• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

What air compressor CFM and reservoir size needed to run a 50 amp plasma cutter

JimGnitecki

In your case of trying to maximize bottle usage & as much pressure retention throughout the bottle life that you can , I would shorten that air line with the quick coupler to the absolute minimum you need ( position your plasma cutter as close as you can. The optimum thing would be to do away with that quick coupler and join them solid....every time you disconnect there is going to be an escape of gas equivalent to that long hose ID...that PSSSHt you hear every time you uncouple in this case is money not just air.
I can't leave them permanently coupled because the plasma cutter needs to be protected against sawdust and other stuff that could get inside it from the shop's interior air. So, the plasma cutter gets "put away" when not is actual use. Also, I figured out that I COULD get by with a LITTLE less than 25 feet, but my choices in 2 different sroes came down to 5', 25', or 50'.

The entire cubic volume of that 25' long x 3/8" diameter air hose calculates out to about 0.02 of a cubic foot, believe it or not, so it is actually very small. I was astonished at how small when I did the math (twice to make sure I did not make an error),

Jim G

JimGnitecki

My shielding gas tanks are right beside my welder. Shutting down the welder and turning off the gas supply line is always done at the same time. That's another good reason to have your tank close to the cutter - therefore easy to shut them both off at the same time.
You are right of course, and that is exactly what I do with my TIG welder and its Argon supply. The Argon cylinder is small and lighter weight. and is chained onto the cart that holds the TIG welder, so that's practical to do.

But, the Nitrogen tank is too heavy to load into and out of any cart in a one-"senior"-man shop, and would require a very SOLID and heavy and large cart to remain reliably STABLE. It's also not the easiest thing to move in and out of the garage and sloped driveway when refills become encessary. So, for safety, and to save a LOT of space, and to make refills a lot easierI want it to be strapped to those 2 wall mounted hookd, in the far corner of the garage where I do not work, and where it is RIGHT beside the overhead door for easy pickup and delivery by the weld supplies trucker.

Jim G

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Be interesting if the fitting size limits delivery, I use the large high flow air fittings myself, with a 1/2” hose. But then again it’s a plasma cutter and not an air tool, as such

JimGnitecki

Be interesting if the fitting size limits delivery, I use the large high flow air fittings myself, with a 1/2” hose. But then again it’s a plasma cutter and not an air tool, as such
Yes, I am currently thinking that:

1. It's a very small plasma cutter - just a step above the very lowest cost ones that lack some of its features ( Pilot arc, front mounted psi control, front mounted psi gage, adjustable post flow, etc)

2. The user manual says specifically that psi should be kept under 65 or 70 psi, so it's unlikely to require LOTS of cfm

But if necessary, I can change the hose fittings to larger ones. That though would then require an "adaptor" for my finish nailer.

Jim G

JimGnitecki

View attachment 30751Adapters are easy to make

Also I prefer the liquid pipe dope, although I have seen some guys use tape then liquid pipe dope
I've seen the liquid pipe sealer mentioned, and would be very interested in hearing more about it, as the white tape is a major pain to use and somewhat unreliable in its performance (as I confirmed today again).

How long does the lquid product take to "dry" or "cure"?
Where do you buy it?
Any preferred brands?

Jim G

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I've seen the liquid pipe sealer mentioned, and would be very interested in hearing more about it, as the white tape is a major pain to use and somewhat unreliable in its performance (as I confirmed today again).

How long does the lquid product take to "dry" or "cure"?
Where do you buy it?
Any preferred brands?

Jim G
BDCA79F1-612A-4581-9F34-861B9FC03B25.jpeg Well, for starters (not to be rude) the cheap white Teflon tape is mostly garbage. Masters orange tape is quite a bit thicker and works much better. Pretty sure Home Depot or home hardware carry it, it’s out there anyway. It’s easy to find

The Loctite liquid dope is easily found at a Napa or similar. I’d say 15 minutes or so for it to “cure”

What some people don’t understand is the purpose of the tape or the liquid is to add lubrication to the joint, plus fill small voids after. But it’s mostly to allow you to gronk on it easier, to get it tighter

There is a myriad of tapes and dopes once you start getting into gas fitting and steam pipe fitting, but Masters orange or loctite liquid are my go to’s

JimGnitecki

View attachment 30752Well, for starters (not to be rude) the cheap white Teflon tape is mostly garbage. Masters orange tape is quite a bit thicker and works much better. Pretty sure Home Depot or home hardware carry it, it’s out there anyway. It’s easy to find

The Loctite liquid dope is easily found at a Napa or similar. I’d say 15 minutes or so for it to “cure”

What some people don’t understand is the purpose of the tape or the liquid is to add lubrication to the joint, plus fill small voids after. But it’s mostly to allow you to gronk on it easier, to get it tighter

There is a myriad of tapes and dopes once you start getting into gas fitting and steam pipe fitting, but Masters orange or loctite liquid are my go to’s
I'll look locally for the Loctite 565 thread sealant!

Jim G

JimGnitecki

Home Depot and other home centers here in Lethbridge don't appear to have 565. there is no NAPA store here locally either. Amazon.ca has it, but wants $54 for a 5 ml tube of it. Not looking good so far.

Also, at least one wbesite says it hardens in 15 minutes or so, but takes 24 hours to fully cure.

Jim G

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @JimGnitecki where in Lethbridge are you?
(I'm a former Lethbridge kid, lived on 6th Ave A South till I was six then on an acreage out by the penn till 1979)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Home Depot and other home centers here in Lethbridge don't appear to have 565. there is no NAPA store here locally either. Amazon.ca has it, but wants $54 for a 5 ml tube of it. Not looking good so far.

Also, at least one wbesite says it hardens in 15 minutes or so, but takes 24 hours to fully cure.

Jim G
You might try a plumbing supply house, like maybe Andrew Sherrett.

JimGnitecki

Hey @JimGnitecki where in Lethbridge are you?
(I'm a former Lethbridge kid, lived on 6th Ave A South till I was six then on an acreage out by the penn till 1979)
We live in South Lethbridge, very close to Costco, Home Depot, The superstore, and the big coulee that runs west across Hwy 5 and continues northward past the University and beyond, all the way past the north end of the city. This city is incredible for its short distances to ANYWHERE in the city, except the west end west of the coulee and river! We put on only roughly 200 km per month getting all our errands and other stuff done!

JimGnitecki

You might try a plumbing supply house, like maybe Andrew Sherrett.
Yes, and a bit more Googling suggests that maybe Fastenal will have some 565. Andrew Sherrett and Fastenal are literally across the street from each other, and only about 6 km from our home. I'll call them tomorrow and ask.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
You do know that pipe fitting are tapered right ? It sounds to me like you are not tightening the fittings enough, couple wraps of Teflon tape and maybe some generic thread sealant, and crank them in

The trick with getting pipe fittings to not leak....tighten them MORE, the taper will seat and seal better

The other thing, are you putting the Teflon tape on in the right direction ? There is a direction (with the threads)

JimGnitecki

You do know that pipe fitting are tapered right ? It sounds to me like you are not tightening the fittings enough, couple wraps of Teflon tape and maybe some generic thread sealant, and crank them in

The trick with getting pipe fittings to not leak....tighten them MORE, the taper will seat and seal better

The other thing, are you putting the Teflon tape on in the right direction ? There is a direction (with the threads)
I was afraid to tighten them TOO much and thus stripping the threads, especially on the expensive regulator. So you are satying i should not be so afraid of overtightening?

Jim G

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I was afraid to tighten them TOO much and thus stripping the threads, especially on the expensive regulator. So you are satying i should not be so afraid of overtightening?

Jim G

The fitting will crush inside the threads, that is how npt threads are designed to work

Now, I'm not saying to double wrench your 1/4" fitting in, but you can definitely crank them in very tight

Take a picture of how far you have the fitting in, my bet is it's not nearly tight enough

JimGnitecki

The fitting will crush inside the threads, that is how npt threads are designed to work

Now, I'm not saying to double wrench your 1/4" fitting in, but you can definitely crank them in very tight
Ok! I will try that if I see or hear any signs of leakage!

By the way, I found a different, better price, and 2-1/2 day delivery for 565 on Amazon.ca - just a betetr offer that did not come up when I searched driectly from Amazon, but did come up on Google! I ordered a 5 ml tube for $28 including tax. :)

Jim G