• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

What House are you?

I generally tend to be a team blue fanboy but for battery stuff I am on team yellow - I originally bought a Nicad 7 tool combo kit almost 20 years ago, but when Dewalt finally stopped supporting Nicad batteries, and then the hammer drill died a couple years ago, I began converting to their lithium ion platform, and it's been a quantum leap in performance. For corded stuff, I am mainly with team blue, but have stuff from almost everyone.

ahhhh, house Makita trlvn san.

Always like the quality. One day I needed to buy a part and was so really struck by how reasonable it was. Maybe the others as a good, but I was kind of expected to get bent over by a manufacture for needed part. Was so pleasantly surprised we've been bff's since. Well except for a track say issue :(

Makita 18V Blue for years. Still have some. Got some Red 12V and love how compact and handy it is. But only buying Dewalt 20V Yellow now. Been slowly turfing or donating corded stuff ever since I got the 20V.

I am impressed by the Dewalt 20V torque, durability, ruggedness, battery life, balance, speed, and ease of use. Better than corded. Would like to try 60V, but am afraid I'll be spoiled.

As a guy that deals with tool warranty and suppliers for all the brands, I’ve got news for you. They all suck.

That being said I have red. I’ve had a few warranties and broken tools though. I’m also a pro electrician so they get used harder likely.

Certainly not going to cover up my standard-modern lathes tramp stamp to get a Milwaukee one put over top.

I do recommend that if people are buying for occasional or like rv boat use. Buy rigid, they are the only company that has a 100% warranty on their batteries. So if the batteries go after a couple years back to HD and get new ones.

For large cordless, its a split between dewalt and Milwaukee, pretty much down the middle. Mils batteries are better but dewalt has the better price on tools. Split decision.

For 12 volt Milwaukee all day long, I have had several 12 volt sets and the m12 is the best by far. Size use and power can not be beat. I use the m12 stuff way more then any others at work.

Ryobi is definitely a contender these days. I have the ryobi brad nailer and love it. I have an old multi tool set, like 20 years old and the new batteries work great in the old tools. Can't say that for my 18v dewalt and v18 Milwaukee stuff.

Dewalt 20v for work stuff, over a dozen tools and at least that many batterie. Milwaukee m12 for the small stuff, again about a dozen tools and at least that many batteries, dewalt 12v is lame. Shop stuff dewalt and makita for grinders and corded drills. Ryobi mostly for the hobby stuff. All tho I do have a ryobi brad nailer and love it. I even have Canadian tire for the yard stuff.

And House Ryobi for me. Got a drill/driver combination a bunch of years ago with 2 batteries for less than the two batteries alone.

Once they got ahold of you by your batteries, they have you!

Couple of year ago a friend told me Home Depot had a smoking deal on a weed trimmer for it. $17. Normal price was something like $120. Must have been an error, but I got there before they caught it. So did he.
HD does this. If they have to clear inventory for a new product in the same category they will drop the prices to almost nothing. I got a dewalt hammer drill for $89, regular $349 at the time. If you look around the store you will see the yellow tags. some tags are just the regular sales but every now and then they have huge discounts. Friend at work got a gas pressure washer for $419, regular was triple that so they can have those sales. Even better if it is a demo item and they no longer carry them. Look around, close to the employee desks in each section and there should be a table or area for clearance. I do this about once a week when I'm in the store for work, monthly when I'm not. Never hurts to ask about scratch and dent also. HD event pricing is also good for 60 days. Missed fathers day sale, you can ask them to go back, they have honored these sales for me every time I have asked. It really helps to have the sales flyer. if you get em in your email makes it easier.

My first cordless was a Dewalt 9.6 volt drill (dark grey, not yellow) I bought used in '97 w/ a bunch of construction tools that a renter had left behind at a friend's place. It ran OK for a few years but was no powerhouse.

When the battery finally crapped out and I couldn't find a replacement, I asked for a Dewalt 18 volt cordless drill for Christmas and Santa delivered. Over the years I've bought & replaced a few batteries for it, as well as added a few more tools to the system. I use the drill the lion's share of the time & occasionally an impact driver. Used even less is a cordless saw, an impact gun, an angle grinder and a recip saw. I picked up all of the latter used here & there for cheap.

They've done everything I've asked of them and, as far as a hobbyist is concerned, they've delivered.

As an aside, I have a buddy who swears by Porter Cable.

Once they got ahold of you by your batteries, they have you!

Agreed. Ergo, there is some risk. What about the corporate side of things, how does it affect things? What sort of business structure is deserving of your support?

The trend the last 20 years is some conglomerate or private equity firm buys a business and cuts costs by offshoring. Milking the brand. Stupid imo as long term it destroys the most valuable thing the business has, its brand, but alas, they have more zeros than me and aren't calling me up for advice. Look how many tool brands are in this situation. Life for the division/sub exec revolves around reporting, quarterly results, growth, cost cutting, setting strategy and acquisitions drive the day. Somewhere down the list is being a great tool manufacturer, but nobody talks about that anymore.

Dewalt (as it is currently) was an invention of Black and Decker. I remember the case study; B&D had no presence in the contractor space (perhaps the crap tools?) and marketing was searching for a way in. They looked at many dormant brand names they owned and picked Dewalt and gave it a quality line of tools ..... great, until someone thinks a change in strategy would be better: sell it, take it downmarket, cheapen it for great profits, whatever.

Milwaukee and Ryobi are owned by a massive conglomerate out of Hong Kong. Sames risk, someone decides to jettison one, take one down market etc.

The two standouts, Hilti and Makita, are just companies making tools.

1719050398146.gif

Last edited:
I'm in the Ryobi camp, reasonable price and battery crossover. We have several side grinders that likely see the most use, but the reciprocating saw is a favorite as well.

Ill stick with Rigid lifetime warranty replacement on everything drill, charger and batteries.
2 weeks ago had one of my batteries die 18V. Thiers no Rigid service center near me so off to HD I go. The Rigid rep happened to be there, showed him my warranty registration and he replaced the battery and new charger no questions asked. I bought this drill in 2012. About 6 or so years ago the chuck on the drill packed up, Rigid replaced the entire drill. By the way this guy also reps Milwaukee so there seems to be some collaboration between the 2 . The only trick with Rigid is you have 90 days to register the product or you miss the lifetime warranty..

As a guy that deals with tool warranty and suppliers for all the brands, I’ve got news for you. They all suck.

Most of our members are VERY handy guys. They are not your average handy man. As a group they don't buy tools that suck. Individually though, we all make mistakes.

I think it's better to look at the history of battery tools to get a sense of where we are today. I've had a few tools made in the early days of battery tools that were not exactly wonderful. But same goes for more than a few corded tools. I think my first corded tool was a Craftsman (might have been B&D) Drill with loose sleeves instead of bearings. Now THAT was. JUNK! But it did drill holes for a while. Then a skill saw that wasn't much better. Many more years later I got a Makita 9.6V NiCad. By now we all know about NiCads. Thank God for lithium. But I think the turning point for most of us was the day we put our corded tools away and started reaching for a battery tool instead. That day is a ways behind us now.

A true funny story. A neighbour was building a deck under a time crunch and asked me to help. I arrived with my Dewalt 20V circular saw, drill, and driver. He laughed at me and said we had no time for toys. Told me to use his good Red corded tools instead. I said no thanks and plugged my charger in instead. 45 minutes later he sawed right through the extension cord he was using for all his corded tools. When the swearing cleared, he noticed I had done about 1/3 more boards than he had and complimented me on my skills. It's not my skill I said, batteries are just better - just as strong, but a lot faster with no cords to worry about.

The deck got done that day, but he bought a red battery set the very next morning while he was buying deck lights.

I've mentioned this before. I have a 20V Dewalt Impact Gun that will put out 1200ft-lbs. Think about that. 1200 foot pounds is just like a 200 pound man leaning on a 6 ft pipe! It is an amazing battery tool and has even replaced air in my shop.

I also have a 20V chainsaw that won't do HUGE logs, but it will do BIG ones. I even prefer it over my husky industrial saw. No cord to pull start - just press a button and go! I bought it on a whim at TSC, but I'd buy another in a heart beat today even if it did turn out to be disposable junk sometime soon.......

20240622_094650.jpg
Wild Black Cherry Tree

Battery tools can always be improved, but even as is today, I don't ever want to go back to the days of corded hand tools. I don't think of battery tools as junk. I think of them as AMAZING junk!

I just pray that @Mcgyver's warning about the possibility of bad business directions never happens. And it's not like Makita and Hilti are immune either. They could get purchased and become part of a conglomerate tomorrow.

I was team green but switched about 12 years ago to team red. Used 10+ hours a day and have only had to repair the safety switch on the saw a few years ago. Just recently added some 12v to the tool bag and they are very handy for small stuff and tight spaces.

@Susquatch my comment was more geared towards the fact that all of the brands have tool failures. We have guys with red, yellow, and blue, and we see all of them go in for service.

We see all of them break in silly ways, and they have their quirks.

For example, DeWalt Drill handles break under heavy torque. I’m talking like a 4.5” hole saw, or an 1 1/4 auger bit. We have seen that about 8 times over 6 years with multiple guys.

Milwaukee cordless grinder gear boxes seize up under heavy use. Seen that 5 times.

Milwaukee drill castings will break or the gears will strip…. That happens alot.

DeWalt gear boxes in their 1/4” drive impacts are known to seize…. Seen that alot.

None of them are “indestructible”.

I’ve gone through three Milwaukee drills in ten years, three grinders, two impacts.

And there’s other guys with similar stories of DeWalt.

I originally used Dewalt. After a disappointing trial with Porter Cable and Milwaukee I went back to Dewalt and am happy again.

Battery issues with the Porter Cable but it was mechanically sound. With my line of work I need a drill I can use as a screw gun with reasonably good torque control. The Milwaukee was useless for this. Even at it's lowest setting it would over drive every screw. The cheap 12 volt Dewalt I bought at Canadian Tire is excellent for this. The Milwaukee is good for carpentry though. I especially like the impact gun for driving long screws into wood.

Back