• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

We're Going to Try Some Banner Ads for Guest (Not Logged In) Users

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was just looking at the forum not logged in again. There’s just a lot of ads. The ad revenue is appealing but the forum now isn’t….

Agreed. I think @YYCHM is right. It's the popups that would drive me nuts and away.
I pay monthly $5 through pay pal connected to my credit card. It just shows up on my credit card as a line item. Now before people fly off the handle here about companies storing credit card info - I’d rather pay pal have it and then I can pay for stuff without sharing my credit card even more with all kinds of outfits. So for me at least this works. $5 a month to support the forum. Cheap.

I have the same attitude towards PayPal as you do John. I'd much rather share my credit card info with one outfit than 30. But I do wish PayPal was more concerned about security than they are. I did sign up for authentication though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I understand $5 per month is cheap until you have 40 different forums each pulling $5/month. I'm currently trying to lower cable TV bill for the same reason. A channel here, a channel there is a bit extra so why not take this package which gives you those plus lots more except I don't watch all but 3 and 3 is more than the package. It's a never ending rabbit hole.

Man can I ever empathize with that!

But tv is even worse than you relate. I originally signed up for Satelite mostly because they promised a no ads experience. It was worth ever penny at the time. Then the promised no ads started to dissolve. Now there are more ads than programming. If it were up to me, I'd pull the plug. But the wife likes her shows and as long as she is busy watching tv I can play with my machines without fear of getting called out for not doing whatever it is she thinks I SHOULD have been doing.

I now wish I could have free TV with 5 minutes of ads an hour like the old days.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I wonder how YouTube’s numbers have faired it seems that your always reaching for the mouse to shut them off. I’ve cut back on my viewing. The subscribe to avoid ads seems like blackmail to me!

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I wonder how YouTube’s numbers have faired it seems that your always reaching for the mouse to shut them off. I’ve cut back on my viewing. The subscribe to avoid ads seems like blackmail to me!
Careful. Blackmail is a pretty strong term and really not accurate. Any of the web service providers have the right to put on as much advertising as they would like. That's pretty obvious the trend when you surf the web nowadays.

And the advertisers have to decide if that massive amount of ads on web sites is actually effective or if it has a detrimental effect. This forum has the right to put advertising on too. Even for the people who pay unless there is an explicit agreement to not do it for people who pay.

The question is at what point do people change their 'habits' and choose something different. Most of the people I know rarely go on facebook anymore. The original idea that it was a meeting place for friends and acquaintances became monetized with directed advertising targeted based on a click. Likely any 'package' of advertising added to a forum like this will also do the same at some level.

My guess is that this will be with us for a while. After all the movie theaters were allowed to do subliminal advertising until the government moved in and stopped it. So those against government interference would likely have used the old 'saw' the movie goers will decide if they want to go to a theater that has subliminal adverts. But it's no longer allowed thank goodness.

At one point TV programming was only allowed to have so many minutes of advertising per hour. I think that's been allowed to lapse or changed to be the average over a 24 hour period. So from 1AM to 5AM reruns with only promos and no advertising covers extra advertising allowed during prime time. Again the anti-government view is if there's too much advertising people will just move somewhere else. In a lot of ways Netflix and Prime, to mention only a couple are that model. Except now you have to pay to view, the bottom of your smart TV has a row of icons of content providers and unless you block specific IP addresses you also get a pile of advertising when you first switch on the TV. Try it without a network connected to see the difference when you power up. And that's the only way to block that. You can't turn it all off on an LG TV.

That's largely the attitude with network advertising in forums etc. The users will chose. Keep the government out. The cost of running this forum starts with the price list here: https://xenforo.com/ The money has to come from somewhere. The senior users will eventually get tired unless they get some value.

Tecnico

(Dave)
I can afford $60/yr BUT I wouldn't want to achieve that through 12 reoccurring renewals.

What perks/privilege's do the tiers buy you?

I notice that the basic membership is listed as $100/yr on the Account Upgrades page, but I also see discussion about 12 X $5 = $60, which is it?

I too would like to know what advantages, other than supporting the (worthwhile) site, come from becoming a supporting member. I've seen mention that it gives post editing privileges, are there other perks? It'd be nice to see that spelled out.

Thanks for the forum!

D:cool:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
ads don’t seem to hurt Youtube at all.

I suspect users of machinist forums are unlikely to be typical media consumers.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Pretty sure that's an oversight that will get fixed soon!

I don't think it was a oversight.

"
- Some of these are on the expensive side of things, don't be alarmed, I simply wanted to increase the upper limits.
--- No one is going to see any reduction in functionality by sticking with the smaller contribution levels
--- Higher tiers won't benefit from new functionality or anything like that, at this time
--- The higher limit is just to ensure folks who want to can contribute more, and otherwise end the hunt for more revenue, a hunt which leads to stuff like experimentation around ads, etc.
"

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

"
- Some of these are on the expensive side of things, don't be alarmed, I simply wanted to increase the upper limits.
--- No one is going to see any reduction in functionality by sticking with the smaller contribution levels
--- Higher tiers won't benefit from new functionality or anything like that, at this time
--- The higher limit is just to ensure folks who want to can contribute more, and otherwise end the hunt for more revenue, a hunt which leads to stuff like experimentation around ads, etc.
"

Ya, that does read like that doesn't it!

The next couple of months will be an interesting time won't they!

I love to say thank you in meaningful ways, but my wife might object to a donation here that is worth more than what she gets for being the biggest part of my life. :rolleyes:

I'm gunna halfta think this one through very carefully.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Ya, that does read like that doesn't it!

The next couple of months will be an interesting time won't they!

I love to say thank you in meaningful ways, but my wife might object to a donation here that is worth more than what she gets for being the biggest part of my life. :rolleyes:

I'm gunna halfta think this one through very carefully.

I'm all for supporting the forum, but have to remain within my means. Ya, $5X12=$60 BUT I don't want my CC charged 12 times per year, my wife would be constantly complaining about it. 1X$60/yr she can live with.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm all for supporting the forum, but have to remain within my means. Ya, $5X12=$60 BUT I don't want my CC charged 12 times per year, my wife would be constantly complaining about it. 1X$60/yr she can live with.

I'm my case I would rewrite that a bit. My wife will no doubt object to the $60 and attempt to exert highly painful pressure on certain portions of my anatomy, but if that only happens once a year, I can survive. If it happens once a month I won't have a chance to recover and my voice will increase at least an octave.

In other words, I don't want to play that game either.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I don’t think the cruise director is going to give me much grief if my support of this forum goes from $0.16/day to, heavens, maybe $0.27/day. She just signed us up for a $250 pickleball course. I suspect I’ll get much more enjoyment from the forum than from chasing a wiffle ball across a tennis court.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I don’t think the cruise director is going to give me much grief if my support of this forum goes from $0.16/day to, heavens, maybe $0.27/day. She just signed us up for a $250 pickleball course. I suspect I’ll get much more enjoyment from the forum than from chasing a wiffle ball across a tennis court.
Driving around all the time listening to the radio, I learn lots of things I don’t necessarily seek out....such as.....nude pickle ball is increasing in popularity in Florida....:D

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Or how about this. Just read a news blurb that in certain countries BMW charges a monthly subscription to enable the steering wheel and seat heaters. So far not yet in North America but this trend to monthly subscriptions is everywhere. The up side is you don't have to buy an BMWor subscribe to the 100+ other things from people who want your money.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I can afford $60/yr BUT I wouldn't want to achieve that through 12 reoccurring renewals.

What perks/privilege's do the tiers buy you?
You definitely don't have to, existing tiers haven't changed at all, I just created additional tiers, but there is no reason to use any but the originals, except to support the forum.

I was just looking at the forum not logged in again. There’s just a lot of ads. The ad revenue is appealing but the forum now isn’t….
Yeah, I keep turning them down, every few days. They were now at the minimum level, but I get the sense the scale goes: 1%, 95%, 95%, 95%, 95%, 99%, 100%

I notice that the basic membership is listed as $100/yr on the Account Upgrades page, but I also see discussion about 12 X $5 = $60, which is it?
Prior to the change you could purchase a $60/yr membership.
Seems it's even higher now with only monthly at $5 per month and paying a year in advance costs way more.
Corrected this now.
I spent an afternoon mucking about with the membership levels and internally debating my game plan there, Sorta just got tired of it and hit the ol' big-red "send-it" button.

Ads have been turned off now, all the back and fourth alone is too stressful. lol

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You definitely don't have to, existing tiers haven't changed at all, I just created additional tiers, but there is no reason to use any but the originals, except to support the forum.

You lost me. I'm not seeing a $60/yr option in the Account Upgrades list?