Tool What is your oldest tool in the shed ?

Tool

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
One of mine is a Fuchs indictor set in case dated 1916 on card . Bratschi manufacturing CO out of Cleveland Ohio . Original cost $5.50 . Case was an extra 75 cents for a velvet lined . Removed from my Uncle's Fathers 1916 Union chest . This was full of old time top quality tools for those days . Missing is my Uncle's 1937 Gerstner box that was sold at Cabin Fever last month to make room .

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    505 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 12

Bandit

Super User
Depends what shed, sometimes its me. Have a mic. of my grandfather's, he died before I was born, so thats one. I also have a few of some great uncles tools, they were mostly dead before I was born too. Some feeler gauges, a vernier caliper, a 6 in. Square, some punchs and chisels, and a few other ends and odds.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Small red Spiralux 100 screwdriver, given to me in 1980 from a retired shipwright who immigrated to Canada in 1954, so likely pre-war.

Greenlee 442 “Yankee“ screwdriver, 1934

Cylindrical height gauge, 1948

Lufkin folding rule, they stopped making this model in 1950.

Bandsaw 1936

IMG_3757.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 3

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
A mid 1880s FE Reed lathe. Still works too. That old girl taught me more about using a lathe than any new modern machine ever could have. Its missing a few change gears on the cast chart pinned to it. I plan to make them for her. Project 42r6. I'm not going to sell her. At some point, I will give it to some young guy who can't afford one but desperately wants one. That's how it came to be mine. It's done a lot of amazing work.

Jswain

Joe
1936 South bend lathe. Still have the receipt & original documentation & a hand written letter from South bend to the original owner.

I took it all with a nice version of "how to run a lathe" and vacuum sealed it because I thought that was pretty dang neat to have survived that long.

ChazzC

OK, Dave, you asked for it:
20240312 Oldest Tool Annotated.jpeg
A - Unbranded Thickness Micrometer (yes, micrometer: graduated in thousandths around the big dial), age unknown; rescued during the Raymark Friction clear-out

B - Stanley Bailey 4-1/2 Smoothing Plane, 1913 — 1941 (has features of both Type 15 &16; definitely not later); part of what I got when my Father passed in 1994 (yes, it needs some love [and new blade & iron], which is now on my list)

C - Starrett 320 & 323 9" rules, 1919-ish (per my guy at Starrett)

D - Unbranded Yankee Style Push Drill, age unknown; steel handle, chuck & internals, but brass (used to be plated) shaft tubes; also from my Father

Do I win?

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Hey chazz . I have 10 or so old planes down here . Really haven't investigated them yet . One is solid wood on the mantle , guess I should look into these things when I get the time .

This tool box belonged to an older fellow (I think even older than you @Susquatch :eek:) it was made by his grandfather probably in the late 1800's as was the square. Both were likely apprentice projects.
I rescued the box and it's contents from under a pile of crap on a shop floor that you couldn't find without moving a 3 ft pile of junk, and to top it off it was sitting face forward drawers open in a puddle of water from recent rain..... I got a post vise from the same disaster, I offered him pennies on his ask and told him he was damned lucky to find someone who would look after his grandfather's legacy since he didn't give a rats s$$.... 20240312_084806.jpg 20240312_084822.jpg

ChazzC

Hey chazz . I have 10 or so old planes down here . Really haven't investigated them yet . One is solid wood on the mantle , guess I should look into these things when I get the time .
Any decent blades & irons? 2-3/8" wide for a No. 4-1/2 plane

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I have a few of my grandfathers tools from when he was a carpenter before WW1. During the war he wasn't allowed to enlist, so he started working for CP Rail. Died in 1924.

Last edited: