Vactra

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was having enough messy fun that I took a few more pics:

Clearly Donna wasn't home during all these experiments....

I use Stihl oil too. But I only have summer and winter oil. No medium.

I never buy the summer oil, when it's that hot, my saw stays in the shed..... I only use the light on the lathe and stick with medium in the saw year round. If it's too cold for medium, it's too cold for me. :rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I never buy the summer oil, when it's that hot, my saw stays in the shed..... I only use the light on the lathe and stick with medium in the saw year round. If it's too cold for medium, it's too cold for me. :rolleyes:
I farm spring and fall. So I have to cut wood in the summer and winter. But winters here are pretty mild. Prolly why I use so much oil.

Winter is my time for firewood as well. We are also fortunate to have a mild climate with very little annual precipitation, but it is just too dry for me to run the risk of fire by cutting in the summer. About -4c is the sweet spot for me running the saw, but it can be as cold as -15 to -20 or so if the wind is calm when it comes time to split it. I still enjoy the time spent with a splitting maul and have resisted the urge to build a log splitter. Splitting wood is a peaceful way to spend some time, and as long as you are at it everyone stays away out of fear they may have to help. A real win win situation. ;)