• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What are you guys using for lathe threading tools?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The thing that some folks who operate smaller lathes may experience, which potentially conflicts with the inverted tool method that Joe Pi shows is: the tool post may not accommodate the elevation change of the tool holder + shank. Hopefully sketch makes sense. A thicker body insert holder would be more challenged than a thinner stick of HSS. And like we have discussed before, rotating reverse might conflict with screw on chucks vs his D1-X spindle depending on the cutting load. And not all lathes apparently have independent forward & reverse feed direction? I'm not well versed on that aspect, I only know my own lathe. But ya, if you can start from the recess & run out towards the tail stock, much less knuckle biting adventure disengaging.

Attachments

• SNAG-1-21-2022 002.jpg
    SNAG-1-21-2022 002.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 6

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Got a link to the AliExpress Mesa tool? I like the looks of that. The one's @Susquatch linked to look interesting but just a little too pricey.

I think perhaps your thrifty tongue is in your cheek...... Ya, they are definitely not Ali priced. And as @DPittman suggests, I doubt they are available there. Maybe at a few specialty sellers. I think I recall that Brownells & Midway both sell them. Maybe Grizzly too. They are very popular with precision smith's.

Yes pricey, but IMHO, worth every single penny - especially the HSS Warners. The Warner tool can do what no other threading tool can do. These are HSS Inserts. The LH/RH Inside/Outside capability alone is amazing. Add in the thread size range and the convenience of a pre-ground indexible insert with three working tips. If mine broke, I'd order another one 5 minutes later.

In fact, I like this Warner tool soooo much that I'll make you an offer. Order one. If you don't LOVE it, you can send it to me and I'll give you what you paid for it plus shipping to me.

OK, as @whydontu would say, that is my last dead horse flogging.

For today anyway......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The thing that some folks who operate smaller lathes may experience, which potentially conflicts with the inverted tool method that Joe Pi shows is: the tool post may not accommodate the elevation change of the tool holder + shank. Hopefully sketch makes sense. A thicker body insert holder would be more challenged than a thinner stick of HSS. And like we have discussed before, rotating reverse might conflict with screw on chucks vs his D1-X spindle depending on the cutting load. And not all lathes apparently have independent forward & reverse feed direction? I'm not well versed on that aspect, I only know my own lathe. But ya, if you can start from the recess & run out towards the tail stock, much less knuckle biting adventure disengaging.

I don't see what you mean Peter. I see the inverted tool, but what is all that stuff on the LHS of your drawing?

But ya, a threaded on chuck is a problem. One that I'd be trying to solve if that's what I had. My old Reed has a screw on chuck but I doubt you could cut 14 tpi on it let alone 24 or 48.

I thought all you threaded chuck members were drooling over chuck clamps a while back.......

But I feel your pain either way.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't see what you mean Peter. I see the inverted tool, but what is all that stuff on the LHS of your drawing?

But ya, a threaded on chuck is a problem. One that I'd be trying to solve if that's what I had. My old Reed has a screw on chuck but I doubt you could cut 14 tpi on it let alone 24 or 48.

I thought all you threaded chuck members were drooling over chuck clamps a while back.......

But I feel your pain either way.
Did someone say chuck clamps? Where do I get one of them??? :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I think perhaps your thrifty tongue is in your cheek...... Ya, they are definitely not Ali priced. And as @DPittman suggests, I doubt they are available there. Maybe at a few specialty sellers. I think I recall that Brownells & Midway both sell them. Maybe Grizzly too. They are very popular with precision smith's.

Yes pricey, but IMHO, worth every single penny - especially the HSS Warners. The Warner tool can do what no other threading tool can do. These are HSS Inserts. The LH/RH Inside/Outside capability alone is amazing. Add in the thread size range and the convenience of a pre-ground indexible insert with three working tips. If mine broke, I'd order another one 5 minutes later.

In fact, I like this Warner tool soooo much that I'll make you an offer. Order one. If you don't LOVE it, you can send it to me and I'll give you what you paid for it plus shipping to me.

OK, as @whydontu would say, that is my last dead horse flogging.

For today anyway......

Ya, I'm sold on the Warners too, but but but..... I'll think on your offer.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Did someone say chuck clamps? Where do I get one of them??? :)

Here is a link to at least one post on the subject.

Post in thread 'King 1022 $1900' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/king-1022-1900.4355/post-58840

I didn't find anything else. Seems odd to me that would remember the discussion with so few posts. My memory just isn't that good. So I think there must be more.

That said, surely this issue is big enough that it has been solved. There are waaaayy too many really sharp people out there who must have put their brains and talent to the task.

And if not, I vote we start a challenge on the problem to see what all your collective talents can accomplish. I'll happily contribute but my old Reed isn't too likely to be a good test bed.

Anybody else interested in starting a thread on this issue or already know of a good solution?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ya, we've been down the chuck clamp path before. This the clamping 4J I got from @Johnwa (thanks John).

a860e4f7-80ca-4854-8ed9-724c5bf40279-jpeg.18198

I have been threading in reverse now. Too chicken to try to mimic this arrangement on my 3J back plate though. Maybe if I lucked into an cheap back plate I'd give it a go.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is a link to at least one post on the subject.

Post in thread 'King 1022 $1900' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/king-1022-1900.4355/post-58840

I didn't find anything else. Seems odd to me that would remember the discussion with so few posts. My memory just isn't that good. So I think there must be more.

That said, surely this issue is big enough that it has been solved. There are waaaayy too many really sharp people out there who must have put their brains and talent to the task.

And if not, I vote we start a challenge on the problem to see what all your collective talents can accomplish. I'll happily contribute but my old Reed isn't too likely to be a good test bed.

Anybody else interested in starting a thread on this issue or already know of a good solution?
thread started

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I didn't explain it properly. Round-2. If you use a conventional RH threading tool tool in conventional direction TS to HS mode, you can thread up to shoulder like so. But if you take that same threading tool with intention to invert it to thread away, HS to TS, then the shank must rise relative to the tool post in order to be on centerline of work. A smaller lathe/toolpost may not accommodate that a/p side view. What you ideally want is a LH threading holder...which is a different toolholder & different insert, at least on Carmex style topside insert style shown. Not all toolholders hold the cutting insert the same of course. I'm just saying check it out beforehand. I see Mesa makes a double ended one with upright tool. Not sure about the HSS version didn't get that far.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-01-21 6.18.14 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-01-21 6.18.14 PM.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
  • SNAG-2022-01-21 6.00.31 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-01-21 6.00.31 PM.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 6
  • SNAG-2022-01-21 6.14.31 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-01-21 6.14.31 PM.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 6
  • SNAG-2022-01-21 6.30.27 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-01-21 6.30.27 PM.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 6

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes for small lathe and threading only, the hss inserts are in my opinion the best way to go. But if you want carbide and/or grooving capabilities the Mesa tool is hard to beat.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes for small lathe and threading only the hss inserts are in my opinion the best way to go. But if you want carbide and/or grooving capabilities the Mesa tool is hard to beat.

Agreed. There is a nice place on the tool shelf I made to mount on my lathe backsplash for both the Mesa and the Warner.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya, we've been down the chuck clamp path before. This the clamping 4J I got from @Johnwa (thanks John).

a860e4f7-80ca-4854-8ed9-724c5bf40279-jpeg.18198

I have been threading in reverse now. Too chicken to try to mimic this arrangement on my 3J back plate though. Maybe if I lucked into an cheap back plate I'd give it a go.

Yup, that's it!

Thanks @YYCHM !

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)

Let me know if you're going to do that and I'll hold of on ordering a set for myself - I'll make the same offer (and @Susquatch has a set already, I would like/need some for some upcoming parts I'm wanting to fab).

Attachments

• jack bolts.JPG
    jack bolts.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 9

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Was just looking at the warner threading tools and they show inserts with 10 deg. back rake and 0 deg back rake. What would the application be for each?

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Of course, if your toolpost doesn't have enough elevation adjustment to mount the tool upside down, then you could always get one of these:

202420600_d50_0_0~tl02_04.png

s-l300.jpg

Specifically designed so that you can go upside down.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Was just looking at the warner threading tools and they show inserts with 10 deg. back rake and 0 deg back rake. What would the application be for each?

The thing with the Warner tools that is VERY unusual is that they are SHARP HSS Inserts. If I remember correctly one of them is for inside threading and the other is for outside threading.

These are awesome tools.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm pretty boring, and use std HSS mostly. I have a variety of toolbits I've ground over the years, big and small, and generally have one that will fit the need at hand. I do use std 16er carbide inserts in the CNC lathe at work, and will occasionally rob that tool for use in the manuals when I can't hold something in the CNC.

There are a lot of nice tooling examples in this thread I would like to own or make someday. The reality is though, I just don't do much single point threading.

I think I've got some internal/external import insert tooling at home, but I'm not sure. I went on a import tooling buying spree a few years ago for the lathe, but can't remember off hand what I have. I rarely single point thread at home. I prefer to do it all at work when I need to. When the options are a Hardinge HLV-H and a Nakamura CNC lathe vs a Myford Super 7, the Myford loses everytime lol. I should do one this weekend just to see if I still remember how.

I made this grinding/sharpening block quite a few years ago for the surface grinder. It does the job, but If I were to make it again, I'd make it bigger. This little one requires too much blocking to hold it in place.
F7nX8gvl.jpg

MSgTLoDl.jpg

One of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" projects from the days when I had time, and really enjoyed making stuff lol. I've probably used it less than 5 times.