• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Want to borrow T-nuts that would fit a Bridgeport Table

Xyphota

Ultra Member
This is going to sound very dumb, but title says it all.

I finally reassembled my new-to-me mill which included a vise and a bunch of hold down accessories, and I just realized that the seller only included one t-nut, so I cant even hold down my Vise.

Now of course purchasing more T-nuts is the sensible solution, but don’t T-nuts seem like the perfect first milling project? Haha.

So I’d like to borrow one or two T-nuts (5/8” Table Slot Width) from a fellow Calgarian, fabricate a handful of them and then return them.

EDIT: Clarity

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

I finally reassembled my new-to-me mill which included a vise and a bunch of hold down accessories, and I just realized that the seller only included one t-nut, so I cant even hold down my Vise.

Now of course purchasing more T-nuts is the sensible solution, but don’t T-nuts seem like the perfect first milling project? Haha.

So I’d like to borrow one or two 5/8” T-nuts from a fellow Calgarian, fabricate a handful of them and then return them.

Is 5/8" the bolt size or what?

For the cost of a set for your vise, get set to start.

You will find that these are actually disposables if you do repeated set ups. So you should make more.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

So I’d like to borrow one or two T-nuts (5/8” Table Slot Width) from a fellow Calgarian, fabricate a handful of them and then return them.

EDIT: Clarity

Doesn't sound dumb at all.

I'd just go buy a clamp set which will include the nuts and also get you a few extra T nuts. Yes, they are a great project but after buying stock, machining, drilling, tapping, and blackening, they are hardly worth the effort vs buying. There are many MUCH more rewarding projects waiting for you.....

In the meantime, @RobinHood's solution will certainly get you going and come in handy down the road too. It's also an important trick to have in your magic box.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Doesn't sound dumb at all.

I'd just go buy a clamp set which will include the nuts and also get you a few extra T nuts. Yes, they are a great project but after buying stock, machining, drilling, tapping, and blackening, they are hardly worth the effort vs buying. There are many MUCH more rewarding projects waiting for you.....

In the meantime, @RobinHood's solution will certainly get you going and come in handy down the road too. It's also an important trick to have in your magic box.
Unfortunately I received an entire clamp set but the T-nuts were missing haha!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The busy bee nuts are less costly but if you have prime, these might be better after shipping.

5Pcs T Slot Nuts Black Oxide Finish T Track Sliding Blocks (M10) https://a.co/d/3YHCJfT

Edit - no idea why the description says M10. Might need to be careful.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

At first I wondered why you posted a link to another thread called "RF30 Basement Install". But one look at the first screen sure answered that question.

That ought to give @Xyphota a bit of cause to reflect on his plans.....

I agree with @Dabbler 's post there. A good center finder would help.

But I have found that an edge finder and a DRO are even better! They have opened the door to a whole new world for me.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
At first I wondered why you posted a link to another thread called "RF30 Basement Install". But one look at the first screen sure answered that question.

That ought to give @Xyphota a bit of cause to reflect on his plans.....

I agree with @Dabbler 's post there. A good center finder would help.

But I have found that an edge finder and a DRO are even better! They have opened the door to a whole new world for me.

Ya, LOL... I do much better now that I have an edge finder and 3-Axis DRO. That attempt was a scribe and center punch attempt that went sideways.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Xyphota What part of the city are you in? I have T-Nuts that should work for you if you really want to borrow some. I'm in the NE.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I almost hate to say this, but I'm also chuckling a fair bit right now. I think all of us have been there at one point or another.

"No way in hell am I showing this project of mine to my wife".....

Think fast. How can I pretend I did this on purpose. Surely off-set nuts would be good for something! I need to put these in a special box, label them offset nuts, and drag them out to brag about them sometimes.....

Too funny. I'd offer to show you some of my nuts sometime but I don't want to give @140mower any more excuses for snide remarks than I already have.....

Thanks for sharing Craig. You are a cool dude!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just be aware that some of these offshore solutions may not be appropriate for your particular T slot. I have seen variations to the nominal size in all dimensions. The one to watch out for is undersize shoulder (red area) because it puts more stress on your T-slot web when tightening. And yes, cast iron can crack. There are pictures on the interweb related to this (unrelated to gronking). Figure out what your dimensions should be & then at least you can compare. Maybe link below will help or just Google 'mill table T nut dimensions'

I suspect some offshores are intended for metric machines & they 'inch-a-tize the dimensions or threads for marketing. Others may be intended for imperial machines & just poorly made. Teco is a good brand but they are spendy. I've made my own out of plain steel & they are perfectly fine. Another thing is there ideally should be some kind of thread stop (typically a chiseled stamp) so you don't thread past the nut, into your table & risk similar stress issues.

Attachments

• EDT-2022-08-07 12.51.23 PM.jpg
    EDT-2022-08-07 12.51.23 PM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1