• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Tools you acquired that are useless

Tool

trevj

Ultra Member
a pretty sweet ride thanks to the roadholder forks and an extra 100cc. Shortly after that bike the Japanese took the market by storm.
Mine was a 1975, 850 Mk3. Fair to say, that by that time the Japanese ALREADY had eaten the Brit's Lunch, and were wondering what to do for afters!

It took me a lot of reading through old Brit bike magazines, as well as no small amount of reading through old issues of Model Engineer Magazine, to wrap my head around how badly the Brits did themselves over, in pursuit of the Export Dollar, that they were reliant upon to cover the costs of WW2, going pretty much in to the early 1970's and beyond! They stood by the sure path, and refused to innovate, until it killed a lot of their industries, using archaic technology and manufacturing methods. I recall one report where the Triumph Factory had moved, they took all the old tooling, but not the old operators. One multispindle drilling machine scrapped about a month's production of cases castings. Eventually they sent a car up to the old operators house, and paid him to come and troubleshoot. His first question was "Where is the Plank?". He said there was a plank leaning against the shop wall, where the machine was. You had to wedge the plank in between the spindles, and lean on that with your chest, as you drilled, or the holes went everywhere.... That was the state of the British bike industry, or at least, a large part of what survived!

trevj

Ultra Member
If I had a nickel for every time I fixed a chain saw that way. I don't think people who don't know about the brake should be allowed anywhere near a chainsaw.
I dunno. It got me a pretty darn good saw for free! And to be honest, the guy was well aware that it was way more saw than HE needed!

Worth remembering that folks will raise kids, without being anywhere near as aware of their limitations!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Fair to say, that by that time the Japanese ALREADY had eaten the Brit's Lunch,
Japanese had the Brits for lunch and pretty much all European bike manufacturers.
In ‘73 i bought a shiny new Bultaco Persang for MX competition.

This absolutely fits with the subject of this thread.

It was my worst purchase ever! I dearly loved my Bultaco, it was terrific, a great bike but not a good choice. I should have / could have bought the new Honda Elsinore. It was the new kid on block. It was a huge step forward for Honda in the dirt bike market. Riding as hard and as fast as i could - the Elsinore rider could pass me.