• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Tools you acquired that are useless

Tool

cjmac

A few years back I decided to treat myself to a cordless grease gun. Being as the only grease guns I had that were worth owning were Lincoln's, I figured that was the way to go..... Biggest tool disappointment ever, charge the batteries on a Friday and by the time I would go to use it on Monday, the damn battery would be dead, even if it was still in the charger. So, I would charge and grease as quick as possible and still I could only get one greasing out of a charge. Not too long into ownership the grease whip buggered up and wouldn't pass grease anymore. Yup, proprietary fitting on the gun end of the hose...... Was just chucking up a piece of metal to make an adapter when a buddy stopped by, after chatting for a while he mentioned that he wanted to buy one of those one day if they came on sale..... Needless to say, I took the metal back out of the chuck, closed up the case and said "Merry Christmas" even though it was July.......
A few years later I got brave again and bought a Milwaukee grease gun, that has been worth every penny......
I have a Milwaukee grease gun (18V). I'm pretty happy with it. Wish the tubes of grease lasted longer.

Chris

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I use my dremel rotary tool all the time. I've never understood the hatred towards them.
Now that I have a “proper” electric die grinder, I doubt I’ll use my dremel unless I can’t fit it into a space and I need to downgrade to the baby dremel.
( link to the die grinder: (Makita GD801C) )

Of course I bought the die grinder because I was trying to grind down welds with the Dremel, which was very unkind of me. I bought some cheap abrasive bits, much cheaper than the ones you get from Dremel- only problem was that if you heated them up too much the abrasive fell off the shaft…

No explanation needed.
Reminds me of a joke:
A newly married fellow was talking to a friend about marriage and his friend mentioned the three rings of marriage “First comes the engagement ring, then then wedding ring” And the final ring? “Well, thats the suffering”

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
A drywall sanding block with dust collection fitting.

The vacuum does a magnificent job of sucking the sanding block down so that it’s difficult to sand.

It does cut down on the dust though, it has a similar effectiveness as leaving the sandpaper in the drawer.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Now that I have a “proper” electric die grinder, I doubt I’ll use my dremel unless I can’t fit it into a space and I need to downgrade to the baby dremel.
( link to the die grinder: (Makita GD801C) )

Of course I bought the die grinder because I was trying to grind down welds with the Dremel, which was very unkind of me. I bought some cheap abrasive bits, much cheaper than the ones you get from Dremel- only problem was that if you heated them up too much the abrasive fell off the shaft…

Reminds me of a joke:
A newly married fellow was talking to a friend about marriage and his friend mentioned the three rings of marriage “First comes the engagement ring, then then wedding ring” And the final ring? “Well, thats the suffering”
I have a mastercraft corded 1/4" die grinder, and my new m18 one, but still, different tools for different purposes than a dremel. The mastercraft will probably get passed on now...... The dremel will stay. I can't wait to do some carving with the M18. It's quite a bit better than the mastercraft......

Ironman

Ultra Member
Sounds like it's time for a Milwaukee....
It's always time for a Milwaukee.:) Tools that work. Just bought their electric chain saw and all I can say is Wow.
As for grease guns I was laughing because I have seen so much of the failed squirters in the local dump. I leave them there.
I bought a Lincoln air grease gun and for greasing the front end loader and the excavator, this does shine and my hands are happy

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought a Lincoln air grease gun and for greasing the front end loader and the excavator, this does shine and my hands are happy

Won't work on the farm. Too much stuff is WAAAY too far from air. It's either a hand gun or a rechargeable. I'm using a hand gun right now but would love a rechargeable one. If it has to be a Milwaukee so-be-it, but I really don't want yet another standard in my shop.

My current battery tools are Milwaukee M12, Makita 18, and Dewalt 20. The Makita stuff might get donated one day soon.

I love all my Dewalt stuff but the grease gun. One of these days I'm going to re-design the pressure release.

I feel the same way as you do about my Dewalt 20V Chainsaw. I have a big industrial Husky but it hardly ever gets used now that I have the Dewalt. That Dewalt chain saw was a game changer.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The Makita stuff might get donated one day soon.

If you've got anything I don't have (18V) I might be interested. Love the battery stuff and am heavily invested in Makita. I was probably the last guy to get a cordless drill, but loved it so much I've been on a Makita rampage. These long lasting battery powered tools are the best thing to happen to tools in decades.

Useless tools? Not too much, maybe tap extractors. Wall stud finders (last three houses have been plaster and lath, too thick), I avoid cheap gimmicky crap, figure out what the pros use then find it used so I can afford it. Corded and battery die grinders? Too much vibration vs a something like a foredom (even bought a Metabo, everyone said it was the best, ended up returning it, brutal vibration, in my opinion).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you've got anything I don't have (18V) I might be interested.

I'll make a list for you. The only ones I still use are the two leaf blowers, a small 3/8 impact driver, and a big saz-all that has been to hell and back cuz I use it to cut field tile in the mud. What I like least about the Makita stuff is the batteries. I have 4 of them that don't work anymore and a 5th that is close to quitting. I had planned to replace the cells inside them but apparently they have a chip in them that monitors usage and stops them from working at some point.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
You can buy new nanny chips for a couple bucks a piece. I looked into it for a few of my aging Makita packs, but grew wary about rebuilding them over fire concerns with counterfeit cells. Seems like they've all 2x jacked the price of batteries over the last few years knowing the got us.

I'm also heavily invested in the Makita, and love them, but Milwaukee m12, and m18 tools have recently made their way into the shop and I'm not kicking them out....

Ironman

Ultra Member
Won't work on the farm. Too much stuff is WAAAY too far from air. It's either a hand gun or a rechargeable. I'm using a hand gun right now but would love a rechargeable one. If it has to be a Milwaukee so-be-it, but I really don't want yet another standard in my shop.

My current battery tools are Milwaukee M12, Makita 18, and Dewalt 20. The Makita stuff might get donated one day soon.

I love all my Dewalt stuff but the grease gun. One of these days I'm going to re-design the pressure release.

I feel the same way as you do about my Dewalt 20V Chainsaw. I have a big industrial Husky but it hardly ever gets used now that I have the Dewalt. That Dewalt chain saw was a game changer.
On fleabay there is a vendor selling adapters You can put a Milwaukee battery on any tool you have. All my Dewalt stuff burned up except a skilsaw and I put a Milwaukee battery on it. Then I was dump shopping and I spotted a Dewalt 1/2" drill someone had returned. So I brought it home and clipped on the M18 battery and it works well. I'll wait for a viable battery to come by and then gift the Dewalt.
Your M12 charger should have a slot in it for the M18s, mine do.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You can buy new nanny chips for a couple bucks a piece. I looked into it for a few of my aging Makita packs, but grew wary about rebuilding them over fire concerns with counterfeit cells.

Nanny Chips? What a weird name for them.

Ya, lithium is always a concern. Maybe I should be glad I never found the chip or the replacement cells.

Prolly my best bet is to donate what I don't use and go buy some new Makita brand batteries for the tools I still use.

I think I have already said on the forum how much I really like the little M12 Milwaukee tools. They are no powerhouse but they are sooooo handy it borders on insane. A pair of them is almost a must working on anything with lots of screws. Put a drilling countersink in one tool, and a driver bit in the other and go. Over the years I have bought a pair of them for all 4 of my kids and I'll be starting on the grand kids soon enough.

Screenshot_20231217_090951_Chrome.jpg

They can prolly be had even cheaper or on sale elsewhere, but even if not IMHO, they are worth the price here.

Ironman

Ultra Member
FWIW, Milwaukee rules their price with an iron fist. I was in Yellowknife NWT, and was surprised at the Milwaukee pricing, as it was the same as KMS in Edmonton. He told me that Milwaukee sets the price and if you deviate more than 10% up or down, they will take away the dealership.
He said when there is a sale in Edmonton, there is a sale in YK.
We have a Milwalkee service center here for western canada, and I came to realize they never charge more than 90 bucks. When I was setting up a scale on the knee of my mill, I left the MW 1/2 drill on the table. I was watching under the table as I was raising the knee, and I heard a crunching sound. I looked up and I had crushed my 1/2 inch drill against the spindle. The only thing not damaged was the gearbox in the nose and the battery.
All new housing, new electronics, new armature, and the total was $90! Then when I brought it in for a new chuck the guy was groveling and apologizing, and I said what's wrong? He said the chuck is over 5 yrs old, off warrantee and I got to charge $35. I just laughed. Do it.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On fleabay there is a vendor selling adapters You can put a Milwaukee battery on any tool you have. All my Dewalt stuff burned up except a skilsaw and I put a Milwaukee battery on it. Then I was dump shopping and I spotted a Dewalt 1/2" drill someone had returned. So I brought it home and clipped on the M18 battery and it works well. I'll wait for a viable battery to come by and then gift the Dewalt.

Both of my m12 chargers are the old style. No slot for the m18s.

Edit - Apparently I LIED! I have a third charger that will charge M12, N14, and N18 batteries! So all I need is the grease gun and two batteries!

But I confess I have seen the ones that will charge both. As of today, the only Milwaukee 18V tool I would consider is their grease gun and then only because you guys speak so highly of it. I am quite happy with all my other 20V Dewalt tools and see no reason to replace them.

If I did get the Grease Gun, I'd have to get 2 batteries and a charger. I'd prolly try to make sure the charger did 12V too.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
It seems that "Dremel" is the most common name here, however in the gunsmith trade the most common name is the "ohhhh $hit" tool...until you learn to use them with proficiency, Fuc ups can be small "touch-ups" in nature or extreme total refinishes. I use them a lot for gun spring mods & shortening. I can easily shorten a coil spring by 1/4 coil if need be.
I have wore out at least 3 or 4 over the years and currently have 3 different brands in use now. I can honestly say that I have noticed no difference in longevity of life between the much more expensive Dremels or the less expensive hardware off-shore brands, same goes for the cutting tools, those off shore 250 piece kits for $29 will last as long as the $5 apiece tooling branded Dremel.
If I can hand down one recommendation to good Dremel usage on expensive items....practice practice and then practice again, then when you are ready, double the cutter speed more than you thought you needed...higher speed will be actually more controlable and grab and jump less then too slow.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I can hand down one recommendation to good Dremel usage on expensive items....practice practice and then practice again, then when you are ready, double the cutter speed more than you thought you needed...higher speed will be actually more controlable and grab and jump less then too slow.

If I could add to that.....

And hold it like somebody was gunna try to steal one of your body parts. No limp grips on that tool allowed!

cjmac

Actually you can buy adapters for the M18 batteries on Amazon. I just got a couple, and some E26 base LED bulbs that run on 12-36v. I plan to put them in the shed I am building. It is too far from power to be cost effective to run wires. Plan is to have the M18 adapter on the wall just inside the door. Stick in a battery and turn on the switch for basically, normal looking ceiling lights.

Chris

terry_g

Ultra Member
Here are a couple tools that are in my tool box that are not of much use now.

IMG_3206.JPG

The top one is for the rocker nuts on a Cummins 855 engine that is pretty much obsolete. The bottom one is for the same engine for accessing the bolts that held the fuel pump, compressor and accessory drive.
I probably have a few more obsolete engine tools.

trevj

Ultra Member

I had so many bad experiences with Dewalt ( De-Wilt! ) tools failing, back when I was working (and not actually paying for any of the tools, either!), that I pretty much refused to even look at the newer stuff. Mostly battery issues, this all prior to the Lithium cell revolution that rolled through the industry. But your post also touches on a pet peeve too, and that is the different manufacturers doing all they are able, to maintain you as a captive in their own eco-system. I held off getting in to cordless tools for far too long, and it seemed to me that the Milwaukee stuff showed the most likely signs that they would be around for a while without any major format changes, so I went with those for my personal purchases.
FWIW, I currently have one small M18 Battery that is refusing to charge, that I am planning on tearing in to. Nothing scary in there, just a little wee bit of education required, on how the packs are wired, monitored, and balanced while charging... <shrieks!> "Oh no, wailly-wailly! Got to LEARN something new!" :)

We have a couple Milwaukee M18 grease guns around here, they work great for doing stuff like the tractor loader and other stuff that goes through grease in bulk. Much rather have a decent running manual grease gun for anything that I actually want to control the amount of grease that is applied, or be able to actually get a feel for how worn a joint is getting, based on the pressure needed to fill it with grease each time...