the stale air + the fumes from firing their gun (gunpowder smoke trapped inside). A Canadian tank Commander (Commander or Platoon Leader) was in charge of 4 tanks. Four Canadian tanks were considered to be a fair fight against one German tank. During battle, the Commander would usually have his head sticking out of the turret so he could direct the other 3 tanks that would be all closed up. Near the end of the War, his tank was hit and he was blown out of the turret like a champagne cork. They were retreating at the time. They couldn't carry out the bodies and only saved the wounded. He was left for dead with a broken back and was paralyzed. The next day when the Germans were collecting their wounded they pushed his body off the road and into a muddy ditch. He couldn't move but could hear & see them and he knew a bit of German. One German said, "he isn't stiff" (no rigor mortis). The other German said "so shoot him" and the guy shot my Dad twice (he apparently wasn't a very good shot). The next day the Germans retreated and the battle lines changed again. The Canadians were collecting bodies on a wagon. They noticed he wasn't stiff so they threw him in the back of the Jeep instead of onto the wagon. They still didn't think he was alive.
Anyhow - after being patched up and sent home, he spent many months recovering at Sunnybrook (Toronto). He always had a sore back but that never stopped him from leading a normal life and a successful career. Throughout his life, it was a regular occurrence for a piece of shrapnel to work its way out and break through his skin like a large sliver. I was visiting when my Mother pulled a piece out of his back when he was 90 and still living at home. He passed peacefully at 92.

CW

@Susquatch said "I bet it's an oven inside one of those! But hey, there is a little boy hiding inside every old man someplace."

True story:
My Dad was a tank Commander during WWII. He didn't say a lot about the War until his later years. He did say that inside the tank was not the most comfortable place to be but better than a muddy ditch. The worst part was the stale air + the fumes from firing their gun (gunpowder smoke trapped inside). A Canadian tank Commander (Commander or Platoon Leader) was in charge of 4 tanks. Four Canadian tanks were considered to be a fair fight against one German tank. During battle, the Commander would usually have his head sticking out of the turret so he could direct the other 3 tanks that would be all closed up. Near the end of the War, his tank was hit and he was blown out of the turret like a champagne cork. They were retreating at the time. They couldn't carry out the bodies and only saved the wounded. He was left for dead with a broken back and was paralyzed. The next day when the Germans were collecting their wounded they pushed his body off the road and into a muddy ditch. He couldn't move but could hear & see them and he knew a bit of German. One German said, "he isn't stiff" (no rigor mortis). The other German said "so shoot him" and the guy shot my Dad twice (he apparently wasn't a very good shot). The next day the Germans retreated and the battle lines changed again. The Canadians were collecting bodies on a wagon. They noticed he wasn't stiff so they threw him in the back of the Jeep instead of onto the wagon. They still didn't think he was alive.
Anyhow - after being patched up and sent home, he spent many months recovering at Sunnybrook (Toronto). He always had a sore back but that never stopped him from leading a normal life and a successful career. Throughout his life, it was a regular occurrence for a piece of shrapnel to work its way out and break through his skin like a large sliver. I was visiting when my Mother pulled a piece out of his back when he was 90 and still living at home. He passed peacefully at 92.

CW

That is absolutely incredible and truly a testimate of sheer human will to survive.

Back