• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Trent KS Vancouver

Trent ks

Hello, I am a multidisciplinary artist based out of Vancouver. I have been blacksmithing and welding since 2010. I had the chance to use a metal lathe at my school in Montreal and since then I have wanted to acquire one of my own, as well as a mill. I have no friends who have experience with either of these machines, and so I have decided to join this forum in hopes of finding out where I may begin. Mostly my interests will be focused on building machines in order to make art or make machines which are themselves a work of art. My grandfather was a machinist and I acquired many of his old tools after my grandmother passed away, mostly old calipers and some analog measuring tools. This has also persuaded me as well to follow partially in his footsteps, thank you for reading!

You can check out some of my work if you are interested.
www.trentks.tumblr.com

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Hi Trent
Pretty impressive bunch of projects.
Just wondering if you've checked out the various maker spaces in Van. You'll likely find people with similar interest and of course some of the spaces will have lathes and mills.
Cheers
John

Trent ks

Hi John,

Thank you, I used to be a member at communitylab in Vancouver, they have since changed locations and I have yet to visit the new space. They had a small lathe but that's sort of where the precision machining tools ended, and it wasn't exactly open to be used by everyone. I liked that space but most of the time it was empty or in use by wood workers.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some seriously artistic stuff there Trent. Very cool & diverse range of mediums. Just curious on your knives & blades & such - are you buying tool steel or repurposing other materials? How about heat treating - your own oven & quenching setup? Or do you send that out or have other resources?

Trent ks

Some seriously artistic stuff there Trent. Very cool & diverse range of mediums. Just curious on your knives & blades & such - are you buying tool steel or repurposing other materials? How about heat treating - your own oven & quenching setup? Or do you send that out or have other resources?
Thanks Peter, I would like to narrow my focus a bit, I feel all over the map sometimes! Some are made with O1 I bought and others are made from old files. I have been using the simple non magnetic oil quench and house oven tempering method. Sort of crude, I did a lot of experimenting to find what works. So far my blades hold an edge under normal use. It would be nice to have more precise control and try out some different alloys in the future!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hello, I am a multidisciplinary artist based out of Vancouver. I have been blacksmithing and welding since 2010. I had the chance to use a metal lathe at my school in Montreal and since then I have wanted to acquire one of my own, as well as a mill. I have no friends who have experience with either of these machines, and so I have decided to join this forum in hopes of finding out where I may begin. Mostly my interests will be focused on building machines in order to make art or make machines which are themselves a work of art. My grandfather was a machinist and I acquired many of his old tools after my grandmother passed away, mostly old calipers and some analog measuring tools. This has also persuaded me as well to follow partially in his footsteps, thank you for reading!

You can check out some of my work if you are interested.
www.trentks.tumblr.com
Wow. You're very very talented Trent. I am so impressed. Beautiful work. Stunning in fact. We're lucky to have you on the forum.

Greetings from Calgary.

Trent ks

Wow. You're very very talented Trent. I am so impressed. Beautiful work. Stunning in fact. We're lucky to have you on the forum.

Greetings from Calgary.
Thanks! I have family in Calgary and get out there now and then. Are there any workshops or gatherings of people from this forum?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Yup, formal and informal...even some BBQs thinly disguised as forum meetups. Josh (Jwest7788) has his thumb on the pulse here, so make friends with him. Both cattle and metal is sacrificed in the process.

Trent ks

Yup, formal and informal...even some BBQs thinly disguised as forum meetups. Josh (Jwest7788) has his thumb on the pulse here, so make friends with him. Both cattle and metal is sacrificed in the process.
Great! I'll keep an ear open!