Tools you waited too long to acquire

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I've wanted to stumble across a dirt cheap dual scale vernier for the same reason. Not a huge fan of dials, even though I have, and use a couple. But it would be nice to have an off grid caliper that reads both. I'd just prefer very nears for that.
I've had these now for about 6 months. I use them *all* the time. They have replaced everything except the vernier micrometers when I need it really close. https://www.amazon.ca/Fowler-52-058-016-Stainless-Adjustment-Graduation/dp/B000KL2NMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My first caliper was a Canadian Tire vernier. And then 6" Starrett dial, and an 8" Mitutoyo dial. I hate dial calipers!! Crude always get in the gear train, and then it skips giving you incorrect readings and then you have to reset the zero to a different rotational position, or take it apart and try to put it right. Give me a vernier instead any day, (and at 60, a strong set of reading glasses or magnifiers!)

But I now use the Mitutoyo Absolute AOS Digimatic. I decided to get the 4" and let me tell you, I love that size! I do a lot of small stuff and trying to wield a 6" in the confines of the mill or lathe is trying at times. Also, the tail? is a round rod, instead of rectangular, so it can get into smaller holes.

I use this everday. Sometimes I leave it on overnight by accident. The battery has easily lasted 2 years.

Attachments

• 20240111_123747.jpg
    20240111_123747.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240111_125252.jpg
    20240111_125252.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 5

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’ve had the bottom vernier one for a couple dozen years and never had to replace a battery.

Too funny!

I love Vernier Calipers too. I keep one on my range box and one on the tray top of my lathe head in the shop.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've had these now for about 6 months. I use them *all* the time
The fine adjustment thumb control looks awesome on your Fowler callipers. I’d really like to find that nice feature on electronic callipers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Sorry probably the wrong description.
Like this:
View attachment 42791

Yes. That's a dial caliper. It has no Vernier scale on it. That's what threw me off.

My vision is busy divorcing me, but I still love Vernier scales. They are a brilliant way to improve resolution. I fear that the day I can't use them anymore is fast approaching.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Accuracy - others slightly more expensive ones are usually +/- 0.001, but most often I’m concerned about relative measurements not absolute.
The compact size is very nice.

I have zero experience with carbon fiber, but the 0.004 is a red flag to me. I can't imagine why they can't do 0.001 in this day and age. It's refreshing to see that kind of honesty, but it's almost like "I'm here to rob you."

I bet we can do better.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I may just pull the trigger on these:

Accusize is not the least expensive - but in this case they are close (others can be found in the $20 range, these Accusize callipers are $36 less a 10% coupon)

PS - these and some others have auto shut off. I couldn’t find any 4” with the fractions option
I have the same in a left hand version of this and I like it Edit The numbers are bigger than the Mitutoyo.. mostly I like using the left hand on the lathe so I don't have to reach over the bed when measuring something in the chuck. The accuracy is not as good as the Mitutoyo shown in post #347 which is my main measuring tool and the one I look for first when doing a project.

Last edited:

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I wish I’d done this modification years ago:
IMG_9107.jpeg

They’re ”keyed” into the moulding of the drill and I attach them as needed with tape.

Don’t use garbage duct tape, the heat from the drill makes it a bugger to remove…

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
It hurt to buy these Mitutoyo Coolant Proof Calipers, but boy are they nice:
View attachment 42857

View attachment 42858
The Coolant Proof model can be a real ‘plus’ if you are using steady coolant flow.
but,
I-Gaging Digital caliper (photo below) has large display, Metric & Imperial and automatic shut-off. This 6” (150mm) unit was a steal at C$23.00.

These calipers should be used where there is accuracy +- 0.002.
(At least that was Ex-Cell-O Inspection guidelines in the 1980s)
Tighter tolerances demanded gage blocks and an dial indicator on a surface plate.

Accuracy is more a demand of what the customers want and the mating part that it fits with.

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpeg
    IMG_0253.jpeg
    537.2 KB · Views: 3