• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Vise Clamps

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I guess mill down the 5/8 parts to fit the groove.

I suppose That would certainly work.

Just goes against my grain to modify a universal tool like that. Then again, the clamp pieces are sold separately and are quite inexpensive.

It would certainly get me going quickly and then I could make proper Clamps later.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
BTW........ The only slight disadvantage with prismatic jaws like ours is you have to be a bit more creative with a top (jaw) mount stop. The Kurt style rectangular jaws are much easier in this regard. But I can show you mine if you want ideas

Looks beautiful.

I am really sorry though on two counts...... Frankly, I feel kinda dumb.

I have no idea what "prismatic Jaws" means nor whether that is good or bad.

And I don't know what a top jaw mount stop is either let alone what that is for.

I have so much to learn.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks beautiful.

I am really sorry though on two counts...... Frankly, I feel kinda dumb.

I have no idea what "prismatic Jaws" means nor whether that is good or bad.

And I don't know what a top jaw mount stop is either let alone what that is for.

I have so much to learn.

OK, cancel the question on the stop. I found several references to them on line. They are used to facilitate indexing parts for repeat operations on identical parts. I can see that being useful. Perhaps even on my vice Clamps! By all means, let me know how you did it!

Still no idea what prismatic Jaws are though.......

Chip Maker

Super User
The jaws on your vise are spring loaded and when the vise is tightened they pull down so the work piece is pulled down as well keeping it tight against parallels for example.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Prismatic = just a fancy word for angled back vs the Kurt style is rectangular.

Attachments

• EDT-2021-07-30 9.27.29 AM.jpg
    EDT-2021-07-30 9.27.29 AM.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 8

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The jaws on your vise are spring loaded and when the vise is tightened they pull down so the work piece is pulled down as well keeping it tight against parallels for example.

I see said the blind man!

I saw the springs when I took it apart. But it had been torqued right down with no spring action left. So I didn't realize that they are supposed to be a bit loose!

Another piece of knowledge.

I should probably try to get new Jaws for the GS.

The top edge is deformed. See photo.

20210730_140846.jpg

What isn't obvious in the photo is the deformation is kitty corner. Front right edge, and rear left edge.

At first I thought something had been snagged so hard that it bent the edges. But on closer inspection, it turns out that the rest of the edge has been machined off.

I'll prolly machine everything flat, but it may be that new Jaws are in order......

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The finest grade of shipping box cardboard! LoL. Once they get ratty I will probably make some out of 1/8 or 1/4 masonite (hardboard).

TableCovers.JPG

Done..... I glued a wood rib that fit the T-Slot down the center to hold them in place. The question is.... If I paint them will they warp? Plastic panel would be a better choice, I guess.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Done..... I glued a wood rib that fit the T-Slot down the center to hold them in place. The question is.... If I paint them will they warp?

Great idea to add the rib.

I would think you could seal the cardboard (both sides) with a light fine spray a little at a time until it won't soak up paint anymore.

Perhaps two ribs (front & back) would stiffen the cardboard enough to take paint too.

In my opinion though, there is nothing wrong with the naked look of that exotic custom cardboard.....

Ps - your vise is humunganosso!!!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It doesn't take long for oil & chips & tools to grot up the cardboard. It was never really intended to be a long term solution. It started out as a template to test & eventually cut MDF or hardboard one day but I'm just lazy (and I have a lot of cardboard!). My clamps require notches which is not as clean as just a single lug. I also like to have the table end pockets exposed although my newest habit is using small plastic trays to keep the job drills & taps & whatever all in one spot, so maybe just cover the whole table. Not quite sure what you meant by ribs but if you mean like a wood key glued on the underside that engaged the T-slot, that would help the wood from warping & also keep it positioned. I've also seen some nice covers made from of rubbery sheet, like 1/4" neoprene or similar. That might be nice too although I suspect sharp swarf might stick in there.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
It doesn't take long for oil & chips & tools to grot up the cardboard. It was never really intended to be a long term solution. It started out as a template to test & eventually cut MDF or hardboard one day but I'm just lazy (and I have a lot of cardboard!). My clamps require notches which is not as clean as just a single lug. I also like to have the table end pockets exposed although my newest habit is using small plastic trays to keep the job drills & taps & whatever all in one spot, so maybe just cover the whole table. Not quite sure what you meant by ribs but if you mean like a wood key glued on the underside that engaged the T-slot, that would help the wood from warping & also keep it positioned. I've also seen some nice covers made from of rubbery sheet, like 1/4" neoprene or similar. That might be nice too although I suspect sharp swarf might stick in there.

LOL.... I'll start a new thread..... Back to Vise Clamps.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya.... I think it's a little over kill as well:p

Have you seen this....

View attachment 16381

Another over kill purchase LOL.....:p

I LOVE IT!!!! I could have used one of those a million times. In fact I could use that right now making a motor adapter for my Hartford. That adapter may be the death of me....

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Anybody know where to get decent Clamps for a vice like this.
?

the old question, which came first, the mill vise or mill vise clamps. you could use strap clamps while you mill some clamps.

That looks like Garadi.....if it is, wanna trade for a Kurt? :) Nice vise

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
the old question, which came first, the mill vise or mill vise clamps. you could use strap clamps while you mill some clamps.

That looks like Garadi.....if it is, wanna trade for a Kurt? :) Nice vise

It is. The real deal, not a knock off. Took me ages to figure that out. If I posted it earlier you could have saved me a crapload of work.

Any chance you know which model? I'd either like to get new Jaws for it or mill the existing ones flat.

It has two defects. There is a big milling notch in the side of the ram. How somebody did that without noticing is beyond me.

One side of the top flange of the Jaws has also been milled off - See photo of Jaws earlier in this thread.

Last but not least, I assume there is an adjustment procedure for the jaw springs. Do you (or anyone else) have suggestions?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've found and visited both web sites. Neither one shows my model. The base on mine is 13.5" long, the Jaws are 5" Wide, and the screw is M18-4 (which makes it a type 2 - whatever that means). I've not seen any Jaws that look like mine with a top lip. I suppose the lip could be the result of a sleeping operator and a mill gone wild. But what is left of it looks too perfect to be an accident.......

Anyway, originally I wanted clamps and jaws for it. Right now I'll settle for jaws and even that might die if they cost too much.