Vactra

Ironman

Ultra Member
In my area NAPA has Vactra #2 on at $176 for a 5 gallon bucket. Is there anyplace that sells Vactra or it's way oil equivalent by the gallon?
I don't need to go swimming in it, only have one lathe

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In my area NAPA has Vactra #2 on at $176 for a 5 gallon bucket. Is there anyplace that sells Vactra or it's way oil equivalent by the gallon?
I don't need to go swimming in it, only have one lathe

I wish I had bought 5 gallons way back when. I wouldn't be looking for more way oil today if I did. But I didn't, so I'm watching replies to your thread with interest.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
With the cost of consumable like this being cheaper in bulk, and a bunch of us with the same needs and machines, we should band together and get some bulk buys going within our regions and have a meetup to divide the bounty. Things like coolant, oils/waylube, and tapping fluids etc would be a great reason to have a get together every once in a while.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Not really a group buy but I split a 5 gallon bucket with my neighbour a couple of years ago. Might be a bit tricky logistics wise if your out in the country.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I bought a 5 gallon pail of way oil from Boss Lubricants several years ago for around $60-$80. No idea what they charge now, but it might be another option to check with.

Thanks Lee, I like to keep it local. I've looked at the site and not sure what they call it, you have a part #?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
KBC tools sells one gallon
That's what I use & a big factor at the time was 1 gal was about the minimum volume I could find anywhere. That will last till I croak. They sell the whole viscosity range so that's convenient too. I like it but I'm not unconvinced it ever so slowly stains beds a tan brown over the long term. Maybe they all do, that I'm not sure. Its still a mystery to be & I haven't ruled out certain cutting fluids although I cant seem to replicate on scrap metal & puddles my oils & swarf.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
The Boss lubricants way oil I bought is called WAYLUBE 68 (30820-20L) and it was $73 back in 2018 for a 20 litre pail.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My understanding is that chain saw bar oil, which is designed to reduce sliding friction, is suitable way oil. Discuss. :)

You invited discussion. I like that. Here is my take.

An oils ability to reduce friction is an important goal for Way Oil too. But it isn't the only one. Another important goal is "stickiness". Way Oil is deliberately formulated to contain "stickers" that function to keep the ways oiled during use without having to constantly add more oil. Typically, ways are oiled before a machining session and then again afterward.

Chainsaw bar oil is added continuously during operation. Therefore it is highly doubtful that it contains any sticker. It simply isn't needed.

FWIW, I believe that this sticky character is the primary defining parameter that distinguishes way oil from other oils.

I have to say that any oil is better than no oil. If all I had was bar oil, I'd use it. But I'd definitely go WAAAAY out of my WAAAAY to get purpose formulated WAAAAY oil instead.

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Bar oils do actually contain tackifiers. It's one of the reasons why they're the closest substitutes for way lube. While at some level there is probably a difference with a few other additives, In the wide world of lubricants they're much closer to each other than they are apart.

I'm also a believer in any oil is better than no oil. But guys that don't believe in running bar oil, and just use any oil, or used motor oil in their saws because it's just a "waste oil" will see accelerated wear of chains and bars. It just flings off and doesn't stick around like a bar oil would.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Bar oils do actually contain tackifiers. It's one of the reasons why they're the closest substitutes for way lube. While at some level there is probably a difference with a few other additives, In the wide world of lubricants they're much closer to each other than they are apart.

I'm also a believer in any oil is better than no oil. But guys that don't believe in running bar oil, and just use any oil, or used motor oil in their saws because it's just a "waste oil" will see accelerated wear of chains and bars. It just flings off and doesn't stick around like a bar oil would.

I confess that I am shocked.

So much so that I researched your claim and found lots of info to support it.

I didn't find anything to suggest that bar oil was close to or even related to way oil. Just the same, I'd have to accept that they are more alike than different unless someone has info to the contrary.

The reason I am shocked is as follows. With NO EXCEPTIONS, ALL of my current and past chainsaws throw enough oil as to totally overwhelm any need to worry about slinging it. Oil does not accumulate. It flies off in thin streams or mist that goes everywhere. Whatever gets added gets thrown off. The volume is such that I go through two or three 4L jugs of it a year. I always have to add oil when I am out cutting wood. There is so much oil that I often think about figuring out a way to slow it down.

My current saws include an industrial Husky and two 20V Dewalts. I have owned a dozen others in the past including Jonsored, Stihl, & McGarbage. They all piss oil at a rate that I couldn't imagine a sticker adding any value at all.

That's totally different from a lathe or a mill or a surface grinder where the oil has to stay there for a whole working session.

So ya, I'm shocked. Nonetheless, what you say appears to be true. I'm at a total loss to understand why though.

I smell a 50 mile rabbit hole.

Edit - I keep summer and winter bar oil here and use them appropriately.

Saws do sling it pretty good, but when you consider the chain speed along the bar, compared to the rate of travel of the carriage of a lathe, the need for tackifiers becomes a little more obvious. The oil has a pretty difficult job staying down in the guide in a sea of sawdust and chips...... If anything, I think chain oil might be just a little bit too sticky...... But, I use it anyway.