• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

We're Going to Try Some Banner Ads for Guest (Not Logged In) Users

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You definitely don't have to, existing tiers haven't changed at all, I just created additional tiers, but there is no reason to use any but the originals, except to support the forum.

Yeah, I keep turning them down, every few days. They were now at the minimum level, but I get the sense the scale goes: 1%, 95%, 95%, 95%, 95%, 99%, 100%

Corrected this now.
I spent an afternoon mucking about with the membership levels and internally debating my game plan there, Sorta just got tired of it and hit the ol' big-red "send-it" button.

Ads have been turned off now, all the back and fourth alone is too stressful. lol

Josh thanks for working on this and dealing with the fallout etc. there is no free lunch.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ads have been turned off now, all the back and fourth alone is too stressful. lol

I feel your pain Josh. Thanks for giving it a damn good try.

And thanks for taking the heat without one single complaint. I must say that I was VERY impressed. A lesser man would have bitten back. For a while I was worried that you might. Wish I lived close enough to invite you over for steak and beer.

When the dust settles on the membership's, I'll sign up for more.

@Jwest7788 I think part of the objection to advertisement is the in your face intrusion of visiting the site. As an example that POP UP that covered the whole page during page views, just a complete turn off as it steals precious time and I have to get past it to view the site. For me and I suspect others this is game changer to drive me from a site.

Now a small banner on the page top and bottom, while there does hinder view and experience, and god forbid has an ad that catches my eye I might follow it, but importantly does not intrude on my experience.

Example www.skitalks.com

As to yearly vs monthly, I'll pay yearly for an experience without NO auto renewal. Is a deal breaker because it relies on auto renewal and this can get expensive quickly when fees suddenly change (been there done that ain't doing that again..... EVER!) The second down fall is increased cost (ie banking fees etc) for this service. This in turn drives up the cost (in a lot of cases for both ends, buyer and seller). As the saying goes getting nickle and dimed into the poor house should be avoided.

To be fair I am not anti-ad as there are costs (and liabilities) to the site and should be offset but at the same token careful on what you are doing as it can backfire costing you more than you expect.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Please excuse the delay, I stepped away from the forum for a couple of weeks for a bit of time to clear my head.
You lost me. I'm not seeing a $60/yr option in the Account Upgrades list?
Probably browser caching. Please empty your browser cache and have a quick review. Let me know if anything is out of place.

I feel your pain Josh. Thanks for giving it a damn good try.

And thanks for taking the heat without one single complaint. I must say that I was VERY impressed. A lesser man would have bitten back. For a while I was worried that you might. Wish I lived close enough to invite you over for steak and beer.
Appreciate the kind comments. Have to give things a try, or else we'll never know for sure!
And yeah, I have enough things to worry about without starting a good ol' fashioned flame-war. haha
If you're ever in Calgary, shoot me a note, and we can grab a bite. Equally, if I am headed to any other province, I'll make a point to post it to the forum. Lots of folk to meet! haha

The register for no ads banner is still up....
Yeah, I am going to leave this up for the moment. Even though we've removed the ads themselves, the psychology of the banner makes sense.
(We want registrants anyways.)

Now a small banner on the page top and bottom, while there does hinder view and experience, and god forbid has an ad that catches my eye I might follow it, but importantly does not intrude on my experience.
It's part of what the testing with ads revealed to me. We're in an awkward spot where we're not large enough (not enough website traffic) that a couple of elegantly placed ads actually has a meaningful impact as far as revenue goes.
The whole week with ads net $30, of which almost half came from the first day everyone had to deal with ads.
As I turned the knobs down more and more, we were down to <$0.50 a day, and the usability was still crap.

@Degen, your approach is good for usability, but we're not large/trafficked enough to support it. This was a primary contributor to me pulling the ads completely and is also why I turned my attention back to the membership levels.

To be fair I am not anti-ad as there are costs (and liabilities) to the site and should be offset but at the same token careful on what you are doing as it can backfire costing you more than you expect.
Our group's forum is definitely in an "awkward toddler" phase. We're large enough that the admin/mod team is constantly speaking about incorporation, accounting, insurance, and admin liability, and with more and more issues popping up for items like copyright infringement and user safety specific to the content on the forum; issues which have clear potential for damages to be asserted against the forum.
However, we're small enough that things like subtle banner ads can have a meaningful impact on solving these concerns.

So yeah, not totally sure of our game plan here, but we're just going to keep forging along for now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Please excuse the delay, I stepped away from the forum for a couple of weeks for a bit of time to clear my head.

Probably browser caching. Please empty your browser cache and have a quick review. Let me know if anything is out of place.
1660938937039.png

This is what I'm seeing after clearing my browser cache.....

@Susquatch @David_R8 what do the Account Upgrade options look like to you? Josh tells me they should have reverted to the original options?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It's the first one listed.
View attachment 25641
This forum is volunteer run and donation funded.
If you want to show your support and help keep the forum free from banner ads,
consider an account upgrade of donation to help cover the monthly and annual costs.

One Year | Silver Contribution | One-Time DonateCA$250.00 for 1 year
Purchase

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
This forum is volunteer run and donation funded.
If you want to show your support and help keep the forum free from banner ads,
consider an account upgrade of donation to help cover the monthly and annual costs.

One Year | Silver Contribution | One-Time DonateCA$250.00 for 1 year
Purchase
Did you already buy a one year membership?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'm good to October I believe. I even tried Microsoft Edge which I've never used before on this forum so I had to enter in email and password.

1661012294200.png