• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Two standard Modern Lathes - $1300 - Lindsay, On

Check here:

I had a tooth missing also

I concur, if the gear is the back gear and expendable then I'd ditch it and go the VFD route. I'm a die hard convert to 3 phase variable speed via VFD

I wonder about the loading on the gear path not necessarily designed for the lower speed/possibly higher torque that would come from the ops that would use the spindle speed that would result.

That and since the feed rates are tied to spindle to feed screw ratios you’d lose some of the lower feeds.

Not saying that it’s not a valid work around for a bad gear and of course there are those who will propose an ELS to get around that. ;)

As others have said there are examples out there (YouTube etc.) showing how to fix broken gears. Who knows, the latest incarnation of SM might use the same gear on a current machine, why wouldn’t they reach into the parts bin rather than design something new. Doesn’t cost to ask and the parts office in the states is friendly and happy to talk to owners.

D :cool:

Check here:

I had a tooth missing also
Thanks Brent, perfect Saturday morning reading, it's unfortunate that most of the photos are now gone.
You wouldn't happen to have a spare tail stock would you?
Did you ever finish the manual you mentioned in the first post of your thread?

I wonder about the loading on the gear path not necessarily designed for the lower speed/possibly higher torque that would come from the ops that would use the spindle speed that would result.

That and since the feed rates are tied to spindle to feed screw ratios you’d lose some of the lower feeds.

Not saying that it’s not a valid work around for a bad gear and of course there are those who will propose an ELS to get around that. ;)

As others have said there are examples out there (YouTube etc.) showing how to fix broken gears. Who knows, the latest incarnation of SM might use the same gear on a current machine, why wouldn’t they reach into the parts bin rather than design something new. Doesn’t cost to ask and the parts office in the states is friendly and happy to talk to owners.

With a modest motor selection I'm sure that the machine is robust enough to handle the change.

I'm not familiar with the SM gear train arrangement, so I dont know how the feeds are powered when the machine is in the back gear. This may or may not be a problem based on the intended usage of the lathe and would yes need to be carefully assessed by the owner. I just point out that it may be an easier and more preferable solution to some users who cant find replacement gear or a good fix.

Of course, I'd put a variable speed and vfd on a lathe that had the back gear too, so I'd first check with Racer Machine to see if they have that gear in stock

@skippyelwell pm me your email and I will send you a bunch of information and pictures.

IMG_2899.png
So the Bull gear, if missing the tooth, will add a “click” sound as the lathe runs. The tooth or teeth missing is indication that someone tried to change gears while the lathe was running or crashed the thing. You “might” be all right riding without it - I chose to fix mine as the click was annoying and, well, it was a challenge.

Now, making the gear new, is quite possible. I think it is cast iron but could be made of steel. The gear has 2 pins that engage the Shifting gear (23) and these could be re-used.

I have made several gears for this lathe and it worked out great.

Tailstock - alas no, it is not an impossible build/rebuild. I made new spindles for my one lathe and one for @YYCHM. Is your tailstock missing or just in need of some extra work?

When I was looking for a gear for my SM9 a few years ago, LeBlonde is the parts supplier for older SM lathes. They said they don't have parts but are more than happy to make anything needed,,,,$$$$$.

When I was looking for info Racer wasn’t much help but the support gent at Leblond was happy to look up the info and chat about the lathes.

They cleared out a bunch of old part stock but still keep some parts that have some turnover.

Back