• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Thread indicator

glenhw

I drilled and tapped a 1/4 20 hole in the end of a 1/2 in stainless rod then milled a flat spot and drilled a hole through to take the cutter
Not sure if this is the best way but i dont have invalute cutters yet
Not perfect but seems to turn on the lead screw nicely
20220805_195514.jpg 20220805_195517.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well done! How did you dish the top of the teeth?

I'll be watching this thread.....

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just picked up a myford ml7 but it had a no thread indicator so i started building one cut the gear today my fist atemt at one ground a single point cutter and mounted in a piece of 1/2 in stock
I think it turned out ok

Beauty! Well done!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Do you have a set of plans or drawing showing how to time this threading indicator?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
What is the tpi of the myford leadscrew? My Southbend is 8tpi. If yours is the same I can find the instructions. The SB uses a 32 tooth gear but conceptually they would work with a 16 tooth gear.

glenhw

What is the tpi of the myford leadscrew? My Southbend is 8tpi. If yours is the same I can find the instructions. The SB uses a 32 tooth gear but conceptually they would work with a 16 tooth gear.
8tpi i went with 16 just because that what the factory one is