• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool What is your oldest tool in the shed ?

Tool

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
One of mine is a Fuchs indictor set in case dated 1916 on card . Bratschi manufacturing CO out of Cleveland Ohio . Original cost $5.50 . Case was an extra 75 cents for a velvet lined . Removed from my Uncle's Fathers 1916 Union chest . This was full of old time top quality tools for those days . Missing is my Uncle's 1937 Gerstner box that was sold at Cabin Fever last month to make room .

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    505 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 12

Bandit

Super User
Depends what shed, sometimes its me. Have a mic. of my grandfather's, he died before I was born, so thats one. I also have a few of some great uncles tools, they were mostly dead before I was born too. Some feeler gauges, a vernier caliper, a 6 in. Square, some punchs and chisels, and a few other ends and odds.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Small red Spiralux 100 screwdriver, given to me in 1980 from a retired shipwright who immigrated to Canada in 1954, so likely pre-war.

Greenlee 442 “Yankee“ screwdriver, 1934

Cylindrical height gauge, 1948

Lufkin folding rule, they stopped making this model in 1950.

Bandsaw 1936

IMG_3757.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A mid 1880s FE Reed lathe. Still works too. That old girl taught me more about using a lathe than any new modern machine ever could have. Its missing a few change gears on the cast chart pinned to it. I plan to make them for her. Project 42r6. I'm not going to sell her. At some point, I will give it to some young guy who can't afford one but desperately wants one. That's how it came to be mine. It's done a lot of amazing work.

Jswain

Joe
1936 South bend lathe. Still have the receipt & original documentation & a hand written letter from South bend to the original owner.

I took it all with a nice version of "how to run a lathe" and vacuum sealed it because I thought that was pretty dang neat to have survived that long.

ChazzC

OK, Dave, you asked for it:
20240312 Oldest Tool Annotated.jpeg
A - Unbranded Thickness Micrometer (yes, micrometer: graduated in thousandths around the big dial), age unknown; rescued during the Raymark Friction clear-out

B - Stanley Bailey 4-1/2 Smoothing Plane, 1913 — 1941 (has features of both Type 15 &16; definitely not later); part of what I got when my Father passed in 1994 (yes, it needs some love [and new blade & iron], which is now on my list)

C - Starrett 320 & 323 9" rules, 1919-ish (per my guy at Starrett)

D - Unbranded Yankee Style Push Drill, age unknown; steel handle, chuck & internals, but brass (used to be plated) shaft tubes; also from my Father

Do I win?

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Hey chazz . I have 10 or so old planes down here . Really haven't investigated them yet . One is solid wood on the mantle , guess I should look into these things when I get the time .

This tool box belonged to an older fellow (I think even older than you @Susquatch :eek:) it was made by his grandfather probably in the late 1800's as was the square. Both were likely apprentice projects.
I rescued the box and it's contents from under a pile of crap on a shop floor that you couldn't find without moving a 3 ft pile of junk, and to top it off it was sitting face forward drawers open in a puddle of water from recent rain..... I got a post vise from the same disaster, I offered him pennies on his ask and told him he was damned lucky to find someone who would look after his grandfather's legacy since he didn't give a rats s$$.... 20240312_084806.jpg 20240312_084822.jpg

ChazzC

Hey chazz . I have 10 or so old planes down here . Really haven't investigated them yet . One is solid wood on the mantle , guess I should look into these things when I get the time .
Any decent blades & irons? 2-3/8" wide for a No. 4-1/2 plane

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a few of my grandfathers tools from when he was a carpenter before WW1. During the war he wasn't allowed to enlist, so he started working for CP Rail. Died in 1924.

Last edited: