• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tig welding brass

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I'm struggling to figure out how to properly weld brass using a tig welder. Information that I found on other forums tells me it is best to braze brass using bronze brazing rods. This method seems to work fine on thicker material, but I am trying to find a way to braze or weld brass sheet metal. I also attempted to use silicon bronze filler metal with my tig welder, and again I was successful in welding 1/4 " brass plate but I continue to blow pin holes into the sheet metal. I would appreciate any advice on how to weld brass, or just sheet metal in general.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Chris, Check this out:

He covers the issue you're having with pin holes (Zinc in the brass outgassing, doens't lend itself to welding)

Brass and copper etc. you actually "heli-braze" where you never melt the base material, thick or thin.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just tried that today. Got everything white. Apparently TIG welding brass is not easy with the zinc going to evaporate. Messy. At least I didn't get sick this time around with zinc fumes.

I read that one method is to simply melt some base metal and dip the brass in it. I try it maybe next weekend.

Otherwise I guess you just need to braze stuff on. Zinc just has to low of evaporation point to weld as usual.